The "New Album" Thread. Thanks to the long ass thread, I’m going home!

10 hours ago, CAFC Nick said:

Wonder if the release of ‘The General’ was closure for a lot of people? Certainly felt that way for me, especially with the ‘Monsters’ leak, feels like this part of my life has got that closure. Anything from here on out is a bonus but I no longer have any expectations or clamour.

100%

Getting that and Soul Monster cements it. I’d gladly take more (Zodiac, Oklahoma, and Tonto with vocals would be amazing… would be curious about Seven too), but it’s all gravy.

The General and Soul Monster were far and away the most wanted grails left. Getting those in October really helps close a chapter. Plus, we have Atlas, Checkmate, and a lot of the others at least instrumentally that we were after for years and years

• Like 3

I do feel like I’ve personally gotten closure as a CD fan and don’t really know if I care about a new album happening anymore. We’ve already basically gotten CDII at this point, between the 5 reunion tracks, Atlas, Going Down, SoG and Nothing. There’ll always be a few stray titles that we’ll never hear anything about but generally speaking, I’m fine with the discography ending here and probably won’t be ever expecting new music again. If it happens, great, if not, we have gotten the absolute bare minimum of what CDII could’ve been.

• Like 1
  • GNFNR 1

it's not over yet... I'm fine with it either way, but any more tracks with Axl, Duff, and Slash on them is something I'm very much still interested in. a cover, a Chinese leak, a new song, a collaboration, whatever. 

no one sounds like Axl, Slash, and Duff. I see it as still open ended, you've got a lot of talented writers/composers in the lineup so I don't put a clock on it and Slash's approach works for me: if it happens, it happens.

in the end, Axl is just going to do what he wants to do and there is technically still more time for more Gn'R music to be released.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, ZoSoRose said:

100%

Getting that and Soul Monster cements it. I’d gladly take more (Zodiac, Oklahoma, and Tonto with vocals would be amazing… would be curious about Seven too), but it’s all gravy.

The General and Soul Monster were far and away the most wanted grails left. Getting those in October really helps close a chapter. Plus, we have Atlas, Checkmate, and a lot of the others at least instrumentally that we were after for years and years

i feel the opposite actually, getting "new music" made me want more and more. 

im still hoping we get monsters, atlas and state of grace released and id love a wichita lineman studio release. 

most of all i want to see what type of music would come out this formation, my dream would be a blues and country inspired album. 

I will always want more music. Because I like GN'R. Why would I prefer not hearing more of music I like? 

As for closure. I don't think I was ever that emotionally attached that I needed some kind of closure to move on. I would be disappointed, though, if I never got to hear more of the CD era music. 

17 hours ago, jamillos said:

Nah because what we thought was The General was Monsters all along, and a lot of the hype was connected with the particular tune, whether the initial quality or the later cool remix. So until "Monsters" gets released... 

To add: I (mis)understood this solely as a closure regarding the CD era. 
As for any general "closure" with respect to GNR - no, that’s ludicrous. It’s just one of the demos, and I still believe stuff is coming. Why the hell wouldn’t it after all. 
Maybe not as much as Slash hinted initially back then around 2016, but still. And since TG is actually Monsters, the whole legend thing was kind of a dud anyway, to me that is. 

21 hours ago, jamillos said:

Nah because what we thought was The General was Monsters all along, and a lot of the hype was connected with the particular tune, whether the initial quality or the later cool remix. So until "Monsters" gets released... 

But realistically we have ‘Monsters’. No doubt this is the final version and not an early demo so apart from it being released via official channels we do have it.

Edited by CAFC Nick

1 hour ago, CAFC Nick said:

But realistically we have ‘Monsters’. No doubt this is the final version and not an early demo so apart from it being released via official channels we do have it.

and it also seems like we were supposed to have it which means, if true, that Axl wanted it released so I'm optimistic about Gn'R releasing it officially at some point in the future.

2 hours ago, CAFC Nick said:

You're not wrong, but it's still kind of missing the official stamp, if you know what I mean. :)

5 minutes ago, JimiRose said:

Nearly 27k messages and always defending GnR suggest some emotional attachment. This is a safe space, you can admit it here. This is a judgement free zone. 

No, not to the extent I would need any closure.

13 minutes ago, JimiRose said:

We did? 

Yeah kinda confused as to what he's talking about. I thought it was obvious that it instrumentally was a remix of Prostitute. I haven't seen anyone discuss Blood in the Water in regard to The General or Monsters either.

16 hours ago, Rindmelon said:

I'm guessing that he means that while the music comes from prostitute, the vocals are probably re purposed from an unreleased song.

I still dont understand how The General & Monsters helps to narrow down where Blood in the Water vocals comes from. We have literally no information regarding this. How do we know that's even from an unreleased song? Axl could have recorded that specifically for that remix, like how he went back and recorded This I Love.

