Perhaps - New Guns N' Roses Single - Discussion

This version improves on the demo in every way for me. I love how much more clear the vocals are, especially in the choruses. The new drums also level up the chorus even more, and they're all around a better fit for the song. The layers that were removed from the demo make sense and help leave room for the band, and Slash's little riffs in the verses make more sense for the song than the NuGuns sounds there. I'm honestly really impressed that they managed to make a song this old make more sense.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

Side note: I don't know if it's just me, but I'm having the impression that the forum has been slowly turning into discord, maybe because many forum members are in discord servers, too.

Not long ago there was a tendency to start new threads, sometimes to a point where there were more than one threads for similar topics. Now it's the opposite trend: it looks like people want to discuss everything in the same thread. For example, now there normally would be another thread for rating the three released singles, another one about whether the General or Atlas will be next, maybe another specifically about the lyrics of Perhaps, and so on. I don't like this trend. I prefer forums over discord exactly because discussions are supposed to be less "chaotic' and ephemeral.

Anyway, just an observation. Carry on :)

I think this will probably prompt people here to start a thread about The General and Atlas Shrugged as soon as Monday when the Perhypes has mellowed down. :lol:

• Haha 2

11 minutes ago, colonizedmind said:

I think it grows too....glad you're coming round. Whatever it is, it's upward trajectory and that can only be a good thing

I gotta check myself sometimes, it's easy to go "ahh this isn't perfect in this way"... but nothing else they have done is, and every song I like is the same... So I just sat and listened like I used to do with the other albums, and yeah it's good. It's not going to set the world alight, but that's ok. It's good to hear them again.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AxlRoseCDII said:

Wanted to make a poll but it won’t let me make a new thread. What’s your guys favorite song of the 3?

Mine is Perhaps>Hard Skool>Absurd

Absurd’s production is better than HS but I like HS more as a song. Absurd is still great though.  Perhaps is a musical treat to me. Love it, but I’m also a CD nerd.

I love CD too. I'd put Hard Skool above Absurd, Perhaps, Scraped, Shackler's, Riad, Sorry and IRS, even though the main guitar riff is basically just a variation of the "Dead Horse" riff cranked up to 11. It's a solid rock song, catchy, melodic, good chorus and Axl sings it very well. I have no idea why he left it off the album and re-did it with Slash and Duff suffocating much of its initial spark. This would have brought the house down on the CD tour. With Slash and Duff it has become somewhat of a generic turd. I really don't like any of their input on any of the CD material at all.

Perhaps sounds like three different fragments that had potential but were not taken any further and then randomly smashed together without any connection or flow whatsoever and then copy and pasted with until they could blow the initial 1:30 minutes of actual music they had into an excuse of a single. I love that piano riff, it had so much potential, but after hearing the final product I'm just super disappointed.

Absurd....I could see the 30 seconds of actual music that are there being put on an album as some interlude or some punk lights on now get the fuck outta here track, but the final product is nowhere near worth a second listen at all. As a fan who has followed and supported the entire CD era (plus all of the classic years), I was shocked when I realized they were basically just taking the piss by putting this out as their comeback single. I have stopped attending shows around that time. The fact the Slash noddles on it doesn't make it any less of a piss piece.

Overall I'm just super disappointed of Axl and the rest of the band too. Will cut the guys some slack any time for all the joy and inspiration their music brought to my life, but three way of least resistance piss tracks in a row while charging and arm and a leg at the door and coming up with absolutely nothing original to show for is really pushing it.

9 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

Side note: I don't know if it's just me, but I'm having the impression that the forum has been slowly turning into discord, maybe because many forum members are in discord servers, too.

Not long ago there was a tendency to start new threads, sometimes to a point where there were more than one threads for similar topics. For example, in this case there normally would be another thread for rating the three released singles, another one about whether the General or Atlas will be next, maybe another specifically about the lyrics of Perhaps, and so on.  But now it's the opposite trend: it looks like people want to discuss everything in the same thread.

I don't like this trend. I prefer forums over discord exactly because discussions are supposed to be less "chaotic' and ephemeral.

Anyway, just an observation. Carry on :)

I tried to make a thread for what I brought up by the way. Don’t know if it’s a glitch or whatever but it wouldn’t let me make the thread so that’s why I asked it here.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Giblet said:

I gotta check myself sometimes, it's easy to go "ahh this isn't perfect in this way"... but nothing else they have done is, and every song I like is the same... So I just sat and listened like I used to do with the other albums, and yeah it's good. It's not going to set the world alight, but that's ok. It's good to hear them again.

