The "New Album" Thread. Thanks to the long ass thread, I’m going home!

I’d be disappointed if “The General” ends up being “State of Grace,” only because now I’m excited for an imminent release I haven’t heard. “State of Grace” is a kickass fuckin’ tune though. I hope that sees the light of day eventually. 

I also enjoyed “Eye on You,” but it’s safe to say that’ll never get a studio release since they sampled it on “Hardskool.”

• Like 2

2 hours ago, KeyserSoze said:

Anyone wonder how a new GNR album would fair on the charts given recent history? 

Metallica falling to #2 for the first time because of Morgan Wallen!!! Foo Fighters new album is about to be #7 on the top 10 during it's debut week with not 1 but 2 Kpop albums (and Morgan Wallen) in front of it. 

Is rock well and truly dead in 2023? 

The whole 'rock is dead' thing is crazy. 

Of course it isn't. But if you expect the reaction to an old rock band releasing an album to be the same as it was when they were a hot new band back in the 1980s then you're going to be disappointed. 

Times move on. Things change. It's not a particularly shocking concept that people might prefer a shiny new pop band to a bunch of old rockers in 2023. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, allwaystired said:

It's not a particularly shocking concept that people might prefer a shiny new pop band to a bunch of old rockers in 2023. 

See it is shocking to me because it's pop music vs. rock music.  I know music is subjective but I mean... i just don't know how, even to casual listeners, pop is more exciting than rock. 

4 minutes ago, allwaystired said:

Of course it isn't. But if you expect the reaction to an old rock band releasing an album to be the same as it was when they were a hot new band back in the 1980s then you're going to be disappointed. 

Times move on. Things change. It's not a particularly shocking concept that people might prefer a shiny new pop band to a bunch of old rockers in 2023. 

depends what your criteria is for a genre that is still "alive". I don't think we're talking about old bands, we're talking about the current generation of rock bands maybe, how influential and/or mainstream it is and you can measure that in more than one way imo. How it influences current culture for example.

9 minutes ago, Rovim said:

depends what your criteria is for a genre that is still "alive". I don't think we're talking about old bands, we're talking about the current generation of rock bands maybe, how influential and/or mainstream it is and you can measure that in more than one way imo. How it influences current culture for example.

Culture has changed. There are more mediums, everything is ghettoised and in a bubble, people have access to too much stuff, so nothing has the sort of impact that it used to. 

You can wring your hands about it and say stuff was better in the past- but it's changed. 

Best thing to do is if/when GNR, or any other band for that matter you like, releases an album, go out, buy a copy, enjoy the hell out of it and don't worry so much about how many copies it's sold or what impact it's had. 

And if they can't get themselves sorted out to release an album, buy one from any of the number of hard working, talented bands out there looking for a break and a bit of recognition. 

Edited by allwaystired
  • Like 1

Eh, I'm not too concerned about charts. while rock music fans can be obsessive (looking at us, hanging  around on this forum for ages!), pop music fans can be on another level of obsessive with supporting their favourites reach the top of the charts. they host stuff like streaming parties or make dedicated playlists or guides on how to put songs on repeat (but they learn enough about how algorithms work so they put songs in between, or change the timing of when they listen to the song, so their constant listening to a certain song doesn't count as bots by the streaming website.)

examples of people talking about it:

https://old.reddit.com/r/kpop/comments/bdgugu/are_streaming_parties_okay_unpopular_opinion/

https://old.reddit.com/r/bangtan/comments/i5noa8/how_to_make_your_streams_count_on_youtube_and/

https://old.reddit.com/r/kpopthoughts/comments/nspzmc/i_wish_mass_streaming_didnt_exist_in_kpop/

https://old.reddit.com/r/kpopthoughts/comments/hgpeza/is_streaming_culture_ruining_kpop/

https://old.reddit.com/r/kpopthoughts/comments/u627sx/kpop_stans_need_to_understand_that_toxic/

I don't think we need to compete with that kind of intense behaviour that inflates the numbers. Let's just enjoy the new music (or not lol), and it'll reach where it will reach.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, allwaystired said:

Culture has changed. There are more mediums, everything is ghettoised and in a bubble, people have access to too much stuff, so nothing has the sort of impact that it used to. 

You can wring your hands about it and say stuff was better in the past- but it's changed. 

