The "New Album" Thread. Thanks to the long ass thread, I’m going home!

46 minutes ago, Sweersa said:

I was wondering about that. Absurd still seems "louder" than Perhaps, and the drums too low in the mix, and the guitars too high. 

I'm still hoping for a rerelease of Hard Skool with a proper mix/mastering. It doesn't have to be any different other than to fix the issues. 

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, uzi your illusion said:

That famous Bob Ezrin quote about only having two great songs on the album, did we ever figure out what two songs he was referring to?

Would love to know. Maybe The Blues and CD or Madagascar? Back in 2000 the album was basically the Village demos.

3 hours ago, uzi your illusion said:

That famous Bob Ezrin quote about only having two great songs on the album, did we ever figure out what two songs he was referring to?

Didn't he tell them they had three songs? (Implying three good songs) 

4 hours ago, Voodoochild said:

I'm still hoping for a rerelease of Hard Skool with a proper mix/mastering. It doesn't have to be any different other than to fix the issues. 

By fix, they should cut the bass and school bell intro, restore the Josh drums and Robin guitar intro, restore Robin's solo and also all of Josh's drums. :) 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • ABSUЯD 1

8 minutes ago, El Guapo said:

I really don't like that plan.

I mean, I understand that for some reason this seems to be the only way for them to do it, but one song at a time is difficult to enjoy for me.

Perhaps for example, that's a solid album track, would be kinda cool between two rockers on an actual album.

As a stand alone single it's just...there now. 

Totally agree. Release all reworked CD era songs at once and close that fucking chapter. Then concentrate on new homogeneous music. That would have happened in a perfect world. I don't think we'll get truly new music written by Axl and Slash, although their attendance on Michael Schenker's album gives somehow hope.

Edited by Free Bird
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Free Bird said:

Totally agree. Release all reworked CD era songs at once and close that fucking chapter. Then concentrate on new homogeneous music. That would have happened in a perfect world. I don't think we'll get truly new music written by Axl and Slash, although their attendance on Michael Schenker's album gives somehow hope.

Yeah...and,  if you put these single together in a playlist they all sound so different, production wise. Perhaps is better mixed but quieter, etc.

14 minutes ago, El Guapo said:

Yeah...and,  if you put these single together in a playlist they all sound so different, production wise. Perhaps is better mixed but quieter, etc.

That doesn't make sense at all to do it like this with different producers. But it's GnR...

57 minutes ago, El Guapo said:

I noticed I have to jack the volume up when listening to Perhaps in my car. Is that what you mean when you say “quieter”?

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Voodoochild said:

I would say it's not too loud like the other ones. Which is a good thing for sure.

It sounds better than the other two, yes. But it sucks if you put em together in a playlist.

Plus, a song like Perhaps would function a lot better in the context of an album, imo.

• PERHAPS 2

5 minutes ago, El Guapo said:

It sounds better than the other two, yes. But it sucks if you put em together in a playlist.

Plus, a song like Perhaps would function a lot better in the context of an album, imo.

This is one of the things that bothers me about these song releases. Good to have music out, but it would've been better to construct an EP (or an album... but let's be real) with consistent production throughout (consistent also meaning competent production), so that these songs could all be appreciated in a certain context. I know most know the origins of these songs, and so they come from different times, stages, etc. But they could've curated something a bit more purposeful, which would've allowed the songs to have a true second life in something more carefully thought out. Oh well.

• Like 2

I'm still crossing my fingers for an eventual HS remix, Absurd feels more similar sonically to Perhaps than it ever did with HS imo.

Edit: I disagree with myself, it's mostly the bass and drums that sound way better in Absurd versus Hard Skool.

Edited by bmus1

21 hours ago, Free Bird said:

I really don't care if it's just a b-side. Much more important to me is, if it's gonna be released as a CD or at least on streaming platforms. But I really want a CD for my collection since my LP player is damaged.

Edited by fabrph5

I don't find ABSURD particularly compressed/loud compared to Perhaps, both sound about the same to me, Hard Skool is the one where I have to turn down the volume when I listen to the three in a row.

Edited by Amir

6 hours ago, El Guapo said:

I really don't like that plan.

I mean, I understand that for some reason this seems to be the only way for them to do it, but one song at a time is difficult to enjoy for me.

Perhaps for example, that's a solid album track, would be kinda cool between two rockers on an actual album.

As a stand alone single it's just...there now. 

The release plan is why I think there will be no more music after the Chinese leftovers. It seems they're really spreading it to maintain interest in the touring over a prolonged period and so releasing two songs every two years is a way to that, plus there's another release there if do another compilation after they're all released in a decade (assuming there is an album's worth of leftovers).  At the current pace the band will be in their 70s by the time all the leftovers have come out, which whilst no age at all now really, I can't see Axl deciding to hit the studio properly for the first time since his 40s when it's got that far down the road.

It would make sense to just put the leftovers out and start from scratch given most of the current lineup had no real input in crafting the songs but then we were saying that with the 2009-2014 band. I think another factor is that Slash has a hugely successful solo band as an avenue for new music and as he can play decent sized venues himself with sets filled with his own stuff, the dude has no need to do new music with Guns as a creative outlet. I mean, he's able to play more of his stuff live in a solo tour than he'd be able to do in a big stadium tour. The Pumpkins have just finished putting three albums' worth of a rock opera out but their sets are still primarily comprised of the back catalogue. I also think Slash and Duff would probably be a bit anxious about hitting a studio with Axl to record from scratch again. They're in a good place friendship wise, I could see them not wanting to jeopardise that. 

Edited by Seb91
  • Like 4

Hard Skool has a very dry mix compared to Perhaps and Absurd, it really only has layers and "CD" sounding elements in the bridge. Probably more compressed to glue the mix together a bit more. 

EDIT: I have to say, they did a great job giving old songs the same feel and continuity, while sounding modern! 

Edited by Cory Trevor

9 minutes ago, Cory Trevor said:

Hard Skool has a very dry mix compared to Perhaps and Absurd, it really only has layers and "CD" sounding elements in the bridge. Probably more compressed to glue the mix together a bit more. 

EDIT: I have to say, they did a great job giving old songs the same feel and continuity, while sounding modern! 

I side glanced your name and was like WTF is Corey Taylor doing on MYGNR! 👀

• Haha 3