10/06/23 - Indio, CA - PowerTrip Festival

downzy

From the LA Times review below is what my issue is with last night. Just some older bands treating what was supposed to be a special event as just another show. Kinda lame, especially for the prices people are paying to attend and stay nearby for the weekend. 

the show also felt a bit standard-issue: just another gig for a hard-working rock band rather than the one-off spectacle its setting might’ve led some to hope for. The same largely went for Iron Maiden, which preceded Guns N’ Roses on Friday with a very solid version of its current arena production. (Goldenvoice, the promoter that puts on these Indio festivals, refused to disclose the size of the crowds at Power Trip, though the number is well into the tens of thousands.)

3 minutes ago, Martin Riggs said:

From the LA Times review below is what my issue is with last night. Just some older bands treating what was supposed to be a special event as just another show. Kinda lame, especially for the prices people are paying to attend and stay nearby for the weekend. 

the show also felt a bit standard-issue: just another gig for a hard-working rock band rather than the one-off spectacle its setting might’ve led some to hope for. The same largely went for Iron Maiden, which preceded Guns N’ Roses on Friday with a very solid version of its current arena production. (Goldenvoice, the promoter that puts on these Indio festivals, refused to disclose the size of the crowds at Power Trip, though the number is well into the tens of thousands.)

I think one thing that could have helped make this Powertrip festival more special is having the bands do a collaboration of some sort.  

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, AxlRoseCDII said:

Probably just conspiracy from me but I’ve always thought it’s sounded so good and nuanced that at some point they’ve tried recording a studio cover. It’s possible it’s just gotten fine tuned over the past few years but either way it’s one of the best pieces of musicianship from this band in years.

I remember when they debuted that and I Got You (I Feel Good) in 2017 Axl mentioned that they had rehearsed them.

I think Axl rehearsed it and worked with the band for the arrangement. He clearly loves it. It will be a real shame if they don't record a studio version. They have the arrangement ready, they could do it in one day.

• Like 2
  • GNFNR 1

1 hour ago, Blackstar said:

I remember when they debuted that and I Got You (I Feel Good) in 2017 Axl mentioned that they had rehearsed them.

I think Axl rehearsed it and worked with the band for the arrangement. He clearly loves it. It will be a real shame if they don't record a studio version. They have the arrangement ready, they could do it in one day.

Axl sounded great on I Feel Good. Shame that never came back, think it was cooler than the AC/DC covers.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, AxlRoseCDII said:

Probably just conspiracy from me but I’ve always thought it’s sounded so good and nuanced that at some point they’ve tried recording a studio cover. It’s possible it’s just gotten fine tuned over the past few years but either way it’s one of the best pieces of musicianship from this band in years.

It'll be put on a future 'album' as such as some point I think... same way they played Heavens Door for ages... probably same with The Seeker

10 minutes ago, JimiRose said:

Only ACDC made a special effort with the setlist.

Did they though? I wouldn't say so, because this is their first show in a long time, so it's hard to see if it's anything out of the ordinary.

I bet if they go on to do a run of shows it'll be same setlist

• GNFNR 2

1 hour ago, DoMw94 said:

Did they though? I wouldn't say so, because this is their first show in a long time, so it's hard to see if it's anything out of the ordinary.

I bet if they go on to do a run of shows it'll be same setlist

Edited by RnRHOFGNR
quoted wrong post

1 hour ago, JimiRose said:

Only ACDC made a special effort with the setlist. GnR gave nothing you couldnt get for a third of the price anywhere else and maiden just played their deep cuts thing they've been doing on their tour. Axl is starting to really struggle on most songs now. Brian sadly also sounded his age. thats no criticism, he's mid 70s and trying to sing like brian johnson 30-40. Purely for the 'One more time' aspect it was great to see acdc. But I think it more than confirmed they are done. Axl and ACDC should just be studio bands now. 

I hear this alot from many people and it's easy to say but the reality is not that simple.  When performing on stage and singing is someone's livelihood it's what they've been doing all their lives and more than likely they enjoy doing so, it's also how they make money to make things happen in their lives or the people they care about its not that simple.  If people are willing to buy tickets to shows that they can still make money on there's no reason why they can't continue yes there will be a lot of criticism for doing so but I don't think they care nor should they.

At the end of the day who am I to tell someone they should stop doing what they love because its not as good as it used to be.  If there's money out there to be made and they want it I say go for it till you genuinely don't want to do it anymore fuck the haters do what makes you happy.

1 hour ago, JimiRose said:

Only ACDC made a special effort with the setlist. GnR gave nothing you couldnt get for a third of the price anywhere else and maiden just played their deep cuts thing they've been doing on their tour. Axl is starting to really struggle on most songs now. Brian sadly also sounded his age. thats no criticism, he's mid 70s and trying to sing like brian johnson 30-40. Purely for the 'One more time' aspect it was great to see acdc. But I think it more than confirmed they are done. Axl and ACDC should just be studio bands now. 

They might have different plans.

Screenshot_20231008-131055.png.9654b2ef5fc146a1df122ad56bb65211.png

10 hours ago, Martin Riggs said:

Yea.....this was billed as a "special event", hence charging folk HUGE prices for something that you can't just see on the regular tour...if anything, a minus show to the normal tour....shorter set, another one dropping their 2023 single too. Axl going through the motions of this one and using the 100 dollar bills as toilet roll! The next tour show will absolutely be better value and no doubt they'll be more into it! What was the point in this "special event" ? Oldchella was much better in 2016

• Like 1

1 hour ago, colonizedmind said:

Yea.....this was billed as a "special event", hence charging folk HUGE prices for something that you can't just see on the regular tour...if anything, a minus show to the normal tour....shorter set, another one dropping their 2023 single too. Axl going through the motions of this one and using the 100 dollar bills as toilet roll! The next tour show will absolutely be better value and no doubt they'll be more into it! What was the point in this "special event" ? Oldchella was much better in 2016

its 2023, everyone has to whine about everything.  What exactly are they supposed to do different?  People didn't pay more to see guns, they paid to see a lot of bands playing with guns.  I would never do anything more at a festival.  

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Powerage5 said:

You ain't kidding - Blade Runner theme into Caught Somewhere In Time is the best opening I've seen them do, and that encompasses every tour since 2005. 

Had, yes. He's been cancer free since 2015, and it didn't really affect him at all (In the immediate time following his cancer treatment he was actually sounding better than right before his cancer). More recently Nicko had a stroke earlier this year which left him with limited mobility - his drumming has been a little simplified as he works towards fully regaining his movement. 

I really, really hope you get to. It's a diehard's absolute dream with so many deep cuts, new songs, and so few massive hits. 

the blade runner intro is only in this tpur like in 1986, the previous song is Doctor.doctor by UFO.