10/06/23 - Indio, CA - PowerTrip Festival

downzy

Just now, Martin Riggs said:

GNR had Angus play with them at Coachella as a special guest. All of your other examples weren’t special one time events like Power Trip and I doubt many of those bands you listed played a set of mostly deep cut/new obscure songs.  

They also had him out to play at a bunch of other normal tour stops though. It wasn't that big a of a deal in the grand scheme of things, it wasn't a one-off.

And that's not really the point – the point is none of them did anything particularly special for 'a' big festival.

The Power Trip thing was about having those acts all on the same bill, there was never a promise of anything special from each individually. And given what they've all done at other festivals, I'm struggling to see why anyone would realistically expect them to do anything mindblowing, really. There's just no precedent for it.

• Like 1
  • GNFNR 1

On 10/7/2023 at 2:48 AM, gnrjanus said:

Those are his best songs to sing since like 2020

Every better and even ycbm sounded better before. 

Those are very hard songs to sing for a 60+r

I agree with this.

On 10/7/2023 at 10:35 AM, Martin Riggs said:

This event wasn’t supposed to be like that. One of the main selling points was 6 iconic bands doing a full headliner set at one location. 

I understand, but there are people who hoped and dare I say expected more.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, DoMw94 said:

They also had him out to play at a bunch of other normal tour stops though. It wasn't that big a of a deal in the grand scheme of things, it wasn't a one-off.

And that's not really the point – the point is none of them did anything particularly special for 'a' big festival.

That was the first time so it was a unique deal when it happened. Once again I didn’t say anything had to be that special, but IM’s set and that comment by Bruce about not giving a fuck is not normal for an event like this, let alone special. It was quite lame. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, DoMw94 said:

The Power Trip thing was about having those acts all on the same bill, there was never a promise of anything special from each individually. And given what they've all done at other festivals, I'm struggling to see why anyone would realistically expect them to do anything mindblowing, really. There's just no precedent for it.

I guess the expectations were mostly due to Power Trip being advertised as the hard rock/metal equivalent of Desert Trip/"Oldchella". The acts at Desert Trip had treated it as kind of special, they had guests, etc.

4 hours ago, Martin Riggs said:

Big acts do it all the time at festivals like Coachella (same location as Power Trip). This wasn’t supposed to be a normal festival. It’s a one off in which 6 acts are all doing headlining sets. I’m not even saying you have to do something super special, but I think there’s a big middle ground between that and playing mostly obscure songs and stating you don’t give a fuck if people have never heard them before. 

Then put the blame on the festival promoters, not Maiden. Maiden do not change their setlists, period. Often not even between different legs of the same tour. That's common knowledge, and the theme of this tour (Longer songs from the new album and deep cuts from Somewhere In Time) was known pretty clearly when they would've been booked for Power Trip even if the exact setlist wasn't set in stone until rehearsals happened in April. It's not the first time the band has done a setlist which is geared towards diehard fans (In 2006 they played the entire then-new A Matter Of Life And Death album front to back, and in 2010 they played almost exclusively songs released since 2000; that tour hit a number of major festivals including Wacken), and Bruce is well known to stir the pot plenty and wreak a little havoc - this is nothing that would come as a shock to a promoter, and you can't fault the band for taking a big fat paycheck if they're contacted to play a festival like this. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, RnRHOFGNR said:

These bands make so much money touring separately they don't need the joint tour to promote ticket sales.  I think most us know that but I also get the idea of another Metallica + GnR tour as being pretty awesome.

I think that could be their biggest tour yet if they wanted to keep doing stadiums. Imagine that a co-headliner thing. That would be amazing 

• Like 1

Brian Johnson vocal critiques are hysterical, especially coming from here.  The guy just played his first gig in almost eight years and did a two-hour and fifteen minute set at freaking 76 years old.  Most on this board are half his age and likely in bed by 11pm every night LOL

Aside from the AC/DC gig, ironically, Axl hasn't sounded halfway decent for more than a few ever-decreasing moments per show since 2010...Give the guy a break, for Christ's sake.

Edited by oneway23
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, oneway23 said:

Brian Johnson vocal critiques are hysterical, especially coming from here.  The guy just played his first gig in almost eight years and did a two-hour and fifteen minute set at freaking 76 years old.  Most on this board are half his age and likely in bed by 11pm every night LOL

Aside from the AC/DC gig, ironically, Axl hasn't sounded halfway decent for more than a few ever-decreasing moments per show since 2010...Give the guy a break, for Christ's sake.