8 minutes ago, 2020_Intensions said:

I still dont understand how The General & Monsters helps to narrow down where Blood in the Water vocals comes from. We have literally no information regarding this. How do we know that's even from an unreleased song? Axl could have recorded that specifically for that remix, like how he went back and recorded This I Love.

Well i guess it narrows it down slightly in the sense that we know the BITW vocals don't come from either of those two songs and we didn't know that before. At least i think that's what he was getting at. Only @Its Tino knows what he meant.

Vocals could be from another song or specifically for that remix I guess but if they were just for the remix then why only one line? who knows for sure

3 hours ago, Rindmelon said:

Well i guess it narrows it down slightly in the sense that we know the BITW vocals don't come from either of those two songs and we didn't know that before. At least i think that's what he was getting at. Only @Its Tino knows what he meant.

Vocals could be from another song or specifically for that remix I guess but if they were just for the remix then why only one line? who knows for sure

I could see it being specific for that remix. Especially since we know he recorded vocals for This I Love version 2. But it certainly could be something older. But with what we’ve seen from the locker leaks there’s a pretty good chance it’s not a sample from a full song. So I don’t think there’s any narrowing it down. I think Blood in the Water is just what it is. Those vocals only. Probably had no instrumental and Prostitute fit it. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Grayfox said:

I could see it being specific for that remix. Especially since we know he recorded vocals for This I Love version 2. But it certainly could be something older. But with what we’ve seen from the locker leaks there’s a pretty good chance it’s not a sample from a full song. So I don’t think there’s any narrowing it down. I think Blood in the Water is just what it is. Those vocals only. Probably had no instrumental and Prostitute fit it. 

I mean realistically we will probably never know for sure either way, but one of the small things that kind of leads me to think it might not just be vocals created for the remix are the voices in the background. 

The spoken word parts of 'blood in the water' sound like Brain or at least somebody else that's not Axl & if the vocals for the song were done just for the remix then why not have Axl do those parts as well. Where as if Brain just sampled a line from another song, or even an unused acapella idea or something then it seems a bit more logical he would have to fill it out himself with those backing vocals (if you can really call them that). TBF the best person to ask him would be @Gambit83 if he ever has him on his show again. I hope he does because I'd like to know for sure either way

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Rindmelon said:

I mean realistically we will probably never know for sure either way, but one of the small things that kind of leads me to think it might not just be vocals created for the remix are the voices in the background. 

The spoken word parts of 'blood in the water' sound like Brain or at least somebody else that's not Axl & if the vocals for the song were done just for the remix then why not have Axl do those parts as well. Where as if Brain just sampled a line from another song, or even an unused acapella idea or something then it seems a bit more logical he would have to fill it out himself with those backing vocals (if you can really call them that). TBF the best person to ask him would be @Gambit83 if he ever has him on his show again. I hope he does because I'd like to know for sure either way

Yeah definitely would be worth asking him. Speculating is fun for a while but after a decade it’s become redundant. I like to just think it’s something like Nothin’ or Eye On You that was less “finished” and Brain thought was cool. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Grayfox said:

Yeah definitely would be worth asking him. Speculating is fun for a while but after a decade it’s become redundant. I like to just think it’s something like Nothin’ or Eye On You that was less “finished” and Brain thought was cool. 

This, or recorded specifically for the remix, are the most likely answers, a lot more than coming from an unreleased song imo, especially considering I don't believe there are more finished unreleased songs from ChiDem.

11 hours ago, 2020_Intensions said:

This, or recorded specifically for the remix, are the most likely answers, a lot more than coming from an unreleased song imo, especially considering I don't believe there are more finished unreleased songs from ChiDem.

Yeah I don’t believe there’s too many more songs. I’m in the camp where I think there is some but very few. I’d say maybe 5 more songs that have lyrics. Not counting Atlas and State of Grace. Either time will tell or time will make it so we all forget the questions that lack answer. In the end all the ones who care will be gone and the only ones left will be future kids listening to Appetite or Greatest Hits sadly

• Like 1

I wonder how difficult it is if at all for Axl to write lyrics nowdays and how interested he is if at all in writing lyrics. also, did he write any new lyrics and vocal melodies and completed any tunes, even from the Chinese era since the reunion in 2016. so many questions.

1 hour ago, Rovim said:

I wonder how difficult it is if at all for Axl to write lyrics nowdays and how interested he is if at all in writing lyrics. also, did he write any new lyrics and vocal melodies and completed any tunes, even from the Chinese era since the reunion in 2016. so many questions.

Highly doubtful. I remember in the China Exchange interview he talked about interest in creating film scores, which I think he would be really good at considering the instrumental movie like quality of many GnR songs. But that was now back in 2016 and most likely has gone nowhere. I think, as far as commercial ventures goes, it's clear Axl has been creatively retired since 2008. Singing on a cartoon show does not count, as many hear like to think it does. Releasing 4 songs that are over 20 years old and pretending that they're new I think is the strongest evidence towards his creative retirement.