06/21/23 - Oslo, NO - Tons of Rock

downzy

2 hours ago, colonizedmind said:

"You be rippin' off the fuckin' kids
While they be payin' their hard earned money to read about the bands they want to know about
Printin' lies, startin' controversy
You want to antagonize me? antagonize me motherfucker!"

That is  exactly it. 

1 hour ago, MaskingApathy said:

I totally agree, I like the longer show and I want to hear as many songs as possible, especially considering how much I've paid for tickets each time I've seen them. For this year I'm looking at spending around $400 so I want a long show. It always annoys me when bands do just an hour or so of greatest hits then leave.

I don't think anyone wants an hour show with just the hits, but 2hrs / 2hrs 20 is loads. 

I get what people are saying that they want to hear every song they can. And to a point yes, of course! But! If they played for 40 minutes less and the band sounded killer the entire time that's better bang for your buck than getting an extra 3-5 songs with bad performances. 

I think we'd all prefer a better overall performance over a few extra songs. I feel like once a band has played 18 songs, they are good in my book and can wrap the show. There is something to be said for 'keep them wanting more'. I feel exhausted watching gnr when I go see them (in the middle section). 

A rock show isn't supposed to be an endurance test for the most devoted. It's entertainment, and if in this microcosm of gnr fans we have this much of a mixed feeling, I think it means there's a valid criticism. Less is more😉

Edited by Tom2112
  • GNFNR 1

52 minutes ago, Tom2112 said:

I don't think anyone wants an hour show with just the hits, but 2hrs / 2hrs 20 is loads. 

I get what people are saying that they want to hear every song they can. And to a point yes, of course! But! If they played for 40 minutes less and the band sounded killer the entire time that's better bang for your buck than getting an extra 3-5 songs with bad performances. 

I think we'd all prefer a better overall performance over a few extra songs. I feel like once a band has played 18 songs, they are good in my book and can wrap the show. There is something to be said for 'keep them wanting more'. I feel exhausted watching gnr when I go see them (in the middle section). 

A rock show isn't supposed to be an endurance test for the most devoted. It's entertainment, and if in this microcosm of gnr fans we have this much of a mixed feeling, I think it means there's a valid criticism. Less is more😉

Yeah 2 hour 30 i think is the right length a gnr show should be. I get really pissed off when bands like the chilli peppers play 90 minutes and leave. I think that is really shitty. But when you start getting to the 3 hour mark it becomes a real slog. GnR play a lot of longer epic songs so i think there sets should be long, but not 3 hours. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MaskingApathy said:

I totally agree, I like the longer show and I want to hear as many songs as possible, especially considering how much I've paid for tickets each time I've seen them. For this year I'm looking at spending around $400 so I want a long show. It always annoys me when bands do just an hour or so of greatest hits then leave.

Exactly. When I go to a concert, I want to hear as many songs as possible from a band I love, it's not like I have the opportunity to go to a band's concert every day, but maybe once a year. Why would I want to leave early? To sleep or to do something that I can do every other day?

• Like 3

11 hours ago, colonizedmind said:

So I've been following a bit of recent tours but not as closely as many of you (until now again)  so watching some of the clips...Axl seems to be bringing quite a few of the old moves back that he seemed to have moved to the gutter...

Like the high kick in Easy in this clip from last night....his sway, etc. Many of these had been long gone, right? Is this due to the reduced weight, more energy to move? He seems happier and in decent spirits, talking more, more at ease to speak and joke....so perhaps he's just more into it? What's the theory on the improved stage presence and performance? 

He's a funny one, that unlike some, when something is gone, it's likely to return at some point...even the voice (hoping! By past example) ...remember when "hey hey hey" just randomly came back to Heavens Door in 2009! 🙂

Do you think getting the headline slot at Glasto.has perhaps given him a boast to the ego too?  He knows that's a big deal...thoughts?

Might be reading into it a little too much. He has done the high kick every now and then although it is getting a bit more rare to see. He used to do it more regularly even when he was more bloated back in 2014. What I think we are seeing is that Axl seems to be mentally in a more happy place while on stage and that might translate into doing a couple of extra moves here and there.

3 hours ago, jacdaniel said:

Those that want shorter shows would likely be the first to complain when CD and the deep cuts are dropped to accommodate the shorter set. 

