General thoughts on the first leg of the tour

Now the first leg is over, what are people's thoughts on it in general? 

My view is that they were the best shows in a good long while, and I very much enjoyed the setlist shake ups even if it was just the order the songs came in. 

The lack of new material puts a sour spot on it for me (especially as we had them soundchecked and on the setlist) however, which is difficult to get over. The timing seemed right for it, the band seemed hungry again.....yet nothing. 

What do others think and feel? 

• Like 4

I definitely praise the setlist alternations, especially the first couple of gigs, which reminded me of the beginning of 2016. 
I also appreciate Axl finally acknowledging some self-reflection and incorporating songs that better suit his current abilities, i.e. low-register stuff like PTU, Bad Obsession, or Down on the Farm. Good songs, too. 
The negative stuff is, well, as usual. His voice getting worse (reflected even by reviewers now), yet another tour with nothing new bar a few deep cuts, and no new music released. 
Overall not bad, but all this could have already happened in 2021, and they could have been working in the studio as we speak. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

Same as I always think after a tour: I wish they had released music instead.

Some minor changes to do the setlist doesn't matter to me at all.

Didn’t you happen to have had a major change of heart recently? I may be wrong, but as far as I remember, you used to defend the band and anything they do on the stage to death afaik. :D

26 minutes ago, jamillos said:

Didn’t you happen to have had a major change of heart recently? I may be wrong, but as far as I remember, you used to defend the band and anything they do on the stage to death afaik. :D

Hmm? No, you are wrong. For instance, I was always very vocal about how disappointed I was of the "reunion". It's just this fanbase who aren't very good at nuances. 

• Like 1
  • ABSUЯD 1

17 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

Hmm? No, you are wrong. For instance, I was always very vocal about how disappointed I was of the "reunion". It's just this fanbase who aren't very good at nuances. 

My apologies then, I should have remembered precisely! :D

• GNFNR 1

This European leg was great! I went to three shows: Graspop, Rome and Weert. Axl’s mic sound had issues at Graspop and had a comfortable VIP Deck ticket there, so watched it from a distance, knowing I would be in the GC for the two other shows. The atmosphere and location in Rome were the best, Circo Massimo in the heart of the city was so great! Sound wise, Weert was the best out of the three, at least for me.

New music is a nice to have, but I don’t let the lack of it ruin the joy of the nostalgia act and the soundtrack of my life. Plus: I’d rather have PTU, Reckless Life, Locomotive, DOTF (I always liked that TSI song so much, finally it was played!!!), Anything Goes and My Michelle than a new song. Watching Axl having a lot of fun and having a better voice was great and made it better than previous legs. I

Next time I will be there again a few times, whether or not there will be new music, I don’t care :-)

Edited by JY2016
  • Like 2

22 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

It's just this fanbase who aren't very good at nuances. 

Well said. Many people often resort to mockery or trolling when someone opposes or criticizes the reunion in any shape or form.

I believe this reaction stems from their deep emotional and financial investment in this. You can spot this under threads about the gigs where many posters are attendees.
They might be hesitant to face the possibility that the reunion might not live up to their expectations.

Now, let's have a respectful discussion about it folks. If you feel the pain then take painkillers.

Definitely the best tour since 16/17. Felt fresh and Axl was way more energized than in previous years. Of course a new song would've been nice and at every show there was a little bit of hope for perhaps to be played, but it doesn't take anything away of the awesomeness that had been the last couple weeks. 

• Like 3
  • ABSUЯD 1

19 minutes ago, Stay.Of.Execution said:

Definitely the best tour since 16/17. Felt fresh and Axl was way more energized than in previous years. Of course a new song would've been nice and at every show there was a little bit of hope for perhaps to be played, but it doesn't take anything away of the awesomeness that had been the last couple weeks. 

Pretty much this. Quite happy I didn't bother last year now, especially with how the UK shows went :lol:

36 minutes ago, AxlIsGod. said:

Pretty much this. Quite happy I didn't bother last year now, especially with how the UK shows went :lol:

Yeah same. I didn't feel I missed out at all last year. Glad I bothered this year. 

Not sure how I'd feel about seeing them again now, should they tour next year. It would be based nearly entirely on how they were playing and what they were playing (alongside price of course). Which is what I based going this time on. 

1 hour ago, allwaystired said:

Yeah same. I didn't feel I missed out at all last year. Glad I bothered this year. 

Not sure how I'd feel about seeing them again now, should they tour next year. It would be based nearly entirely on how they were playing and what they were playing (alongside price of course). Which is what I based going this time on. 

Yeah, I'm not sure either. If it was another 2/3 years id consider going with similar setlists to 2023 tbh.

If you think about it these setlists are some of the most different we've had since the old days. So much of the newgnr era, and to a lesser extent early NITL, was AFD/CD heavy.

These UYI-filled shows are definitely something I feel less tired of - I never thought I'd be hearing songs like Bad Obsession/PTU and Down on the Farm live tbh!

• Like 1

Better than the last few runs - I love the fact that Bad Obsession and PTU are on the set list.

however I’m still not sold on purchasing a ticket for the NA Leg. I’ve seen them live every time they’ve played NY/NJ and… I’m sorry… show is fun.. but sound wise it just isn’t for me. It’s literally a worse sounding show, of the SAME show they’ve had since the start of this.

Except the 2 deep cuts.

Having said that, I’m beyond stoked that others are enjoying themselves. If you are having fun at a show, you are winning in life!

• Like 1

Most interesting leg in a while. Glastonbury, the hype and the prep they obviously did because of it helped a lot I think. Might not have got DOTF returning if not for Glastonbury.

I've not followed all the shows religiously but it feels like all the show threads have been more positive than not.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, alfierose said:

Most interesting leg in a while. Glastonbury, the hype and the prep they obviously did because of it helped a lot I think. Might not have got DOTF returning if not for Glastonbury.

I've not followed all the shows religiously but it feels like all the show threads have been more positive than not.

That did seem like a big driving force for the tour, I'd agree.

That they even altered some of the songs to be shorter for the Glastonbury set showed that (maybe for the first time in many years) they were acutely aware of both audience perception and that they needed to make changes. 

I don't think there was much negative in any of the threads actually- just a general disappointment that there wasn't new material. 

• Like 1

I think it was a good leg, the band looked and sounded good, it's like age is not catching up with them yet. All 3hour plus shows with a very good and entertaining setlist. Love the various changes. I've been to 3 shows with different songs at each show, also witnessed a total of 6 songs for the first time live! Compared to last year, I saw improvement on several aspects. Ticket sales were mixed in each country but overall I think they did good. I do believe they need to comeback with a chunk of new songs and at least one top 10 song in the charts to create more demand. It's best to come back in 2 or 3 years from now

• Like 2

In my opinion this is to me the most excited  I have been since like 2017ish when the new sheen of the freshly reunited GNR wore off

Actual meaningful setlist changes that have slowly accumulated the past years - PTU and Bad Obsession paired with other songs they dusted off (Slither, SOYL, Reckless Life, Locomotive, etc.) means this is a fairly different show to look forward to for the upcoming US leg compared to the 2016 shows I caught

Axl seems to be doing well and making the most of the vocal abilities he still has too.  And I am digging his fashion choices too, not that it matters but he seems much more "Axl" than he has been