06/15/23 - Dessel, BE - Graspop Metal Meeting

downzy

2 minutes ago, Lio said:

(Sorry for spamposting)

Just read another review and it was a bit milder to Axl overall, but the thing that stood out to me, was that they mentioned Absurd as one of the best performed songs, proving that the band has some kind of future besides being their own tribute band.

I hope they take that to heart and start releasing more songs. They don't have to settle into the role of a boring, nostalgia act, they could make things a bit more interesting for themselves and us, while still playing the absolutes on every show. 

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

I hope they take that to heart and start releasing more songs. They don't have to settle into the role of a boring, nostalgia act, they could make things a bit more interesting for themselves and us, while still playing the absolutes on every show. 

Exactly. I hope somehow this comment reaches Axl.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Lio said:

(Sorry for spamposting)

Just read another review and it was a bit milder to Axl overall, but the thing that stood out to me, was that they mentioned Absurd as one of the best performed songs, proving that the band has some kind of future besides being their own tribute band.

I think reviewers would definitely be more kind if there was a bit more forward motion with the band.......but the issue is always that people in general that are buying tickets want the past, nostalgia and safety. Sad as it sounds. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Lio said:

The reviews in the newspapers are harsh. Oh well, GNR (and especially Axl) will never be a favourite in the Flemish press at least. What I find interesting is that one reviewer found the first two hours weak, but loved the last hour with SCOM, NR, Locomotive and Knocking on Heaven's Door, while I wanted to scream STOP! at them for making that song endless. I loved all the deep cuts, it really feels as a service to us diehard fans, as most casuals just call out for November Rain or Paradise City (half an hour in the set :lol:)

In another paper they say Axl has no voice and no charisma. Then again, he says he was standing with his back to the stage when Duff sang and thought: Oh, he's getting better. Seriously, who could mistake Axl's voice for Duff's? :crazy: He sounds a bit bitter as well because the press wasn't allowed to take pictures, apparently, and the reviewer ends with the snide remark Axl has only maintained his arrogance from his glory days. I did see photographers in the beginning, though, and in another newspaper I saw pics of last night, so that's fake news.

But what can you expect from papers who still start off every review with: Contrary to what we're used to, GNR only started 3 minutes late :facepalm:

I didn't mind Brownstone gone, but people around me were shouting for it, so it was definitely missed.

From where I was standing, 7 rows or so on the right side, so near the stage, I felt I was between mostly diehards who could sing along to most songs, except for Hard Skool. There was some moshing now and then, so I felt that the audience was good, throughout the whole show. But my friend who was in front of Duff, a few rows in, said it was dead around her. So she had the feeling the crowd was lame.

This was my 10th show and I think it was one of the best. The setlist was great and I really feel if it hadn't been for the curfew, we might have gotten a surprise, or maybe just Brownstone. Because Axl was really into it. It's really great to see him so happy on the tour this year. It makes me think that by the end of it, we'll have seen a few surprises and some great shows. This show didn't have those dead times like I sometimes have in other shows, where it's slow song after slow song around the middle of the set, I felt this was a lot more balanced.

I think it's been mentioned before, but I felt Absurd got a better reception than Hard Skool. When Absurd started, people started getting into it immediately. Tbh, I didn't check if they stayed into it after that, because I had a great time watching Axl do it. Whenever that loud scream comes, he pointed at Melissa, I don't know why, but I thought it was really funny :lol:

I think on HS his voice really let him down. I had great night despite the dead crowd with two German girls in the front rows. A few Mickey jokes here and there to lighten thing up. But overall, the band really delivered a solid and fun show. From a setlist perspective, this was the best Belgian show next to Graspop 2006.

2 minutes ago, jimisbatman said:

Am I too late to call bs on Berlin soundcheck? 

No Berlin soundcheck whatsoever.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Lio said:

The reviews in the newspapers are harsh. Oh well, GNR (and especially Axl) will never be a favourite in the Flemish press at least. What I find interesting is that one reviewer found the first two hours weak, but loved the last hour with SCOM, NR, Locomotive and Knocking on Heaven's Door, while I wanted to scream STOP! at them for making that song endless. I loved all the deep cuts, it really feels as a service to us diehard fans, as most casuals just call out for November Rain or Paradise City (half an hour in the set :lol:)

In another paper they say Axl has no voice and no charisma. Then again, he says he was standing with his back to the stage when Duff sang and thought: Oh, he's getting better. Seriously, who could mistake Axl's voice for Duff's? :crazy: He sounds a bit bitter as well because the press wasn't allowed to take pictures, apparently, and the reviewer ends with the snide remark Axl has only maintained his arrogance from his glory days. I did see photographers in the beginning, though, and in another newspaper I saw pics of last night, so that's fake news.

But what can you expect from papers who still start off every review with: Contrary to what we're used to, GNR only started 3 minutes late :facepalm:

I didn't mind Brownstone gone, but people around me were shouting for it, so it was definitely missed.

From where I was standing, 7 rows or so on the right side, so near the stage, I felt I was between mostly diehards who could sing along to most songs, except for Hard Skool. There was some moshing now and then, so I felt that the audience was good, throughout the whole show. But my friend who was in front of Duff, a few rows in, said it was dead around her. So she had the feeling the crowd was lame.

This was my 10th show and I think it was one of the best. The setlist was great and I really feel if it hadn't been for the curfew, we might have gotten a surprise, or maybe just Brownstone. Because Axl was really into it. It's really great to see him so happy on the tour this year. It makes me think that by the end of it, we'll have seen a few surprises and some great shows. This show didn't have those dead times like I sometimes have in other shows, where it's slow song after slow song around the middle of the set, I felt this was a lot more balanced.

I think it's been mentioned before, but I felt Absurd got a better reception than Hard Skool. When Absurd started, people started getting into it immediately. Tbh, I didn't check if they stayed into it after that, because I had a great time watching Axl do it. Whenever that loud scream comes, he pointed at Melissa, I don't know why, but I thought it was really funny :lol:

I've read some online, belgians have a reputation for being pseudo elitists with little to back up their claims except allegations from 30 years ago

• Like 4

An update here. I watched Motley Crue and Def Leppard last night at the festival to close it out and Motley Crue was just embarrassing, it's like watching Steel Panther but it's not ironic

Def Leppard was very good, too bad I don't like their music. It's a bit too bland, objectively speaking for all of those 3 (GnR, Motley Crue, Def Leppard) they were definitely the best, they played amazingly, can still sing and the show around it had just enough of the screens/effects etc.

Edited by Nicklord

The newspapers are right. This was by far the worst show I ever witnessed by them. Axl just plainly sucked, aside on maybe a handful of songs. I don't know how some people can keep defending these kind of performances. I mean, don't you see any other bands/singers to compare this to? 

Edited by st0n3r

• 4 weeks later...