If you actually read what's being asked for it's good performances, not shorter performances. If they can nail it for 3hrs, fine! I'm happy to be there for the full thing. Maybe the show moves a little better these days. My point is that the show could be more well rounded if the material was chosen based on what they sound good performing. They want to play mammoth sets, which I can appreciate... but it's overkill.

And we both know the CD would still make the cut. You're also kinda acting like a band playing for 1.5/2hrs couldn't have interesting sets as well as playing their hits. I mean, I can point to a good few bands that don't play 3hrs and still dig deep into their catalogue each year they go out touring. Yep they might only be able to fit in 1-2 hardcore fan songs, but fuck it! I don't need to hear Better and Chinese democracy at every gig, and I don't want to hear Locomotive/dead horse as he can't sing them... Quality over quantity EVERY day of the week. 

22 hours ago, SoulMonster said:

A summary of the three Norwegian reviews I have read:

They all give 4 out of 6 in review. The main problem to the three reviewers is the length of the show. It becomes too long and too varied in quality. As it is stated in one of the reviews, it was a "good party that lasted too long". Still, one reviewer (who also attended Graspop) says the band sounds better than it has in a long time. The sound is great and the band members smiles are have a "good day at work".

Axl's vocals are the weak link in the show and goes from "inspired" to "just good enough". Still, he is credited for being on time, his mood., and his overall performance throughout the concert. Songs where he is particularly praised were Welcome to the Jungle, the end to Rocket Queen, Wichita Lineman (although the song and its placement in the set also makes "people fall asleep") and Civil War. Another reviewer points out that the vocals aren't critical (yet) and that the band should be credited for not resorting to playback vocals like Kiss and Motley Crue.

The band is universally praised, everyone of them (well, Dizzy and Melissa aren't mentioned). The interplay between Richard and Slash is mentioned, Duff's bass and Frank's drumming.

All of the reviewers hate on Absurd ("shit sandwich" and where Axl "inexplicable keeps fondling his crotch"), Slither is referred to as "nothing but a generous gesture to Slash", Street of Dreams is "meaningless", and on Better "everything [with Axl's voice] goes wrong".

On the other hand, Bad Obsession "hits the bull's eye", It's So Easy "suits Axl's low voice", Chinese Democracy is "better than on record", Welcome to The Jungle showcases Axl's "considerable force as a frontman and a vocalist", Reckless Life and Down on the Farm wins on energy, Live and Let Die and You Could Be Mine, together with Rocket Queen, is referred to as a "triumphant trio" for Axl, while another reviewer says that Civil War and Anything Goes are among Axl's best vocal performances, and Estranged is referred to as a "stroke of genius" (I suppose they refer more to the song's qualities than the actual performance), while the performances of Nightrain and Sweet Child O' Mine are "brilliant". 

It is clear that the reviewers would have given this 5 or 6 out of 6 if the band had cut the set with an hour and focused on the songs that work the best (although they don't seem to be in total agreement on what songs should be cut - except for Absurd).

Is there any people who complain about a show being too long? what's wrong with them?

6 hours ago, We love Axl Rose said:

Exactly. When I go to a concert, I want to hear as many songs as possible from a band I love, it's not like I have the opportunity to go to a band's concert every day, but maybe once a year. Why would I want to leave early? To sleep or to do something that I can do every other day?

people are really stupid

8 hours ago, Tom2112 said:

it's not the lenght of the show the reason why they don't killer. So if that's not the reason i would take many songs as possible

I know this've been said before. But at this point I'm happy they are togheter, touring and changing the setlist. It is what it is but it used to be much worse. I will not forget the feeling seeing AXL and SLASH togheter in 2016. After waiting my whole life (born in 1994) and i would go any time they come to Argentina. i know Axl doesn't sound that good but live you don't really care and he stills being Axl in a lot of ways plus Slash is right next to him killing those songs! If you asked me in 2015 if i would imagine Axl and Slash playing togheter again and doing stuff from CD, Locomotive, Coma, Nice boys, Down on the farm, Anything goes, Bad obsession i would never ever believed you

• Like 2

8 hours ago, We love Axl Rose said:

They've come to my area only twice, 2016 and 2021. Now they're coming again this year, after this when will they come through again? So I would rather see a long 3 hour show every time since they only come here every few years.

• Like 3

A shorter set will not improve the vocals or the gig... oh no. 

I only miss the fireworks and all that 80s 90s rock stuff... like explosions, etc. Still the confetti.... for me, the show has to be a entertainment of course the songs are important but if u could put some "reggae" on the gig... welcome to that.

• Thanks 1