07/13/23 - Paris, FR - LaDefense

downzy

My theories regarding Slash’ perceived dip in playing quality 

1) boredom - he’s been playing the same songs for nearly 30 years

2) in-ear monitors.. Noel Gallagher did an interesting interview with the Pedal Show where he explained how much of a vibe killer in-ears are. I concur. I tried in-ears on a gig once and hated it SO much, went straight back to using wedges. It completely takes you out of the gig. Everyone’s playing becomes less sympathetic and dynamic, the groove is off because you’re getting an instant signal, so players rush ahead. It’s very odd. Slash is playing like he’s practicing and winging it alone in his bedroom sometimes… which is the effect in-ears have on you.

the Elton John Glasto set was so interesting because his band were all still using wedges/monitors. Not one of them had in-ears, other than Nigel Olson (the drummer, who was wearing cans rather than in-ears). They all played together so much better. It’s so much more conducive to a band playing TOGETHER rather than in their own little worlds with their own little mixes (yes I know people have their own mixes in monitors but not to the same degree as in ears.) the sound is hitting them the same way it is hitting the audience when they’re using wedges and they can play more sympathetically with one another. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Billy Cundy said:

2) in-ear monitors.. Noel Gallagher did an interesting interview with the Pedal Show where he explained how much of a vibe killer in-ears are. I concur. I tried in-ears on a gig once and hated it SO much, went straight back to using wedges. It completely takes you out of the gig. Everyone’s playing becomes less sympathetic and dynamic, the groove is off because you’re getting an instant signal, so players rush ahead. It’s very odd. Slash is playing like he’s practicing and winging it alone in his bedroom sometimes… which is the effect in-ears have on you.

the Elton John Glasto set was so interesting because his band were all still using wedges/monitors. Not one of them had in-ears, other than Nigel Olson (the drummer, who was wearing cans rather than in-ears). They all played together so much better. It’s so much more conducive to a band playing TOGETHER rather than in their own little worlds with their own little mixes (yes I know people have their own mixes in monitors but not to the same degree as in ears.) the sound is hitting them the same way it is hitting the audience when they’re using wedges and they can play more sympathetically with one another. 

Elton was so boring at Glasto

6 minutes ago, Billy Cundy said:

Yes, Slash has mentioned that he's not used to in-ear monitors (I think he doesn't use them with SMKC). So that's probably a big part of it.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

Yes, Slash has mentioned that he's not used to in-ear monitors (I think he doesn't use them with SMKC). So that's probably a big part of it.

Well if he doesn’t use them for SMKC,  results are still the same regarding his playing, lead sound and too many notes when playing SMKC… 
So while I agree in-ears aren’t exactly the best solution for some applications, it doesn’t explain everything here unfortunately.

• Like 2

It’s interesting how the praise for Slash’s work wavers between pages on this thread.

I’ll admit— some of what I’ve heard in the last few years has been uninspired (from the whole band in general), but Slash’s TWAT solo here is tremendous and heartfelt. An earnest attempt to be true to Buckethead’s work on the album but his tone here may transcend the album’s.

There is almost a Chris Isaak-feel where the guitar is just weeping at the very end. It’s fucking beautiful. 

They seem to be really feeling it. Axl’s looking healthy. Very driven. I’m looking forward to what’s coming down the pipe.

• GNFNR 1
  • ABSUЯD 1

39 minutes ago, doakes said:

It’s interesting how the praise for Slash’s work wavers between pages on this thread.

I’ll admit— some of what I’ve heard in the last few years has been uninspired (from the whole band in general), but Slash’s TWAT solo here is tremendous and heartfelt. An earnest attempt to be true to Buckethead’s work on the album but his tone here may transcend the album’s.

There is almost a Chris Isaak-feel where the guitar is just weeping at the very end. It’s fucking beautiful. 

They seem to be really feeling it. Axl’s looking healthy. Very driven. I’m looking forward to what’s coming down the pipe.

yeah it's the same 3 chords like in Wicked Game I think during the outro which gives it a similar vibe and I really liked Slash's tone in his Twat solo and appreciate the effort he put into it. Sounded very cool and made me want even more a brand new album from the current lineup with that sort of style from Slash. TWAT kinda has a similar vibe to Estranged at least when it comes to the solos imo.

• GNFNR 2

18 hours ago, Billy Cundy said:

I think the boredom is a big part of it. It's not as special as it used to be, like 10 years ago when he was playing some of these songs again for the first time in years with SMKC.

18 hours ago, Blackstar said:

18 hours ago, freak6767 said:

Well if he doesn’t use them for SMKC,  results are still the same regarding his playing, lead sound and too many notes when playing SMKC… 
So while I agree in-ears aren’t exactly the best solution for some applications, it doesn’t explain everything here unfortunately.

He is using them in SMKC too.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, MaskingApathy said:

He is using them in SMKC too.

Then he must have started using them on the more recent tours, because here he said that he hadn't used them before his return to GN'R:

https://www.musicradar.com/news/slash-technique-can-become-the-main-aspiration-but-for-me-its-more-about-expressing-some-sort-of-emotional-content

2 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

Then he must have started using them on the more recent tours, because here he said that he hadn't used them before his return to GN'R:

https://www.musicradar.com/news/slash-technique-can-become-the-main-aspiration-but-for-me-its-more-about-expressing-some-sort-of-emotional-content

That's correct, the LTD tour was the first SMKC tour that he was using them. AL and WOF tours were wedges (although the other guys were on in ears already).

• Like 2

Looking at setlist.fm, I think this is only the fourth ever show where both Prostitute and TWAT were played.

1. 19th December 2009, Tokyo

2. 6th June 2014, Vegas

3. 29th November 2017, Inglewood

4. 13th July 2023, Paris

Also, can our resident Versace experts @Lio and @Rovim let me know if this is a Versace shirt, and if so, where one may purchase it? 👀(the banding on the shirt is from the screen, not the design :P )

image.thumb.jpeg.0c87b70e39c0f1c0a8654cc37cb94e61.jpeg

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
1 hour ago, Axl_morris said:

Got a vid of prostitute & there was a time I've never uploaded

If there decent quality and you want to send them along then please PM me them. I know I have done TWAT already, but if i can get enough footage maybe i could do the whole show. Huge task & I'm no FRANS but would be fun

Just now, Rindmelon said:

If there decent quality and you want to send them along then please PM me them. I know I have done TWAT already, but if i can get enough footage maybe i could do the whole show. Huge task & I'm no FRANS but would be fun

I put up prostitute but it's filmed vertically. Was only really meant for viewing on my phone. Hell of a show. 

• Like 1