General thoughts on the first leg of the tour

53 minutes ago, WhazUp said:

And I am digging his fashion choices too, not that it matters but he seems much more "Axl" than he has been

Yeah, I wasn’t a fan of his long legged multi layered ripped jeans and braid rimmed hat look.  And his boots were awful and made him look awkward on stage.  He seems more confident in his movements now and has become more active. 

1 hour ago, Oxford said:

Yeah, I wasn’t a fan of his long legged multi layered ripped jeans and braid rimmed hat look.  And his boots were awful and made him look awkward on stage.  He seems more confident in his movements now and has become more active. 

I don't understand why he stuck with the boots for so long. They caused so many injuries. :shrugs:

Probably one of the best setlists we've had in a while. Unfortunately without new music though, it's hard to really be excited or happy with the direction of this band. A new single would've gone a long way. Instead, we're just on the millionth leg of the nostalgia tour.

• Like 1

Adding staples to the set that fit Axl's natural voice was a great decision, I'd been hoping for Bad Obsession, Down On The Farm and Pretty Tied Up for ages. Only other deep cuts they should've brought back were You Ain't The First and the slow You're Crazy, but maybe we'll see those later in the year or next year. Overall this was Axl's best tour since 2017.

It seems kind of insulting to the European fans not to release Perhaps, though. They soundchecked it at several shows and it seems ready to be played live, if not released, so they should've given those fans something new.

I'm a bit more hyped for the Vancouver show now than when I initially bought the ticket. Hopefully I'll hear one or two new songs at that show.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Oxford said:

Well, that outfit itself wasn't that bad. Just that he carried it on for too many years. Like he couldn't afford something different for each leg. Switching it up would be key.

Just from a perspective of a in-front-of-screen concert observator n stream watcher, there was much freshness in this new leg.
I wish I could attend some of the concerts that happened. 
Hope the energy stays for the NA leg, which, unfortunately, is not guaranteed as the times before had shown.
The 'new' songs were definitely a fresh addition, for me, especially Anything Goes, PTU and Farm :headbang: 
The only drawback? Nice Boys played only once :anger:

• Like 1

So pleased they added a few different songs to the set and for the first time In a while it seemed like they were actually enjoying each gig rather than going through the motions. 
I sort of wish they hadn’t played Glastonbury. I don’t think it did them any favours? It wasn’t their kind of gig but even if it was it came 20 years too late IMO. They arnt relevant to that kind of audience anymore. The sound problems (apparently the fault of the bbc) made them look like a poor live band to people watching on TV which is a shame as they sounded ace in London a week later. 

Im not too bothered about new music being played. I’d rather they release stuff b4 a tour so it’s familiar at the gigs but I know some people are desperate for new tunes so I get the frustration. 

I also think they need to scale it down a bit if they plan to tour in future. Do a few arenas for a change. I think the shows would be so much better in an intimate setting. If they want to keep doing stadiums then bring back the pyros to at least make it look good! 
Also if playing the UK maybe do a few shows outside London for a change. 

Axl’s voice is not getting any better but  I didn’t think it was that bad on most shows and fair play to him for putting the effort in. You could tell he really pushed himself to do the best for the fans. 3 hour shows can’t be easy. 

going by the YouTube videos, the Madrid show looked the best. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, stezmacc said:

I sort of wish they hadn’t played Glastonbury. I don’t think it did them any favours? It wasn’t their kind of gig but even if it was it came 20 years too late IMO. They arnt relevant to that kind of audience anymore. The sound problems (apparently the fault of the bbc) made them look like a poor live band to people watching on TV which is a shame as they sounded ace in London a week later. 

Have you seen the stream? They won the audience over and it was a great success for them. Same goes for the reviews of that show (besides 1 or 2 dipshits)

• Like 1

On 7/24/2023 at 12:14 PM, Coma16 said:

Were 2 setlists the same thought the tour?

No...definately more shift and even putting songs in all sorts of random areas! Also No Brownstone was a shocker! So defo more free roaming and closer to what they claim about being spontaneous...with a small catalogue, it was more roaming than other bands sets that choose from 10+ LP to be fair. Also, Anything Goes back from the death it had in the 80s was a great surprise! Think about you needs to be played at some point, so we can make a reunion Appetite live album!! Plus it's underrated! That outro.... 

Edited by colonizedmind

My thoughts are that this band (person) hasn't released an album in 15 years, and after 7 years they are still milking the cow, still touring and playing old songs (except 2) as much as they can so Axl can still get money from it without sitting with his band to write any song nor work with them on releasing what he has on his vault.

Edited by Uncle Bob
  • Like 2

“Guns N Roses are a different type of band {than Metallica}. And I use the word ‘band’ very loosely. It’s a guy and some other guys.” - James Hetfield

I keep thinking they've wrung every last penny from this reunion cash grab tour but apparently GnR keeps rising from the grave like an undead corpse. Nice job stripping down the stage to the bare minimum so that they can pocket the extra cash and give the audience a bare bones show. Real value for your dollar there. Must have been  Duff "Punk Rock" McKagan's idea. On the positive side, Axl and $lash are giving it everything they can onstage which must be commended.

Hey we all wish for more new music and hopefully an album or two. But you can't fault the show they put on. Three hours plus. All the hits. They've changed it up a bit and added some deep cuts. The band sounds tight. Axl always seems in a good mood and engages with the crowds. He's not perfect vocally on everything but he's clearly giving it his all.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Stay.Of.Execution said:

Have you seen the stream? They won the audience over and it was a great success for them. Same goes for the reviews of that show (besides 1 or 2 dipshits)

I watched it live and multiple times after and even though I thought it was great and know there was some good reviews at  the time, iv also heard a lot of people dissing Axl’s voice and seen a few ‘worst headliner in years’ quotes. Also going by the crowd reaction (having been to Glastonbury numerous times) I can say that was a lukewarm reception full of a crowd that didn’t know anything other than sweet child o’mine.

On 7/24/2023 at 12:41 PM, Oxford said:

I haven’t seen them since 1993, and before that I’d probably seen them at least 25 times.  Probably far more.  I used to travel loads back then.   So Hyde Park was the first time in 30 years.  I’ve seen tons of reviews, watched loads of new shows, and read everything on here, so I was hardly optimistic.   But after following the tour on here and seeing them live, I was more than happy.  What a great experience I had.  Axl was really into it.  Slash was, er… Slash and it was epic.  Sure Axls voice isn’t what it was, but he was great.  And my daughter saw them for the first time at Glasto and she was really really happy.  Another lifer there. 

You saw GnR 25 times before 1993?!?!?! 

Edited by Powderfinger

On 7/30/2023 at 7:38 PM, Gunner Gilby said:

Hey we all wish for more new music and hopefully an album or two. But you can't fault the show they put on. Three hours plus. All the hits. They've changed it up a bit and added some deep cuts. The band sounds tight. Axl always seems in a good mood and engages with the crowds. He's not perfect vocally on everything but he's clearly giving it his all.

I agree, lots of positives with the tour right now.

• Like 2