The "New Album" Thread. Thanks to the long ass thread, I’m going home!

The recent uptick in posts in this particular thread shows the various coping attitudes for when this tour starts and the set list inevitably confirms no new music releases on the horizon are in full swing. I imagine this will peak on 6/1 when Axl introduces Absurd as a “new song.” ☠️

• Sad 1

41 minutes ago, Tom2112 said:

It was material, but not entertaining. He kept saying it over and over. So even if I agreed it was just too much. I don't agree though. Wish pele had just stopped and not got his rightfully banning, just could not be helped even with all the warnings 

I'm referring to the arguments, not his repeating himself, as entertaining 

7 hours ago, 2020_Intensions said:

I disagree. While it is true that they've had lots of success and have no need for feeling embarrassed at the situation, I do think it is shameful to PRETEND to still want to release new music and not be honest about their intentions of just being legacy 

Only what Axl says matters, and he hasn't said anything in a long time. 

13 hours ago, SoulMonster said:

I don't know, you tell me. Besides, does it matter to my opinion that there is no shame in being a legacy act what other people might think, including your band member from this anectote? Nope, it doesn't. 

We don't have it both ways. This band is purely a legacy act. The quicker we fans understand this, the quicker people will stop whining when the band doesn't live up to their expectations of more. 

Even as a legacy act it doesnt live up to expectations with poor vocal performances, noodling and poor drum tone/pace.

Other legacy acts can at least perform their songs well 🙂

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, vloors said:

Even as a legacy act it doesnt live up to expectations with poor vocal performances, noodling and poor drum tone/pace.

Other legacy acts can at least perform their songs well 🙂

That's subjective. If you don't like it, don't attend. If many people agree with you, it will die out naturally. Based on reviews from the Australian leg last year, the shows are still great. We will see what happens. 

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

That's subjective. If you don't like it, don't attend. If many people agree with you, it will die out naturally. Based on reviews from the Australian leg last year, the shows are still great. We will see what happens. 

Yup, I went to three of the Australian shows last year, and they were all awesome. Doesn't mean I'm not desperately sad that my favourite band of all time won't release new music or change the setlist up much, but still a brilliant show to go and see even in their late 50's/60's. 

See them before they're all dead. 

• Like 4
  • Wow 1

21 hours ago, SoulMonster said:

I don't know, you tell me. Besides, does it matter to my opinion that there is no shame in being a legacy act what other people might think, including your band member from this anectote? Nope, it doesn't. 

We don't have it both ways. This band is purely a legacy act. The quicker we fans understand this, the quicker people will stop whining when the band doesn't live up to their expectations of more. 

I would completely except GNR being a legacy act and really would prefer if they were honest, then I could stop visiting the forum desperate for scraps of info and I could give up the frustration of waiting for CD2 etc. 

The fact they occasionally, or repeatedly in 4tus case, make comments about new music is blatantly shitty to the few remaining hardcore fans like us on here. I've never known another band that could have a following still unwilling to give up on new music or something interesting happening after 2 songs in 15 years. 

11 hours ago, SoulMonster said:

That comment is also subjective and always your opinion which you think reigns supreme on this board.

Who? The paid advertising/media. Lightbulb moment there alot of those media companies are paid to promote these shows. Do you think they will be writing bad reviews when the band is also paying their advertising? Australia media is small and not diverse. 

In my own opinion and as someone who actually attended and had been to plenty of prior Australian gnr shows their performance (not just axl) was far worse then any other legs I had seen. The shows were nowhere near being sold out so demand has dropped already. 

Maybe one day jump off the computer and watch a show you spent a few hundred on a ticket for and then let me know if it was up to scratch? 

6 hours ago, vloors said:

That comment is also subjective and always your opinion which you think reigns supreme on this board.

Who? The paid advertising/media. Lightbulb moment there alot of those media companies are paid to promote these shows. Do you think they will be writing bad reviews when the band is also paying their advertising? Australia media is small and not diverse. 

In my own opinion and as someone who actually attended and had been to plenty of prior Australian gnr shows their performance (not just axl) was far worse then any other legs I had seen. The shows were nowhere near being sold out so demand has dropped already. 

Maybe one day jump off the computer and watch a show you spent a few hundred on a ticket for and then let me know if it was up to scratch? 

There was nothing subjective in what I wrote. Stating that the reviews from the last leg of the tour were great, is not subjective, it's an objective description of the reviews. It's not cherry-picking.

Interesting suggestion that they reviews were good because reviewers are paid to promote the band. That's heavy criticism of the review profession :) Still, the reviews from the recent touring in Australia were better than the reviews from the rest of that tour, and also better than reviews from the last time they played in Australia, suggesting that even if the reviewers are paid to be nice (which I find absolutely no evidence for when reading GN'R reviews over the years :lol:) it would seem those shows were still comparably better. Additionally, GN'R has been receiving so many negative reviews over the years, I find it hard to believe the reviewers are paid to promote then. 