I don't get why that's hysterical in a Gn'R context. You can critic both Axl and Brian as singers with taking into consideration age, health, personal circumstances, etc. 

I can stay all night just watching tv, finger painting, and eating pasta if I want, there are no limits.

Edited by Rovim
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Rovim said:

I don't get why that's hysterical in a Gn'R context. You can critic both Axl and Brian as singers with taking into consideration age, health, personal circumstances, etc. 

I can stay all night just watching tv, finger painting, and eating pasta if I want, there are no limits.

Of course you can criticize them both, but, you surely must admit that one could be forgiven for thinking that it could be perceived as being a little defensive, especially coming from Gn'R fans.

It was just momentarily hysterical to me seeing the critiques because Uncle Axl has regularly sounded rough live since at least his late 40s and so many on here have defended him so vociferously, and yet, here are a few of those same fans slagging off Brian Johnson at 76, and after an almost eight year lay-off, at that.  

I found it ironic, that's all.  It's not a contest or a debate.

Edited by oneway23
  • Like 3

7 minutes ago, oneway23 said:

Of course you can criticize them both, but, you surely must admit that one could be forgiven for thinking that it could be perceived as being a little defensive, especially coming from Gn'R fans.

It was just momentarily hysterical to me seeing the critiques because Uncle Axl has regularly sounded rough live since at least his late 40s and so many on here have defended him so vociferously, and yet, here are a few of those same fans slagging off Brian Johnson at 76, and after an almost eight year lay-off, at that.  

AC/DC fans are pretty critical of AC/DC themselves, but my point is that Axl's ability as a singer, diminishing ability whatever, is not a good enough of a reason of not giving an opinion on shit if you care about it, like how Brian sounded like at this AC/DC show cause it sometimes leads to an interesting discussion and maybe even sometimes gives us a clearer picture when it comes to live vocals which is a huge part of most hard rock shows.

15 minutes ago, oneway23 said:

There are a few people on this forum who are fans of both bands and have criticized both singers' performances taking the context (age etc.) into account.

For some people it's merely about enjoying what they hear or not. For others it's about seeing their favourite bands and singer(s), so they can cut them some slack despite the shortcomings.

I don't see a problem with any of this.

• Like 1

Just now, Blackstar said:

There are a few people on this forum who are fans of both bands and have criticized both singers' performances taking the context (age etc.) into account.

For some people it's merely about enjoying what they hear or not. For others it's about seeing their favourite bands and singer(s), so they can cut them some slack despite the shortcomings.

Understood... As you were. 

If this festival had a normal price and not something completely out of this world that would never live up to expectations, I'd be pissed to have missed it. Especially due to Judas Priest and Maiden. Maiden because I didn't catch them live on this tour, which has a 99% perfect setlist that would be a dream come true to see live, but Priest, that man.... is just a class act all around that gets me hyped even thinking about that concert.

• GNFNR 1

21 hours ago, Blackstar said:

The second point stands (longer set). But as far as the first goes, with the exception of four three songs (two of which from the recent album), all the rest were in the set list on the tour with Axl, which is when they toured last time. Or Axl/DC doesn't count?

Edit: I see now that it wasn't even longer than the Axl/DC shows (they played 23-25 songs then).

Axl DC doesnt count, Axl lengthened the shows and suggested they brought back several bon scott songs they weren't performing. This is based purely on the Brian Johnson sets which were usually shorter (in fact this is their second longest ever show with Brain in 43 years of touring) 

Edited by JimiRose

5 hours ago, oneway23 said:

I dont think anyone here is criticising brian and praising Axl. Brain Was still insanely good till about 12 years ago, identical to his heydey. But there was a slide in 2016/16 rock or bust tour and obv 7 years off don't help. For pure nostalgia purposes it is an incredible feat of human will and spirit at that age to be doing that. But just purely from a vocal stand point brian sounded like shit 95% of the songs and Axl sounds like shit 90% of the time. Doesn't mean they can't both still be enjoyed. If ive had 5 pints and it's a good atmosphere and im there, i dont care what they sound like tbh. But to the average person watching these videos, they're going to point and laugh, coz that's what humanity does. if they can accept the critics and mocking, then let them enjoy themselves. If they cant, retire!

