10/06/23 - Indio, CA - PowerTrip Festival

downzy

1 hour ago, Blackstar said:

Did he go to this concert or the one in Sacramento?

Whichever one was yesterday.

1 hour ago, Powerage5 said:

It's a bit harsh to put the blame for the late start on GN'R - seems pretty clear to me they didn't leave enough time for the changeover built into the schedule, considering how involved tearing down Maiden's stage set is. Think it was scheduled for a 40 minute changeover and there's absolutely no way they can tear down Maiden's set and get ready for GN'R in that amount of time. 

I agree. I would have loved every minute of that show. I wish they came to Detroit or Indianapolis.

7 minutes ago, Sweersa said:

Whichever one was yesterday.

I agree. I would have loved every minute of that show. I wish they came to Detroit or Indianapolis.

For Maiden you mean? We'll be getting a US leg next year - hopefully you can make a show. It's one of the best tours I've seen them do for sure, looking forward to some more next year...

Work got in the way of me making  it in time to see Maiden or Guns.The group I was with were all pretty beat from traveling to get there and said the vibe was kind of off for both bands.The people I met at festival it seemed like the general consensus was that Axl had a really rough night .I believe the highlight for most was AC/DC they definitely drew the best response and their set was very high energy .Got down to the pit for Metallica and they were their usual spectacular selves .Judas Priest was the surprise for me and they absolutely nailed their set .Tool sounded fantastic and their show would be epic in an arena especially the new one in Vegas but their set didn’t seem to go over too well with the masses.Bummed I missed 2 of my favorites on Friday but I think this weekend belonged to AC/DC and was about their triumphant return to the stage .If I had to be honest as fire as their set was I’ve never heard AXL “struggle “ as bad as Brian Johnson did Saturday and I’ve seen Guns double digit times spanning over 3 decades and he didn’t  seem to get the flak that Axl always seems to get for his performances.I mean Johnson is in his mid 70’s still sounded good enough to my ears but just kind of throwing that out there 

• Like 2

For Maiden you mean? We'll be getting a US leg next year - hopefully you can make a show. It's one of the best tours I've seen them do for sure, looking forward to some more next year...

Guns. GN'R didn't go to Detroit, closest was Chicago and I didn't want to do that again.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, gt72 said:

Work got in the way of me making  it in time to see Maiden or Guns.The group I was with were all pretty beat from traveling to get there and said the vibe was kind of off for both bands.The people I met at festival it seemed like the general consensus was that Axl had a really rough night .I believe the highlight for most was AC/DC they definitely drew the best response and their set was very high energy .Got down to the pit for Metallica and they were their usual spectacular selves .Judas Priest was the surprise for me and they absolutely nailed their set .Tool sounded fantastic and their show would be epic in an arena especially the new one in Vegas but their set didn’t seem to go over too well with the masses.Bummed I missed 2 of my favorites on Friday but I think this weekend belonged to AC/DC and was about their triumphant return to the stage .If I had to be honest as fire as their set was I’ve never heard AXL “struggle “ as bad as Brian Johnson did Saturday and I’ve seen Guns double digit times spanning over 3 decades and he didn’t  seem to get the flak that Axl always seems to get for his performances.I mean Johnson is in his mid 70’s still sounded good enough to my ears but just kind of throwing that out there 

I'm really happy to hear some many positive comments about Judas Priest's set the other night, especially considering the amount of flak they took once they were announced as Ozzy's replacement. While it's true they don't have the mass commercial appeal of the rest of the bands on the bill, they're not as small as some people like to suggest - and they are fucking good live. 

• Like 2

I'm really happy to hear some many positive comments about Judas Priest's set the other night, especially considering the amount of flak they took once they were announced as Ozzy's replacement. While it's true they don't have the mass commercial appeal of the rest of the bands on the bill, they're not as small as some people like to suggest - and they are fucking good live. 