Too bad you weren't impressed with the Australian shows. Only yesterday I read a post here from someone else who praised those shows (!). I guess there is a level of subjectivity to this ;) I would never claim that the Australian shows were universally lauded by everyone attended, so I am not saying you are lying or anything. My argument is that based on the reviews from the Australian touring, the shows are still great. I can't let one subjective opinion from someone who cares about esoteric things like "drum tone" influence that. As a diehard fan who obsesses over Axl's vocal performance or whether Slash hits the right notes in This I Love, it might not be a great show. But to the vast majority of the audience, who come to hear the classic and have a great time, the shows are fantastic. They don't care about the things we obsess over.

Why are you asking for my personal opinion on the GN'R live shows? How would that influence anything of what I am writing? I actually know that my own subjective opinion of a show can't be extrapolated to casual fans which make up most of the attendees. Do you thin my complaints about the order of the set would resonate much with a casual fan who has never been to a GN'R show before? Do you think my complaints that Slash didn't use a killswitch on the There Was A Time solo would be met with much understanding from someone who might not have heard that song before? Because this is the thing, we obsess over things that isn't that important to most others. Even Axl's vocals aren't met with as much criticism from most people attending the shows who are there for the combined experience of a live show and don't fuss over one such isolated aspect of the show.

Anyway, saying that GN'R as a legacy act can't perform their songs well is a subjective statement. You might be wrong or you might be right, or it simple doesn't matter. People still enjoy the shows, and that's what matters, even if the songs doesn't sound exactly like they did when played live in 1987. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, rumandraisin said:

I've never known another band that could have a following still unwilling to give up on new music or something interesting happening after 2 songs in 15 years. 

Extreme has had a new album ready and waiting to be released since 2017.  For whatever reason it wasn't released until later this year. Their last album also was released in 2008. 

It took Black Sabbath 16 years to release a new album with Ozzy after the reunion. They released only two new songs in 1998. 

Van Halen, also took 16 years between reunion/two new Best Of songs and A Different Kind of Truth. They also according to Dave recorded almost full album worth of material in 2000/2002.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, tboneman said:

Extreme has had a new album ready and waiting to be released since 2017.  For whatever reason it wasn't released until later this year. Their last album also was released in 2008. 

It took Black Sabbath 16 years to release a new album with Ozzy after the reunion. They released only two new songs in 1998. 

Van Halen, also took 16 years between reunion/two new Best Of songs and A Different Kind of Truth. They also according to Dave recorded almost full album worth of material in 2000/2002.

Nice job finding bands that fit your point, although I wouldn’t include people like Ozzy, who’s glad he remembers his own name. Now try bands from the same rank, magnitude, or field, so to speak – you can use the Power Trip festival for reference: Metallica, Iron Maiden... hell, even AC/DC. What’s their frequency? And what are they doing for the fans between albums in terms of videos etc.? No, there is absolutely nothing normal about GNR’s approach, especially not considering they’ve slowly become just a legacy touring band yet keep dangling all sorts of carrots about working on new stuff etc. Your apologetics is futile. 
Oh wait, it’s all because of the covid thing, isn’t it? It slowed everything down! 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, jamillos said:

Nice job finding bands that fit your point, although I wouldn’t include people like Ozzy, who’s glad he remembers his own name. Now try bands from the same rank, magnitude, or field, so to speak – you can use the Power Trip festival for reference: Metallica, Iron Maiden... hell, even AC/DC. What’s their frequency? And what are they doing for the fans between albums in terms of videos etc.? No, there is absolutely nothing normal about GNR’s approach, especially not considering they’ve slowly become just a legacy touring band yet keep dangling all sorts of carrots about working on new stuff etc. Your apologetics is futile. 
Oh wait, it’s all because of the covid thing, isn’t it? It slowed everything down! 

Wait.. what? Lol. Why would I use bands that operate nothing like GnR as example instead of bands that do operate similarly to GnR? And I didn't say "the GnR approach is normal" but rather that it's not that unusual. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Oldest Goat said:

I think you're misinterpreting mate. He was just saying Axl and the other guys are getting old, so see them while you still can.

@Oldest GoatI know. :hug:I know , Sometime's it is hard to decipher text. It's just how he said so bluntly. I know it's the truth though. 

I hope everyone's keeping those tickets /emails safe. :dance:

4 hours ago, tboneman said:

Wait.. what? Lol. Why would I use bands that operate nothing like GnR as example instead of bands that do operate similarly to GnR? And I didn't say "the GnR approach is normal" but rather that it's not that unusual. 

These are the bands in their league (they even toured together!), and that kind of activity is normal in their case, and so should be in GNR’s. I think if there’s something we need less of, then it’s looking for reasons they should keep doing what they’re (not) doing. 
Yes, it’s not that unusual in some cases, but in their case, they should take examples from bands they’re most often associated with. Otherwise we might as well start comparing them with Pink Floyd.