06/30/23 - London, GB - Hyde Park

alfierose

Sounds like they got a large crowd again. I just saw pics of Motley Crue's set at Wembley, and it was half empty. The seats weren't even set up to midfield. I can't ever remember seeing a stadium show where more than half the floor is just empty space.

• Like 3
  • Wow 1

13 minutes ago, GoBucky said:

Sounds like they got a large crowd again. I just saw pics of Motley Crue's set at Wembley, and it was half empty. The seats weren't even set up to midfield. I can't ever remember seeing a stadium show where more than half the floor is just empty space.

Just got back from it myself, should've just packed out the O2 instead of the half empty stadium setup... Great show from both though!

• Like 1

https://www.express.co.uk/entertainment/music/1786548/Guns-N-Roses-review-BST-Hyde-Park-Axl-Rose-voice-Slash

Not so positive. But not a hatchet job either.

The "A muddled concert with lots of problems for sure, but there was the occasional brilliance that just about made the experience of seeing Guns N' Roses live worth it." definitely raised an eyebrow, maybe they were assigned the job reviewing GNR and would have preferred not to be there. 

How they dealt with Axls fall, bugged me. Lets say Grohl falls on stage and gets up without missing a beat, the reviewer is going to kiss his ass and lets be honest Dave's voice is kinda shot too, but that's being mentioned. Axl falls and it's a metaphor for his shit vocals? give me a break. I listened to a bunch of clips, he sounded very passable and was clearly giving a good effort. Not great on some of the hits though, and that is always where the reviewers are listening... anyway 3/5 isn't bad. 

Takeaway here is that GNR probably should narrow down their setlists when they're playing these big festival dates in order to keep the momentum. The set is quite a treat for a hardcore fans, but if you just own the greatest hits or just listen to the top 10 spotify, you are going to be lost for big chunks at this gig. I appreciate they want to play and play a lot, but in certain situations it works against them. Their own show not associated with any festival, fire away with all the deep cuts if you want to do that. At least there, it should almost be expected that a large percentage would be familiar with the small amount of material released.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Oxford said:

Now I know how to sign ‘pussy full of maggots’.   That’ll come in handy. 

People around me at Glasgow were genuinely surprised by that lyric. One woman even turned up her nose a bit! 

Hope these people never hear about the band in the 90s......

• Haha 1

Two funny tidbits: there was this girl who thought it would be hilarious to make an "Axl, please fuck me" sign and hold it up during guns and the pretenders. (Axl wouldn't have fucked here in a million years btw). When Gio the stage security guy saw the sign, he took it from her, which was funny.

The same girl pissed in a bag or something right in the middle of the GC twice. Good stuff 

• Haha 3
  • Wow 1

Lots of delusional people on Reddit saying that Axl was going full rasp during the show and that it's the best he's sounded in 20 years. 

As someone who had Axl's vocals coming through very prominently on the speakers nearest to me, it was pretty much in-line with Axl's other vocal performances this year. There was a bit more rasp on a couple of songs, but nothing too spectacular. I'd say it's just a bit worse vocally than the show I saw in 2017.

Still a very awesome show overall though! The band and Axl really put a lot of effort into playing as well as they can. 

27 minutes ago, MildlyArtistic said:

I dunno if it's already been commented on in this thread, but before they played Absurd, Axl dedicated the song to "the things you might read".

So I'm guessing that's a shot at some of their Glasto critics!

Pretty much yeah.  And I loved that performance too.  Never had too much enthusiasm for that song, but I’ve drastically changed my opinion.  The live performance is much better than the single.