The "New Album" Thread. Thanks to the long ass thread, I’m going home!

4 hours ago, Rovim said:

it's not like the only 2 options is to play it identical to the studio versions or just noodle with no direction or melody. Slash always liked to improvise and his playing was never identical to the studio versions, but imo his improvisation was far more interesting and with a lot more feel compared to how he sometimes plays now.

This. It's a matter that he can do it better, even if he's doing it on the fly. Even his solo spot in the 90s were more interesting.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Karice said:

Okay, so noodling is him playing aimless notes so that it becomes wild and it looks like he doesn't know WHERE the notes are going anymore. I can see how that could quickly become a huge problem for Fans.... 🤔 But I think Fans would hate it even more if he was just coasting, playing the exact same guitar notes over and over with no real passion. I know I personally would rather him play aimless notes than him playing the exact same guitar notes over and over with no real passion. 😳

Either works just fine. Some musicians play their music more for note and there is nothing wrong with that. Takes a lot of practice and precision

Some improv more and that’s okay too

33 minutes ago, ZoSoRose said:

Either works just fine. Some musicians play their music more for note and there is nothing wrong with that. Takes a lot of practice and precision

Some improv more and that’s okay too

Yeah, but a Musician playing the same exact guitar notes over and over like a coasting stale robot can't be good. 

7 hours ago, JimiRose said:

Slash's playing is definitely faster and lost some melody, but live it isn't really noticeable and he brings a great energy to the show. My main issue with him (aside from the CD solos) is in the extended solos in RQ and KOHD. They're not interesting enough to justify the extra minutes spent on them, and even though the whole drawn out KOHD is dull, RQ could still be a killer live song if they got rid of the 7 minute solo in the middle. 

This is what happens when you get off drugs/alcohol. Especially when that was the original fuel he used to write all of the classic riffs. There’s a magical songwriting  combo of heroin, cocaine and alcohol but unfortunately it also leads to a premature death.  

• Like 1

People think Slash has to play like he did thirty fucking years ago, and that's wrong. Eric Clapton, he's not the same as he was thirty years ago when he released Tears In Heaven, people change, they age, and that changes the total capacity of what they had when they were 25 years old. Joe Perry is not the same anymore, Mick Mars is not the same anymore, Duff is not the same anymore. I think most here like his solo album Believe in Me, but they don't like his last album where he talks about his panic attacks. I was able to go to a GNR concert in 2010 in Brazil, although I was stoned I had the privilege of seeing that phase of Axl, with the voice that reminded me of the 90s and after that it was not the same anymore, and I accept that. It's like accepting a friend as he really is. Some things can't change, but the feeling is still there.

Edited by TheSlashrose
  • Like 4

19 minutes ago, JimiRose said:

I follow the creative works company that do all the live graphics for GnR shows. Anyway they posted about their visuals for the GnR show at graspop, so I commented saying 'Hope you have something good for the General, it warrants it' - they replied with the shocked emoji face and then somewhat tongue in cheek said 'who is this 'the general' you speak of?'

So it's clear they have done graphics specifically for that song live. Now we just need the band to actually play it!

A screenshot would be appreciated😁

I just came across two quotes from Tommy from 2017, talking about the unreleased music:

Tommy: There’s some stuff with lyrics, some without. We did a lot of stuff that was supposed to be on Chinese Democracy – the record was meant to be more than one disc, but after spending so much time on it we just had to put an end to it. There’s also stuff that was held over from [the original lineup] before they all disbanded, so there’s some stuff that should someday see the light of day. [Rolling Stone, January 27, 2017]

Tommy: Well we recorded a lot of stuff. We recorded a shit ton of music. Whether it ever sees the light of day I couldn’t even guess, but we recorded a lot of stuff with the intent that it would be kinda staggered out, I think, you know to keep it rolling in a way. I’m not sure if it was Jimmy Iovine’s fuck up or someone’s fuck up that, you know, made a lot of that just…shut Axl down is what it did, but I’m not really sure where that stuff’s going to end up or what it’s gonna be. Who knows if it’ll be anything ever, you know? [Hard Rock Heaven, February 14, 2017]

Some interesting bits: 

* Seems like Axl already from before Tommy left the band in 2017 may have changed his plan to now release the unreleased music in a staggered fashion.

