10/06/23 - Indio, CA - PowerTrip Festival

downzy

6 hours ago, Dangom1 said:

Are there one or two stages at this festival? because I can imagine Maiden having a big stage which will take time to change over to Guns stage 🤷

Maiden’s stage set is fairly involved - they basically have an upper level to the stage that surrounds the lower level on three sides like a horseshoe, it’s about 7 feet tall and maybe 10 feet behind the drum riser. They also have a unique rigging at the back of the stage that’s basically a series of curtain rods each with a different backdrop on it, they’ll go through about ten different backdrops in a show. Everything about their show is old school practical effects, no digital screens. I imagine changeover will take quite some time and there isn’t a practical way to back line their production. 

The rigging has been the same for the last 20 years with the visuals changing every tour - this picture is a good representation of their setup:

image.png.1d6cd46fbc9b700debf992804d3dd88c.png

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Powerage5 said:

Maiden’s stage set is fairly involved - they basically have an upper level to the stage that surrounds the lower level on three sides like a horseshoe, it’s about 7 feet tall and maybe 10 feet behind the drum riser. They also have a unique rigging at the back of the stage that’s basically a series of curtain rods each with a different backdrop on it, they’ll go through about ten different backdrops in a show. Everything about their show is old school practical effects, no digital screens. I imagine changeover will take quite some time and there isn’t a practical way to back line their production. 

The rigging has been the same for the last 20 years with the visuals changing every tour - this picture is a good representation of their setup:

Very cool setup. Are there no screens, for live concert footage not effects and such, for the people in the back to see what's going on?

5 minutes ago, Coma16 said:

Very cool setup. Are there no screens, for live concert footage not effects and such, for the people in the back to see what's going on?

When i saw them last year they had two small screens on wich i could see some clone ups 👍 

They dont have big screens like Guns 😊

• Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, Coma16 said:

They have side screen stages with a feed of the concert yes, they just don’t use screens for visual effects of any sort. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, DSTK said:

I've a feeling ACDC will be terrible, Brian can't be the old himself 

As long as they tune down, he shouldn't have a problem. The voice is still there, he's just been struggling with the really high stuff. Usually when he does guest spots they play it like it is on the album and he can't keep up with that. I'm sure the band has been rehearsing and found a way for Brian to go through the songs without struggling.

42 minutes ago, TheGeneral said:

As long as they tune down, he shouldn't have a problem. The voice is still there, he's just been struggling with the really high stuff. Usually when he does guest spots they play it like it is on the album and he can't keep up with that. I'm sure the band has been rehearsing and found a way for Brian to go through the songs without struggling.

Adjust their setlist to suit him, worked with guns this year 

2 hours ago, Powerage5 said:

Now they have digital screen at both sides

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, rudolf1978 said:

Now they have digital screen at both sides

Yep, forgot to mention they have side fill screens on this tour. I meant more along the lines of they don’t use a full video screen like Guns do (I.e. they can’t practically share equipment for the sake of a quicker turnover). That side the side fill screens are really just used to “extend” the backdrops for about half of the show (Days Of Future Past, The Prisoner, Alexander The Great, etc). Much different than how most bands make the video screens the focal point of the backdrop. 

6 hours ago, VeeR said:

AC/DC and Guns n Roses are in the same area. I doubt Axl will ever make a guest appearance with AC/DC.

But what are the chances Angus makes a guest appearance with GNR? GNR has that small selection of ACDC covers they could choose from (Riff Raff/Whole Lotta Rosie/Walk All Over You).

Wishful thinking...I know

I would love to see them do Back In Black or Walk All Over You with Angus (don't care about Rosie or Riff Raf because we've already seen them do those together).

46 minutes ago, colonizedmind said:

Did he get that miracle in-ear device that he was saying was necessary for him ever be able to tour again? So this probably just a one off if that didn't happen....

It was some sort of in-ear technology, and yes, he got it. That's why he's able to do this show and the handful of guest spots he's done since.

Speaking of which, I hope he's been working on his voice/fitness, because at the Taylor Hawkins tribute show last year he was truly awful. Couldn't even get to the second verse of the first song before tapping out. I'm definitely rooting for him this weekend, but I'm keeping my expectations in check

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, onurbayrak.123 said:

This is the first time Hetfield and Rose are touring/together since 1992 wow. Let's see if there will be any interaction between them, I bet not, lol.

Gn'R is playing in Sacramento the night Metallica is playing this fest. Unless Hetfield is hanging out all weekend, it's doubtful. I'm sure Lars will be there to watch Gn'R. 

• Like 2