Best thing to do is if/when GNR, or any other band for that matter you like, releases an album, go out, buy a copy, enjoy the hell out of it and don't worry so much about how many copies it's sold or what impact it's had. 

And if they can't get themselves sorted out to release an album, buy one from any of the number of hard working, talented bands out there looking for a break and a bit of recognition. 

but these same new rules of the culture when it comes to music apply to all the genres. I'm not saying stuff was better in the past, what is better anyway? I think rock n' roll is alive kinda like other genres that are not in the mainstream anymore are alive: people are still creating music in those genres and there is still demand all over the world, but the impact to the culture is not really there anymore or it's not significant.

the way you measure this is with newer bands that are able to make a dent despite it being harder in some ways to do that in current times.

4 minutes ago, Rovim said:

but these same new rules of the culture when it comes to music apply to all the genres. I'm not saying stuff was better in the past, what is better anyway? I think rock n' roll is alive kinda like other genres that are not in the mainstream anymore are alive: people are still creating music in those genres and there is still demand all over the world, but the impact to the culture is not really there anymore or it's not significant.

the way you measure this is with newer bands that are able to make a dent despite it being harder in some ways to do that in current times.

K-pop making an impact on your way if life? Sure isn't on mine, or anyone i know! 

19 minutes ago, allwaystired said:

K-pop making an impact on your way if life? Sure isn't on mine, or anyone i know! 

9 minutes ago, Stay.Of.Execution said:

People who are waiting for bands to have an impact like Zeppelin did, haven't understood anything about a) the music industry these days and b) what rock music is about.

I'm not trying to attack how valid rock is nowdays in its current incarnation or its sub genres, just to be clear. I don't expect or think it's possible for a rock band to have an impact like when it was still fairly new like with Zeppelin.

the question is if rock is dead, my opinion is that it depends on what do you think it should do as a genre for it to be alive, and I think its reach as a genre has diminished and not just because of technology. Maybe it's part of it, but also people in the mainstream get bored among other factors.

Edited by Rovim

Both rock and pop music are sure huge businesses, but there’s way more money in the latter now. Instant stars who sometimes don’t even write their own music, as simple as it is. In rock, you need a bunch of talented guys who take years to get really good and have all kinds of attitudes and won’t just cater to some goddamn manager who only sees it as another opportunity to milk. Shallow stuff, like in many other aspects of today’s so-called culture. 

But you’ll always spot the difference where it really matters: 
- Smoke on the Water, Jumping Jack Flash, or Sweet Child O’ Mine have been known for decades and will be known for even longer in the future. 
- Now name or even sing one song from any of the current pop stars’ album from five years ago. 

See? That’s the difference. And that’s the real bottom line. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Rovim said:

I'm not trying to attack how valid rock is nowdays in its current incarnation or its sub genres, just to be clear. I don't expect or think it's possible for a rock band to have an impact like when it was still fairly new like with Zeppelin.

i wasn't talking about you though

1 hour ago, allwaystired said:

Ghost literally just debuted at #1 with their new EP.

Måneskin are blowing up

Deftones are bigger than ever and til tok is a big reason why.

Nu metal and pop punk are both having revivals.

Saying rock is dead is so silly.

Edited by Bitchisback
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, Stay.Of.Execution said:

they are? i'm a big fan but found their last two outputs rather underwhelming

Yeah they have had a few songs trending on tik Tok and were one of the biggest draws at the sick new world metal festival last month. Apparently a ton of younger people were there to see them.

Ohms is critically acclaimed but I had trouble getting into it myself.  

16 minutes ago, Bitchisback said:

Ghost literally just debuted at #1 with their new EP.

Måneskin are blowing up

Deftones are bigger than ever and til tok is a big reason why.

Nu metal and pop punk are both having revivals.

Saying rock is dead is so silly.

I'm not really into any of those bands- and I think that's what people mean really when they say 'rock is dead'- they don't like much of the rock music being made at the moment. 

Personally, I don't like any music more than GNR.....but they're unique, a one off. 

3 hours ago, Oldest Goat said:

The General is on a confirmed to be real setlist sheet? Fuck yes.

Something like...

1. Devious Bastard

2. Oh My God

3. Hard Skool

4. ABSURD

5. Quick Song

6. Oklahoama

7. Soul Monster

8. Seven

9. State of Grace

10. The General

11. Perhaps