Least favorite song on each album? πŸ€”πŸ˜‘ Choose only one.

9 minutes ago, Legendador said:

From my perspective people never talked about the song (maybe because english was not our main language).

What I've experienced was reading (maybe 89 / 90) that GNR was dropped from the bill of a AIDs Foundation Festival (Sponsored by David Geffen if I'm not mistaken).

"One in a Million" is not in the boxset, but is still featured in current LIES copies, and also on YouTube, which seems odd since the band is quick to take down videos.

Here in Brazil people/fans only started talking/posting how bad the lyrics of the song where after the cancel culture started.

This is my perspective...

But your perspective is only that, your perspective. If you want to talk about how the song was viewed, then your perspective is insufficient. Fact is that the song immediately got a lot of attention and caused lots of problems to the band. Read about it here:Β https://www.a-4-d.com/t4987-09-august-december-1988-lies-and-the-spotlight#19261

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

But your perspective is only that, your perspective. If you want to talk about how the song was viewed, then your perspective is insufficient. Fact is that the song immediately got a lot of attention and caused lots of problems to the band. Read about it here:Β https://www.a-4-d.com/t4987-09-august-december-1988-lies-and-the-spotlight#19261

Man, it is just an endless back and forth. You want your opinions to be respected, but if someone has a different opinion, or tries to bust a bubble, it becomes this endless back and forth with everybody in this forum!

In Brazil before the internet, no one gave a shit about how polemic the song was. It was mainly a problem in English-spoken countries.

I give up! You're right!

11 minutes ago, Legendador said:

Man, it is just an endless back and forth. You want your opinions to be respected, but if someone has a different opinion, or tries to bust a bubble, it becomes this endless back and forth with everybody in this forum!

In Brazil before the internet, no one gave a shit about how polemic the song was. It was mainly a problem in English-spoken countries.

I give up! You're right!

But your opinion that OIAM wasn't controversial among fans prior to "cancel culture" and "woke" is simply wrongΒ :lol:

All opinions aren't equal, you know, sometimes some are correct and some are wrong.Β 

And yes, I trust what you say about Brazil, and that is interesting. Thanks!Β 

Edited by SoulMonster
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, SoulMonster said:

But your opinion that OIAM wasn't controversial among fans prior to "cancel culture" and "woke" is simply wrongΒ :lol:

All opinions aren't equal, you know, sometimes some are correct and some are wrong.Β 

And yes, I trust what you say about Brazil, and that is interesting. Thanks!Β 

I never said OIAM wasn't controversial, but in countries were english were not the first language, or spoke at all by that time, the song didn't have the shock effect.

With time that change, and if I'm calling "woke" is (from my perspective) the Brazilian woke generation.

Whatever, dude!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, AxlIsGod. said:

I don't get how anything else on CD can be worse than Scraped. Can't even get past the first noteΒ :lol:

Not a fan of the a cappella Axls, eh? lol

I remember when the album first came out. That was probably the first thing that really rubbed me the wrong way. It's just... what's the point? Just go into the damn song!

Edited by Nintari
  • Confused 1

AFD: Sweet Child O' Mine - Way overrated
GN'R Lies: You're Crazy - Something about it just gives you this lazy, procrastinating feel I cannot stand
UYI 1: November Rain - It comes across too Narcissistic & in-love-with-oneself kind of way
UYI 2: Don't Cry (Alternate Lyrics) - It tried, but failed to get that depth & meaning that real Don't Cry achieved
TSI: Can't say yet; I have barely listened to the album
Chinese Democracy: Riad N' The Bedouins - It's a meaningless, random song of no value or depthΒ 

Edited by Screamin' Demon
  • Like 1

On 3/6/2023 at 2:07 PM, Cosmo said:

Anything Goes

One In A Million

Perfect Crime

My World

Riad N' The Bedouins

Β 

Interesting that you don't like Perfect Crime. πŸ€” Perfect CrimeΒ  is one of my favorite Guns N'Roses songs of all time. πŸ˜€

On 3/7/2023 at 10:59 AM, Mansin Humanity said:

ya why can THEY say it but i can't?

Guns and their Rose brother get away with a lot of stuff that normal people could be arrested for. πŸ˜‰πŸ˜€ I saw clips where Slash Gun played concerts with only his BOXERS! πŸ˜„πŸ€£ I saw a clip where Axl Rose took a ride on a conveyor belt! πŸ˜„πŸ€£ Both of these could get normal people arrested!Β 

16 hours ago, Screamin' Demon said:

UYI 1: November Rain - It comes across too Narcissistic & in-love-with-oneself kind of way

I really wanted to go there as well, thanks for speaking up, just long winded drivel of woe is me, classic Axl. Maybe it could be saved in an alternate universe, where this Is Love came out first.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Screamin' Demon said:

AFD: Sweet Child O' Mine - Way overrated
GN'R Lies: You're Crazy - Something about it just gives you this lazy, procrastinating feel I cannot stand
UYI 2: Don't Cry (Alternate Lyrics) - It tried, but failed to get that depth & meaning that real Don't Cry achieved
TSI: Can't say yet; I have barely listened to the album
Chinese Democracy: Riad N' The Bedouins - It's a meaningless, random song of no value or depthΒ 

Interesting view on SCOM. Overplayed perhaps, but overrated? That's a brave call, dude!

I'm 100% with you on November Rain. I hate it. With a passion. It isn't in the same league as Estranged IMHO. The new, remastered version with the orchestra make it a little more interesting, but it's a 99.9% skip track for me.Β 

• Like 2

On 3/7/2023 at 4:10 PM, downzy said:

I love OIAM.Β  I think it's one of Axl's best recorded vocal performances.Β  If people don't like it because of the lyrics, fair enough.Β  Others can look past it and appreciate other aspects of the song.Β  To each their own.

Wholeheartedly agree with this. The vocals are sublime, even if the lyrics are highly contentious (and always were). If you understand the POV and context of the lyrics, it does make it somewhat more palatable, but in modern society that shit won't fly. I don't remember the OG release, but there's no doubt it would have caused a stir, it even did so in the band from what I've read. But that's nothing compared the the hysteria a straight white man using those terms now would cause now. Slash even spoke up recently about the band not being around if they broke through in the modern day.Β 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, invisible_rose said:

I don't remember the OG release, but there's no doubt it would have caused a stir, it even did so in the band from what I've read

Yep.Β  People who think this song only gets knocked today because of "woke, pc cancel culture" must not have been around when the song was originally released (and the subsequent few years after).Β  A lot of people criticized and went after Axl for the lyrics.Β Β 

• Like 1

About November Rain, it's WAY too long. It's an almost 9 minute song when it should have been a 4 minute song. The Don't you need someone," part is amazing with Slash grinding on the guitar, and Axl's excellent piano and vocals, but it still is way too long.Β 

Edited by Karice
  • Haha 1