* Jimmy Iovine may have affected Axl to change his plans

* And he confirms that music exists from the UYI lineup, or the lineups immediately after the UYI touring (so likely including Paul)

These quotes, together with all other quotes I have collected in interviews up to February 2017 about the unreleased music, are found in this chapter: (32) 28. AUGUST 2008-FEBRUARY 2009: CHINESE DEMOCRACY IS RELEASED - Page 2 (a-4-d.com)

Edited by SoulMonster
  • Like 4

5 hours ago, SoulMonster said:

I just came across two quotes from Tommy from 2017, talking about the unreleased music:

Tommy: There’s some stuff with lyrics, some without. We did a lot of stuff that was supposed to be on Chinese Democracy – the record was meant to be more than one disc, but after spending so much time on it we just had to put an end to it. There’s also stuff that was held over from [the original lineup] before they all disbanded, so there’s some stuff that should someday see the light of day. [Rolling Stone, January 27, 2017]

Tommy: Well we recorded a lot of stuff. We recorded a shit ton of music. Whether it ever sees the light of day I couldn’t even guess, but we recorded a lot of stuff with the intent that it would be kinda staggered out, I think, you know to keep it rolling in a way. I’m not sure if it was Jimmy Iovine’s fuck up or someone’s fuck up that, you know, made a lot of that just…shut Axl down is what it did, but I’m not really sure where that stuff’s going to end up or what it’s gonna be. Who knows if it’ll be anything ever, you know? [Hard Rock Heaven, February 14, 2017]

Some interesting bits: 

* Seems like Axl already from before Tommy left the band in 2017 may have changed his plan to now release the unreleased music in a staggered fashion.

* Jimmy Iovine may have affected Axl to change his plans

* And he confirms that music exists from the UYI lineup, or the lineups immediately after the UYI touring (so likely including Paul)

These quotes, together with all other quotes I have collected in interviews up to February 2017 about the unreleased music, are found in this chapter: (32) 28. AUGUST 2008-FEBRUARY 2009: CHINESE DEMOCRACY IS RELEASED - Page 2 (a-4-d.com)

I think this confirms as to what Matt Sorum was saying that they had 7 complete songs and 7 songs they were working on at the time. 

I do believe we’ll get The General and Perhaps released by the end of 2024. There’s too much smoke and this follows the same pattern as Absurd and HS. Hopefully, they put them on a physical release like the HS vinyl.

After that, who knows? But The General was always my most wanted song

11 minutes ago, ZoSoRose said:

I do believe we’ll get The General and Perhaps released by the end of 2024. There’s too much smoke and this follows the same pattern as Absurd and HS. Hopefully, they put them on a physical release like the HS vinyl.

2024? By 2026 for sure though!

• Haha 1

I have no doubt that lots of material exists from mid 90s to early 00s but I don't think they've worked on anything new as a band in 20 years or so. 

I tend to believe Slash that there's just a handful of songs and everything else is either incomplete or shelved. 

To be honest, I don't mind too much anyways. I don't enjoy the CD era material at all. There's no guitar driven stuff, no riffs. Most of it is keyboard driven and full of layers etc. 

• Like 3

14 hours ago, ZoSoRose said:

I agree. Throw Atlas in sometime before 2025ish but I'm really not sure this tour will see Perhaps played and very doubtful it will get an actual release. 

26 minutes ago, jacdaniel said:

Do you play guitar? If so, you should understand what I mean. 

I don't mean that there's no guitar at all... Just that a lot of the songs are not really driven by guitars. 

Street of Dreams, Catcher, TIL, Prostitute, Madagascar, Perhaps

Play songs like Easy, Jungle, Patience, SCOM on guitar and people will instantly know what you are playing. They're guitar driven songs 

It's definitely not like classic gnr where guitar is front and centre on every song almost all the time. But I also rarely listen to the album without thinking of the guitars no matter what song I'm listening to.

I'd say that the guitar driven end of Chinese is the weaker side... But Scraped has some great riffs. Better, shacklers, I.R.S, If the world, Sorry... off the top of my head are all great/good guitar driven songs. It's a different album though, it doesn't have that song with the wttj riff that you can point to.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, jacdaniel said:

Street of Dreams, Catcher, TIL, Prostitute, Madagascar, Perhaps

yeah there's ballads, but see the weakness of your demonstration?
you have to add a demo which is not even on CD to try to prove your point

and Prostitute & Catcher In The Rye are pretty much guitar driven