I see from your signature we both attended the same Axl/DC show in Auburn Hills, 2016. At the palace, which was sadly demoed a few years after. What a great show. If I could relive any show I've attended, that would be the one. My dad was there with me as well.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, jimisbatman said:

That's so cool. How did you get upgraded, and how meet the band afterwards? 

The upper level was closed due to poor sales, and my man @ZoSoRose had a hunch on what hotel the band were staying it. Given how public the knowledge was that the band had been doing M&G’s outside the hotels during the Axl shows we figured we’d go down and check it out, and he guessed right. We met everybody except Cliff, everybody else was fantastic. 

• Like 2

On 10/11/2023 at 1:42 AM, Powerage5 said:

The upper level was closed due to poor sales, and my man @ZoSoRose had a hunch on what hotel the band were staying it. Given how public the knowledge was that the band had been doing M&G’s outside the hotels during the Axl shows we figured we’d go down and check it out, and he guessed right. We met everybody except Cliff, everybody else was fantastic. 

That's a kick arse story, really cool. Come on, you can't have an awesome story like that without photos, any chance of posting one? 

On 10/9/2023 at 6:34 PM, gt72 said:

Johnson is in his mid 70’s still sounded good enough to my ears but just kind of throwing that out there 

Johnson's health issues have been very public since he was forced to step down from AC/DC. Regardless of his vocal quality, just getting out on that stage and going for as long as they did was a huge achievement in itself. You could see the joy beaming from their and expecially Brian's faces

Axl on the other hand has been very elusive regarding his own ailments.

It's not that we are entitled to his full & detailed  health records  goes from city to city time and time again to take our money, giving zero interviews or PR (except having Duff / Fortus lie in interviews), turning up at the very last minute before showtime vocally unprepared, uninspired, unwilling to approach things differently & stubbornly selling & advertising his image as that of his prime when it is far from the case. 

I love seeing Guns live whenever the opportunity allows it, but there's no defending Axl now.

6 minutes ago, kanecrescente said:

Johnson's health issues have been very public since he was forced to step down from AC/DC. Regardless of his vocal quality, just getting out on that stage and going for as long as they did was a huge achievement in itself. You could see the joy beaming from their and expecially Brian's faces

Axl on the other hand has been very elusive regarding his own ailments.

It's not that we are entitled to his full & detailed  health records  goes from city to city time and time again to take our money, giving zero interviews or PR (except having Duff / Fortus lie in interviews), turning up at the very last minute before showtime vocally unprepared, uninspired, unwilling to approach things differently & stubbornly selling & advertising his image as that of his prime when it is far from the case. 

I love seeing Guns live whenever the opportunity allows it, but there's no defending Axl now.

And what difference Will make to you, knowing Axl ailments? You already Made your point quite clearly. 

And Brian was awful.

On 10/10/2023 at 8:42 AM, Powerage5 said:

That is the hotel I would have suggested but what cemented it for me was at the show he got the town the show was in mixed up with the town that hotel is in. 

I LOVED The Palace, I am so sad its gone. It was an incredible venue that still felt brand new. So many good memories, there.... What a waste 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, jimisbatman said:

That's a kick arse story, really cool. Come on, you can't have an awesome story like that without photos, any chance of posting one? 

I posted my pics with the band back in the day in the show thread for Auburn Hills. A longer version of the story (And my thoughts on the show) are further down on that page IIRC. 

• Like 1

I was at the Power Trip, it rocked!! Guns was good, I enjoyed it at the PIT! AC/DC was fantastic de highlight of the weekend! Yes Brian struggled with You Shook Me and a couple of others but was fine on the rest (for a 70+ guy) and Angus simply owned the festival! All the bands were great, im still tripping aobut seeing all of them at the same place! 

• Like 3
  • GNFNR 1

5 hours ago, Powerage5 said:

I posted my pics with the band back in the day in the show thread for Auburn Hills. A longer version of the story (And my thoughts on the show) are further down on that page IIRC. 

Bro, that is legendary...... Wow, wow, wow........ So cool. Love the photos and review. Now thats a story, thanks. 

• Thanks 1