10/06/23 - Indio, CA - PowerTrip Festival

downzy

7 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

20231125.jpg

(I have posted the picture of Slash with the Metallica guys a page back - both pictures taken by Ross Halfin)

Thank you. Susan has a video of Lars and James seeing the concert from Susan's side. James even Is headbanging.

I would love to see a picture of the Ginger guy with him or Brian

• Like 4

54 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

Thanks!

20231126.jpg

20231127.jpg

Soo funny seeing like the whole of Metallica there, like they turned up for class early! Do they check out the competition as a collective often? Ya, a redemption joint tour would be cool for nostalgia, but don't tell Ax, that'll be his theory to keep the stadiums selling sans album!! 

6 minutes ago, colonizedmind said:

Soo funny seeing like the whole of Metallica there, like they turned up for class early! Do they check out the competition as a collective often? Ya, a redemption joint tour would be cool for nostalgia, but don't tell Ax, that'll be his theory to keep the stadiums selling sans album!! 

These bands make so much money touring separately they don't need the joint tour to promote ticket sales.  I think most us know that but I also get the idea of another Metallica + GnR tour as being pretty awesome.

1 hour ago, RnRHOFGNR said:

These bands make so much money touring separately they don't need the joint tour to promote ticket sales.  I think most us know that but I also get the idea of another Metallica + GnR tour as being pretty awesome.

GNR have really had to push tickets hard this USA tour ...a lot of upper tiers closed dude! It is a case of diminishing returns from here on end until eventually arenas (which I'd love!) But something must unstick if they like that stadium money! Album or legends tour ...they won't want wanna stop stadiums BUT promoters will make that decisions and take it outta their hands eventually...

Edited by colonizedmind
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Martin Riggs said:

At least it was a show you couldn’t see somewhere else recently for cheaper. Why even book Iron Maiden for this type of event if they’re just gonna do the same arena show of deep cuts they’ve been doing their whole tour? Lame. 

So, what? Every band at every festival then?

Edited by DoMw94

6 hours ago, Powerage5 said:

In a strange way, Priest has actually put in the most effort to making this a unique show despite being a pure greatest hits set. It was their only show in 2023, the setlist wasn’t too similar to their previous tour, and they had Glen guest with them in the encore. 

And they announced a new album too.

• GNFNR 1

10 hours ago, RnRHOFGNR said:

If people are willing to buy tickets to shows that they can still make money on there's no reason why they can't continue yes there will be a lot of criticism for doing so but I don't think they care nor should they.

At the end of the day who am I to tell someone they should stop doing what they love because its not as good as it used to be.  If there's money out there to be made and they want it I say go for it till you genuinely don't want to do it anymore fuck the haters do what makes you happy.

I agree, if they want to, but as long as they can handle the mocking and criticism which they will get, it's vital that they do it because they enjoy it. but as time goes by no doubt the audiences and stages get smaller (more gnr than acdc) and the critics get louder. But if they do not care, and they enjoy it, then they should carry on. But as we've seen from TB the slightest bit of criticism is hardly well received. 

11 hours ago, DoMw94 said:

Did they though? I wouldn't say so, because this is their first show in a long time, so it's hard to see if it's anything out of the ordinary.

I bet if they go on to do a run of shows it'll be same setlist

There were a lot of songs on there they either A. dont normally do or havent done for a long time and B. the set was longer than the usual acdc set. I'd say they made a special effort by bringing all the hits, some hardly played and playing for longer

34 minutes ago, JimiRose said:

There were a lot of songs on there they either A. dont normally do or havent done for a long time and B. the set was longer than the usual acdc set. I'd say they made a special effort by bringing all the hits, some hardly played and playing for longer

The second point stands (longer set). But as far as the first goes, with the exception of four three songs (two of which from the recent album), all the rest were in the set list on the tour with Axl, which is when they toured last time. Or Axl/DC doesn't count?

Edit: I see now that it wasn't even longer than the Axl/DC shows (they played 23-25 songs then).

