10/06/23 - Indio, CA - PowerTrip Festival

downzy

2 minutes ago, Dani_1455 said:

Agree, Axl arrives to the notes in another way but Brian can't even sing properly

That performance was almost as bad as Jon Bon Jovi. Which says a lot.

Look, it’s cool when a legendary band comes back, but it doesn’t give them (or specifically, the singer) a pass to just do a bad performance. Brian had a brilliant career but it’s more than evident it’s time to hang it up.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, colonizedmind said:

Yea.....this was billed as a "special event", hence charging folk HUGE prices for something that you can't just see on the regular tour...if anything, a minus show to the normal tour....shorter set, another one dropping their 2023 single too. Axl going through the motions of this one and using the 100 dollar bills as toilet roll! The next tour show will absolutely be better value and no doubt they'll be more into it! What was the point in this "special event" ? Oldchella was much better in 2016

Oh, I think you know what the point of this event was.......

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, AxlRoseCDII said:

Sorry, but Brian sounds fucking horrible. Worse than Axl. AC/DC needs to retire immediately.

He didn't sound great. No question. 

I think they should do a very small tour and play shorter sets. 2hrs of that material is not an easy task for ANY singer never mind a guy hurtling towards 80

6 hours ago, DoMw94 said:

Did they though? I wouldn't say so, because this is their first show in a long time, so it's hard to see if it's anything out of the ordinary.

I bet if they go on to do a run of shows it'll be same setlist

At least it was a show you couldn’t see somewhere else recently for cheaper. Why even book Iron Maiden for this type of event if they’re just gonna do the same arena show of deep cuts they’ve been doing their whole tour? Lame. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

Axl looks great in these pictures, I have to say, especially in black pants-black shirt outfits.

Just missing Brian's paddy hat, he'll fit right in and gnr are off next year. Conspiracy launched🚀😉

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Martin Riggs said:

At least it was a show you couldn’t see somewhere else recently for cheaper. Why even book Iron Maiden for this type of event if they’re just gonna do the same arena show of deep cuts they’ve been doing their whole tour? Lame. 

It was essentially the same show. Gnr did the exact same thing Maiden did🤣

Commending one over the other for the same thing makes no sense.

Gnrs set is filled with songs that are deep cuts for 80% of any given audience 

• Like 1

I watched as much of the AC/DC set as I could bear. Loved seeing how much fun Brian was having. Did not love the sounds coming out of his mouth.

It would be better if he didn't try to hit the top of every single note - adjust the melodies a bit to fit your age and save what's left for the big ones. He could absolutely carry a tour but not a chance if he attempts to sing the songs the way he always has. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

15 minutes ago, highvoltage said:

I watched as much of the AC/DC set as I could bear. Loved seeing how much fun Brian was having. Did not love the sounds coming out of his mouth.

It would be better if he didn't try to hit the top of every single note - adjust the melodies a bit to fit your age and save what's left for the big ones. He could absolutely carry a tour but not a chance if he attempts to sing the songs the way he always has. 

Seems to be the theme with a lot of singers in this spot. Similiar words have been said about Axl with his mid range. I wonder if it’s just an ego thing or just a lack of wanting to relearn something you’ve done for decades.

15 minutes ago, Tom2112 said:

It was essentially the same show. Gnr did the exact same thing Maiden did🤣

Commending one over the other for the same thing makes no sense.

Gnrs set is filled with songs that are deep cuts for 80% of any given audience 

GNR played a hell of a lot more hits for this kind of crowd than IM. Playing the same deep cuts/new songs you’ve been playing at arena shows all tour for this kind of event is lazy and boring. Apparently Bruce said something to the crowd that that he didn’t give a fuck if they hadn’t heard these songs before. I don’t follow IM at all but that’s a pretty douchey thing to utter at this kind of event. You want to play a bunch of obscure songs, then stick to your arena tour and don’t sign up for this. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Martin Riggs said:

GNR played a hell of a lot more hits for this kind of crowd than IM. Playing the same deep cuts/new songs you’ve been playing at arena shows all tour for this kind of event is lazy and boring. Apparently Bruce said something to the crowd that that he didn’t give a fuck if they hadn’t heard these songs before. I don’t follow IM at all but that’s a pretty douchey thing to utter at this kind of event. You want to play a bunch of obscure songs, then stick to your arena tour and don’t sign up for this. 

I don't follow IM either, but I also don't agree that you have to pander to the audience. 

Having said that, I get that some people would not enjoy a show that featured 5 new songs and didn't include some of the bands most well known songs. I do appreciate that Maiden were willing to go out there and not just be nostalgia because it's expected. I know Metallica will do the pandering (big Metallica fan)... But it would be amazing if they went out and didn't just do the usual for whom the bell tolls, Fuel, Sad but true, Nothing else matters, Puppets, Sandman (play some of these not all)... when you're a band in your 60s+ you should be able to go out and play the sets that you actually want to play, and the audience can then decide if they want to see it or not. People going to Power trip expecting Maiden to play a hits set were clearly well out of the loop.

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Martin Riggs said:

All that is a symptom - or maybe part of the cause, actually - of how irrelevant a genre rock has become. There are a lot of people willing to pay large amounts of money for concerts, who demand to hear only the songs they know.

Maybe acts should change their M.O. They could play at big venues or festivals with 10-15 song sets and charge the same as they do now - the crowds that want to hear only the hits would pay anyway - and then play deep cuts heavy sets at smaller venues in the same cities.

I was at both nights.  GNR was great - with Axl, I’ve come to “adjust” my expectations for his vocals. You’re gonna get some great moments and some tough ones.  Hadn’t seen them since ‘21, so the setlist was a treat.  Getting to see Pretty Tied Up, Reckless Live, Anything Goes, etc. was great.  Surprisingly, Axl sounded incredible on the bridge in Better.  One of the best vocal moments.  Also, he really sounded great on Paradise City (which had been cringey on prior tours).  GNR came out just before 10 and played till 1-I do think they would have gone longer absent the curfew.

ACDC was great too.  Agreed that Brian sounded tough at times (especially You Shook Me All Night Long).  This whole weekend, I see more AC/DC shirts than any other band-it really does feel like it’s their festival.  We were surprised that the curfew was 12 last night.  The lady at one of the bars told us they were told by the venue that they had to shut it down with little notice.  Not sure if the curfew dictated the 2ish hour length of ACDC’s set or vice versa.

Can’t wait for tonight.

• Like 3