The "New Album" Thread. Thanks to the long ass thread, I’m going home!

29 minutes ago, sofine11 said:

So, in reality, does the tour announcement make new music more or less likely now? I legitimately have no real opinion anymore. 😔

Well, take any pick. I'm slightly more hopeful for this year regarding a new single, since Slash promised it for last summer, this year's tour seems to be shorter, they've had some time, and it would make zero sense not to release at least the said one new song, especially when it was probably finished god knows how long ago. So it would make sense. But as usual, this is GNR. 

Edited by jamillos
  • Like 2

23 minutes ago, Sweersa said:

I initially thought Absurd and Hard Skool were released in support of a full studio album. :P

Now, it seems the best we have to look forward to is another single, or "EP" like the last one. 

Re-worked Atlas Shrugged and Oh My God, starts soon!

I’ll take that TBH 🤣

I know slash alluded to it…but we very well might get stuff here and there and it will get cobbled together at somepoint as a compilation.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jamillos said:

Well, take any pick. I'm slightly more hopeful for this year regarding a new single, since Slash promised it for last summer, this year's tour seems to be shorter, they've had some time, and it would make zero sense not to release at least the said one new song, especially when it was probably finished god knows how long ago. So it would make sense. But as usual, this is GNR. 

Things making zero sense is GNR logic. It made no sense not to continue releasing the singles every few months after the initial ones came out. It makes no sense for Slash to say that there's new music coming (last year) and not release it. 

There's always a delay with GNR, so maybe whatever possible delay there was it was worked out in the months since they toured last.... I mean, we're talking about firing the singles up on streaming services and making some dodgy lyric video, not sure what could be getting in the way🤣 ...oh wait Axl, Axl is again over-thinking and that means no singles.  

I don't expect them release anything for this upcoming tour, but I didn't expect Absurd/HardSkool so... who the fack knows!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Tom2112 said:

Things making zero sense is GNR logic. It made no sense not to continue releasing the singles every few months after the initial ones came out. It makes no sense for Slash to say that there's new music coming (last year) and not release it. 

There's always a delay with GNR, so maybe whatever possible delay there was it was worked out in the months since they toured last.... I mean, we're talking about firing the singles up on streaming services and making some dodgy lyric video, not sure what could be getting in the way🤣 ...oh wait Axl, Axl is again over-thinking and that means no singles.  

I don't expect them release anything for this upcoming tour, but I didn't expect Absurd/HardSkool so... who the fack knows!

Yeah. Although that Slash's promise could have been that he really believed they'd release something at that time, but then... plans changed. Right, who knows.

• Like 1

Yeah it’s hard to articulate how I feel. I mean of course I hope they end up releasing a couple tracks leading up to the tour, but if you’ve been around for a minute you understand their track record is dogshit. Only thing we can really do is try to keep our expectations in check along the way.

Imagine: London, Jun 30th, 2023

Axl:
"Okay... so... since you guys waited so patently, we still have a... a record, no way, no way, that's two, no way, that's... four records comin' out in the middle of July... four CDs... and... we're wanna bring out a friend of us... hopely a friend of yours ladies & gentlemen Brian May... and this is my personal baby from the set... It is somethin' called... Perhabs"

• Like 1
  • GNFNR 1

2 hours ago, t-p-d-a said:

Imagine: London, Jun 30th, 2023

Axl:
"Okay... so... since you guys waited so patently, we still have a... a record, no way, no way, that's two, no way, that's... four records comin' out in the middle of July... four CDs... and... we're wanna bring out a friend of us... hopely a friend of yours ladies & gentlemen Brian May... and this is my personal baby from the set... It is somethin' called... Perhabs"

I think it's Robin's playing on Perhaps, not May, who played on unreleased versions of Catcher, Atlas, and Riad if I'm not mistaken. 

• Like 1

I find it hillarious that 50 percent of all the new music released since 2008 is Silkworms :lol:

If one of the first "Slash is here again and we have studio material here" songs is Silkworms, I think it is best to just assume the band is done with anything non-tour related lol.  What's the point otherwise

Edited by WhazUp

15 minutes ago, WhazUp said:

I find it hillarious that 50 percent of all the new music released since 2008 is Silkworms :lol:

If one of the first "Slash is here again and we have studio material here" songs is Silkworms, I think it is best to just assume the band is done with anything non-tour related lol.  What's the point otherwise

On the flipside of that, they also released Hard Skool. Based on that it seems that Axl is still focused on getting the rest of the CD material out, and since Slash has confirmed this and said he had worked on a bunch of additional songs from that era, I think it is safe to assume the band it not done with everything non-tour related and that we can expect more music to be released lol. 

