Perhaps - August 18. UPDATE IV: A New Hope (Radio Premiere Tomorrow?)

7 minutes ago, Stay.Of.Execution said:

shouldn't a competent manager be behind this? i mean, he should've known that the song was still on that platform.

That's really on the label. They handle these things, not GN'R management. There's the impression that GN'R management handles everything, from dealing with the streaming platforms to managing social media to even editing videos themselves, but it's not like that.

However, like @guitarpatchsaid, it's possible that the label people have to work under pressure because GN'R (Axl/TB) make last minute decisions, so they're more likely to make mistakes like this.

Edited by Blackstar
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Sweersa said:

That was a thread where people were recalling stories of meeting musicians/celebrities. One guy was in Florida the summer of 2003, happened to see Axl at a restaurant he was at. He chatted with Axl, and surprised Axl when he mentioned The Blues (the fan heard it from a bootleg of a performance) Axl invited him over to his table, and later played him some demos from CD in his Ferrari. I think he said 8 demos, may have been an estimate. When someone asked the poster if he played anything that didn’t make the album, he said yes, and said Axl played a song called 100 Cuban Skies which is about cigars. Not sure if it had vocals or not. 

this one

https://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/nicest-most-personable-musician-youve-met.447377/page-54

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, Ollster42 said:

happens at 0:23 in absurd on the "screaming fucking banshee" line, that vocal starts before the beginning of the next bar. they do it right live and they did it right in '01. Would it have been something to do with the vocal track being moved from the original project onto the new slash+duff instrumental?

Yeah it's rough asf

Even our teenage garage band wouldn't have tolerated such a sync issue to slip into our fee giveaway demos. I can't understand the Perfectionist or the label allowing it to leave the cutting room that way. Mind-blowing, as if it were done on purpose to screw with us.

Doesn’t Scraped have an editing error too with the vocals. I think a word gets cut off, almost unnoticeable. It’s otherwise a great song. Sure, the lyrics are a bit cheesy, but it’s one damn good rocker, great Axl vocal performance and a killer Bucket solo. 

2 minutes ago, Sweersa said:

Doesn’t Scraped have an editing error too with the vocals. I think a word gets cut off, almost unnoticeable. It’s otherwise a great song. Sure, the lyrics are a bit cheesy, but it’s one damn good rocker, great Axl vocal performance and a killer Bucket solo. 

It's intentional according to Axl and you see that kind of editing in a lot of modern songs. 

20 minutes ago, Sweersa said:

You are correct. I’m not comfortable talking about the details through PM, but offered SoulMonster a phone call, which he wasn’t too keen on which is understandable. 
A website really tells it all, with their article with MSL. They published a list of all the documents he had, the titles of which reveal a lot of info. 
Not sure if the original page is available, but it was copied here:

http://www.gnrevolution.com/viewtopic.php?id=10365
I don’t really care if people think the list is real or not, I get why this isn’t the most trusting of circles, but myself and a handful of others here know 100% it is real. The original screenshot wasn’t from my PC, you can’t tell from what leaked but the original screenshot was from a PC running Windows XP. 

Yeah, the original page is not available. Apparently MSL deleted his site and excluded it from the wayback machine as well. But this list of alleged emails (some of which may be real, and some fake) has been available on a couple of sites.

2 minutes ago, downzy said:

GNR management would not have had anything to do with the logistics of a single unless GNR is publishing and releasing the song itself. 

If that’s the case, I can imagine the last 24-48 hours went like this:

Axl: “Fernando, you removed Perhaps from all streaming and distribution services, right?”

Fernando: “All taken care of boss!”

Axl: “Great, now to relax at this local bar…..”

Five minutes later.

Axl: “Fernando!!!”

Lol

Imagine happening to see Axl at a bar, and someone playing that song without him being aware it’s out. 

34 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

I don't think either of this is likely. Judging from the latest releases, GN'R owns the master recordings now and not Universal, so there doesn't seem to be any obligations as far as the label is concerned. With Slash and Duff there's probably a deal in place that they'll get publishing rights for re-recording these songs. If there's any obligations it's probably with Live Nation to help push ticket sales in NA.

Couldn't this then be part of the reason why Axl isn't keen on releasing other CD songs? Seeing all the years of effort getting changed at "the last minute".

1 minute ago, Sweersa said:

Lol

Imagine happening to see Axl at a bar, and someone playing that song without him being aware it’s out. 

The crew is in NYC. I can imagine Del at a bar today after hearing the news and playing it on TouchTunes 

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, MildlyArtistic said:

Listening to it now and I've gotta say, it sounds pretty good. I can't be arsed to go back and listen to the original version, but I'm assuming this is the exact same vocal take as with Hard Skool and Absurd?

Slash's solo is much better than the non-entity that was the solo on the old version.

No, there are a few vocal differences this time actually.

1 minute ago, ZODIAC said:

Isn't there a single fanbase member out there who owns a bar with that kind of jukebox, or at least is good friend with an owner?! 😅

This!

1 minute ago, DoMw94 said:

Please can someone get me up to speed please? I've been out all day in the countryside and have only just got signal. I see something's going on, but what?

In the USA you can go to a bar with Touchtunes jukebox and play Perhaps if you have the app. They forgot to unrelease it there it seems.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Crain2013 said:

Couldn't this then be part of the reason why Axl isn't keen on releasing other CD songs? Seeing all the years of effort getting changed at "the last minute".

Possibly. I was surprised to hear Slash say they did their parts on CD songs during the lockdown, I imaged it was done shortly after the reunion. 
If Axl indeed struggles with having them ruin CD stuff, I sure hope he has secured the older mixes with all of Robin and Bucket for a future bonus release. Maybe that’s why he doesn’t care about the jarring transition in Perhaps. Or perhaps it was a protest. Imagine Robin’s reaction, should he hear it. It hurts the song a bit. But, after the song is out in high quality, I bet someone could do a custom mix putting Robin’s solo there in whole. 

Just now, DoMw94 said:

Please can someone get me up to speed please? I've been out all day in the countryside and have only just got signal. I see something's going on, but what?

A few hours ago, a member here accidentally discovered that Perhaps came up in the search results on a phone app called TouchTunes Jukeboxes, which is a streaming service that plays music in bar juke boxes (I guess UMG either forgot about this service or just didn't mind it, because a release is imminent). So people drove to bars near them, had the song played and recorded it on their phones, and it has now leaked, even if it's a low quality phone recording with background noise.

Hilarious stuff, on par with the history of this band and its fanbase :lol:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2