Exactly....this is not a day to overthink....we owe ourselves a breather....

For now.

Just now, Outofgascar said:

That's a great album title.

Mickey's fucked.....is better 

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, AxlRoseCDII said:

I tried to make a thread for what I brought up by the way. Don’t know if it’s a glitch or whatever but it wouldn’t let me make the thread so that’s why I asked it here.

Oh, no worries. I wasn't referring to anyone in particular and I didn't read through the last few pages, I just scrolled down and saw many parallel discussions going on.

Can't wait to get the final product on Spotify tonight. Gotta check that out in the car stereo. 

Checked that Reddit post and played that through my soundbar in my basement. I'm torn on one part and that's Duff's bass during the verses. Like, it sounds so good. But I kinda wish it was turned down in the mix just a tad little bit? I'd like to hear more of Slash's parts but they sound slightly buried. But hey, that's a radio rip posted on reddit. The final product could very well address my issue. 

Regardless, the verse parts I couldn't really hear in a bar as they just pumped bass no matter the song. Either way, I'm confident in saying of the 3 songs, this one is mixed the best. 

4 minutes ago, rocknroll41 said:

Anyone else find it weird that this single was released entirely thru Geffen even though GnR Records exists now?

Looks like they've dropped the GN'R Records name?

It doesn't show on the last two singles either now on Apple and Spotify.

"Guns N'Roses, Under exclusive license to Geffen Records"

• Wow 1

6 minutes ago, rocknroll41 said:

Anyone else find it weird that this single was released entirely thru Geffen even though GnR Records exists now?

Especially when they are not using big Geffen money for promotion to help people be aware of their new single lol

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, DingBat said:

Looks like they've dropped the GN'R Records name?

It doesn't show on the last two singles either now on Apple and Spotify.

"Guns N'Roses, Under exclusive license to Geffen Records"

It was the same for Absurd and Hard Skool.

It seems "GN'R Records" is for the back catalogue only.

In both cases though it's the same arrangement: GN'R owns the copyright of the sound recordings and there is exclusive license to Geffen for distribution.

Edited by Blackstar
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, adamsapple said:

I love CD too. I'd put Hard Skool above Absurd, Perhaps, Scraped, Shackler's, Riad, Sorry and IRS, even though the main guitar riff is basically just a variation of the "Dead Horse" riff cranked up to 11. It's a solid rock song, catchy, melodic, good chorus and Axl sings it very well. I have no idea why he left it off the album and re-did it with Slash and Duff suffocating much of its initial spark. This would have brought the house down on the CD tour. With Slash and Duff it has become somewhat of a generic turd. I really don't like any of their input on any of the CD material at all.

Perhaps sounds like three different fragments that had potential but were not taken any further and then randomly smashed together without any connection or flow whatsoever and then copy and pasted with until they could blow the initial 1:30 minutes of actual music they had into an excuse of a single. I love that piano riff, it had so much potential, but after hearing the final product I'm just super disappointed.

Absurd....I could see the 30 seconds of actual music that are there being put on an album as some interlude or some punk lights on now get the fuck outta here track, but the final product is nowhere near worth a second listen at all. As a fan who has followed and supported the entire CD era (plus all of the classic years), I was shocked when I realized they were basically just taking the piss by putting this out as their comeback single. I have stopped attending shows around that time. The fact the Slash noddles on it doesn't make it any less of a piss piece.

Overall I'm just super disappointed of Axl and the rest of the band too. Will cut the guys some slack any time for all the joy and inspiration their music brought to my life, but three way of least resistance piss tracks in a row while charging and arm and a leg at the door and coming up with absolutely nothing original to show for is really pushing it.

Shacklers  Demo Is still a decent song, love Bucket and Axl on that demo

29 minutes ago, CoBrA2168 said:

Just imagine if you could go back to 1999 or whenever the original demo was recorded and put together and tell Axl “I come from the future, and I’m here to tell you that you’ll release this song in 2023 with Slash and Duff on it.”

It’s just crazy to think what roller coaster the band has been through over the years.

Lol yeah he was all “fuck those guys” when he recorded most these vocals they now play under. I don’t think anyone could predict this bands history 

Edited by Appetitefordiscussion