23 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

On the flipside of that, they also released Hard Skool. Based on that it seems that Axl is still focused on getting the rest of the CD material out, and since Slash has confirmed this and said he had worked on a bunch of additional songs from that era, I think it is safe to assume the band it not done with everything non-tour related and that we can expect more music to be released lol. 

That is also true and if that is indeed the case let's put it this way - if how Hard Skool was mixed is any indication, we are in this case either getting underwhelming brickwalled and disjointed mixes with cool Slash guitar on it, or nothing at all.  Neither seem great lmao

3 minutes ago, WhazUp said:

That is also true and if that is indeed the case let's put it this way - if how Hard Skool was mixed is any indication, we are in this case either getting underwhelming brickwalled and disjointed mixes with cool Slash guitar on it, or nothing at all.  Neither seem great lmao

I didn't mind the mixing myself. I do mind replacing musicians that originally were part of writing songs with Slash just to satisfy the public who thinks music is somehow automagically elevated just by him being on it. 

That being said I still enjoy Hard Skool, I think it is a great rocker, and I look forward to what they have in store for us next. It is indefinitely better that not getting any music.

16 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

I didn't mind the mixing myself. I do mind replacing musicians that originally were part of writing songs with Slash just to satisfy the public who thinks music is somehow automagically elevated just by him being on it. 

That being said I still enjoy Hard Skool, I think it is a great rocker, and I look forward to what they have in store for us next. It is indefinitely better that not getting any music.

automagically? I like this. For me, I really dislike the mixing, everything is so compressed. Such a 180 from how Chinese Democracy sounds. 

I also enjoy Hard Skool, but I think it's one of the most by the numbers Guns tunes to date. Fairly generic compared to most tunes in the Gn'R catalog imho. I think the chorus is strong, the bridge on both versions as well.

the song is much weaker without Josh's drums imo, but I like both versions. I believe what Slash said about how he thinks the more "epic" couple of tunes he mentioned are of high quality.

technically, we don't know the reason for why Slash was added, cause maybe Axl listened to Slash's version and thought it was an improvement over the demo versions. For example, I think Absurd is a better tune thanks to Slash, especially live.

Edited by Rovim

22 hours ago, Sweersa said:

I initially thought Absurd and Hard Skool were released in support of a full studio album. :P

Now, it seems the best we have to look forward to is another single, or "EP" like the last one. 

Re-worked Atlas Shrugged and Oh My God, starts soon!

Why are you saying "the best we have to look forward to" when Slash months ago laid out what the plan is ... ??? We are getting another 1-2 songs at some point (most likely this year) and then another 1-2 songs, and then all 4-6 will be released together. 

7 hours ago, SoulMonster said:

The rest of the material that he actually recorded vocals for you mean ... 

2 minutes ago, 2020_Intensions said:

Why are you saying "the best we have to look forward to" when Slash months ago laid out what the plan is ... ??? We are getting another 1-2 songs at some point (most likely this year) and then another 1-2 songs, and then all 4-6 will be released together. 

Because at this point, best case is we get a few singles. An album is off the table, for now it seems.

I don't think 4-6 songs will be released in a compilation. An EP or EPs? I thought Slash was referring to an eventual album after they squeeze out their singles. (Just because they only played on 4-6 songs doesn't mean they can't release songs they didn't touch, which I hope is the case on an eventual album) 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, sofine11 said:

The next singles really need to be the one two punch of The General and Soul Monster. Something both unexpected and “fresh” sounding.

I don't know about that. Most people, the vast majority of fans never heard the 2019 leaks. If, for example, Axl chooses to release Atlas and State Of Grace first and it sounds cool, then it would make no difference cause all of these tunes from the leaks or unheard CD era tracks are new to most fans.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Rovim said:

I don't know about that. Most people, the vast majority of fans never heard the 2019 leaks. If, for example, Axl chooses to release Atlas and State Of Grace first and it sounds cool, then it would make no difference cause all of these tunes from the leaks or unheard CD era tracks are new to most fans.

I guess I just mean it shouldn’t be a track the media can say first leaked in 2019 since it dates the material a bit.