5 hours ago, colonizedmind said:

One thing about this shit failed festival experiment (how those crowds were placed. Jeez!) I can say...WE NEED MORE LAZERS on the regular proper tour! Jazzes up the stale production a bit.

Just bring the pyro back from the 16/17 tour! 

Edited by JimiRose
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Blackstar said:

I fall into the latter. I know there are shortcomings for both Axl and Brian Johnson due to age. Still, I know that there will be a time that GNR, Metallica, Bon Jovi,  and AC/DC will not perform because of age, health, or not being with us any longer. You never know what can happen in their and your lives. I didn't think I would break my foot 3 days before the GNR show at MetLife. It happened. I was disappointed that it happened. Hopefully, I get to see GNR one more time before they retire or something happens to them. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JimiRose said:

I dont think anyone here is criticising brian and praising Axl. Brain Was still insanely good till about 12 years ago, identical to his heydey. But there was a slide in 2016/16 rock or bust tour and obv 7 years off don't help. For pure nostalgia purposes it is an incredible feat of human will and spirit at that age to be doing that. But just purely from a vocal stand point brian sounded like shit 95% of the songs and Axl sounds like shit 90% of the time. Doesn't mean they can't both still be enjoyed. If ive had 5 pints and it's a good atmosphere and im there, i dont care what they sound like tbh. But to the average person watching these videos, they're going to point and laugh, coz that's what humanity does. if they can accept the critics and mocking, then let them enjoy themselves. If they cant, retire!

Just bring the pyro back from the 16/17 tour! 

I get the point you’re making, but AC/DC fans would almost unanimously disagree with your assessment of when Brian was still at “his peak” and when his voice went to shit. Almost everyone would probably say his peak ended after The Razor’s Edge Tour in 90/91. He came back in 1995 with Ballbreaker still sounding good, but very different to the previous tour. He more or less maintained this voice through the 2003 tour, and then sounded quite rough for Black Ice in 2008-2010 (Ironically the same time the band started downtuning). Most would say his 2015 voice was his strongest since at least Ballbreaker, but of course 2016 was an entirely difference story when his hearing deteriorated. It’s not like Brian was maintaining his insane growl all those years up until right before he got sacked. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Powerage5 said:

I get the point you’re making, but AC/DC fans would almost unanimously disagree with your assessment of when Brian was still at “his peak” and when his voice went to shit. Almost everyone would probably say his peak ended after The Razor’s Edge Tour in 90/91. He came back in 1995 with Ballbreaker still sounding good, but very different to the previous tour. He more or less maintained this voice through the 2003 tour, and then sounded quite rough for Black Ice in 2008-2010 (Ironically the same time the band started downtuning). Most would say his 2015 voice was his strongest since at least Ballbreaker, but of course 2016 was an entirely difference story when his hearing deteriorated. It’s not like Brian was maintaining his insane growl all those years up until right before he got sacked. 

Think you're being a bit harsh about the black ice tour, he was on fire! saw them at wembley and download and obv seen the river plate gig on dvd. still sounded fantastic

My buddy who went to the concert said in reference to this show after I asked how it was: "Meh. Good guitar player doesn't make up for being that late and so-so vocals."

I would say he is more of a casual Guns N' Roses fan, compared to most of the folks here. He listens to MANY other bands, big names and otherwise, far more music than me since I pretty much only listen to Guns, VR, NIN and half a dozen others regularly. lol

4 minutes ago, Sweersa said:

My buddy who went to the concert said in reference to this show after I asked how it was: "Meh. Good guitar player doesn't make up for being that late and so-so vocals."

I would say he is more of a casual Guns N' Roses fan, compared to most of the folks here. He listens to MANY other bands, big names and otherwise, far more music than me since I pretty much only listen to Guns, VR, NIN and half a dozen others regularly. lol

Did he go to this concert or the one in Sacramento?

18 minutes ago, Sweersa said:

It's a bit harsh to put the blame for the late start on GN'R - seems pretty clear to me they didn't leave enough time for the changeover built into the schedule, considering how involved tearing down Maiden's stage set is. Think it was scheduled for a 40 minute changeover and there's absolutely no way they can tear down Maiden's set and get ready for GN'R in that amount of time.