Edited by Blackstar
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

The second point stands (longer set). But as far as the first goes, with the exception of four songs (two of which from the recent album), all the rest were in the set on the tour with Axl, which is when they toured last time. Or Axl/DC doesn't count?

Axl/DC was a Marvel. Of course It counts

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DoMw94 said:

Why would anyone do something special for a festival though? It's not their audience

Big acts do it all the time at festivals like Coachella (same location as Power Trip). This wasn’t supposed to be a normal festival. It’s a one off in which 6 acts are all doing headlining sets. I’m not even saying you have to do something super special, but I think there’s a big middle ground between that and playing mostly obscure songs and stating you don’t give a fuck if people have never heard them before. 

40 minutes ago, Gordon Comstock said:

I wonder if Maynard also heard/watched the GNR set? :lol:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CyJhSalpeGB/

He didn't (not live, at least). Tool played at Aftershock Festival that night. And GN'R are playing there tonight, so they are not meant to watch each other :lol:

I just posted about this in another thread. There is a back story of animosity between them.

Edited by Blackstar
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Gordon Comstock said:

I wonder if Maynard also heard/watched the GNR set? :lol:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CyJhSalpeGB/

Poor Maynard is so pretentious, he just makes himself look like a dick with his own over-inflated ego that he has no insight into. 

I still love Tool, and hope that he crawls out of his own arse to make a new record again soon as he is very talented. Just a wanker. At least Axl seems reasonably humble in comparison.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, DownUnderScott said:

Poor Maynard is so pretentious, he just makes himself look like a dick with his own over-inflated ego that he has no insight into. 

I still love Tool, and hope that he crawls out of his own arse to make a new record again soon as he is very talented. Just a wanker. At least Axl seems reasonably humble in comparison.

I just came across him complimenting GNR on the joe rogan podcast. No idea, what his motivation was here, maybe mean spirited or maybe just light hearted fun

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Martin Riggs said:

Big acts do it all the time at festivals like Coachella (same location as Power Trip).

All the examples I can think of – Guns N' Roses at Coachella, Rock in Rio, Download, Glastonbury, and BST Festival; The Rolling Stones at Glastonbury and BST Festival; Metallica at Glastonbury and Download, Foo Fighters at Glastonbury and Rock am Ring; Queen at Rock in Rio, Aerosmith at Download and Rock in Rio, Kiss at Download, Def Leppard at Download, Iron Maiden at Download and Rock in Rio, and AC/DC at Download (where they even took their tour stage!) – all just did their regular shows from whatever tour they were on when they headlined major festivals.

It's pretty common for big bands to just treat a festival date like 'another' stop on whatever tour they're on.

Edited by DoMw94
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, DoMw94 said:

All the examples I can think of – Guns N' Roses at Coachella, Rock in Rio, Download, Glastonbury, and BST Festival; The Rolling Stones at Glastonbury and BST Festival; Metallica at Glastonbury and Download, Foo Fighters at Glastonbury and Rock am Ring; Queen at Rock in Rio, Aerosmith at Download and Rock in Rio, Kiss at Download, Def Leppard at Download, Iron Maiden at Download and Rock in Rio, and AC/DC at Download (where they even took their tour stage!) – all just did their regular shows from whatever tour they were on when they headlined major festivals.

It's pretty common for big bands to just treat a festival date like 'another' stop on whatever tour they're on.

GNR had Angus play with them at Coachella as a special guest. All of your other examples weren’t special one time events like Power Trip and I doubt many of those bands you listed played a set of mostly deep cut/new obscure songs.  

Just now, Martin Riggs said:

GNR had Angus play with them at Coachella as a special guest. All of your other examples weren’t special one time events like Power Trip and I doubt many of those bands you listed played a set of mostly deep cut/new obscure songs.  

and Dave Grohl at Glastonbury.

Yea, the point of this festival was that it's a 'once in a lifetime' kind of thing, I think most people were hoping for something special but so far only AC/DC has given that (debuts of PWR UP songs, Riff Raff, longer than normal set, etc).

• Like 1