"The General" is officially delayed... but "The General" AND "Monsters" is (unofficially) out of the bag

5 minutes ago, Amir said:

Loved his Prostitute and TWAT solos in Paris:

Slash’s TWAT solo here is excellent. Respects the “main” licks and then adds his own flavor to the rest.

Meanwhile, for all those saying Slash is just coasting and doesn’t give a shit and you can’t recognize the solos…check out Axl’s performance here and get back to me. Horrific.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Rovim said:

you're like Slash's lawyer sometimes. It seems to bother you that not everyone on the internet respects Slash. You and a few others. I think the issue is not that you chose to react, it's that the reason for your reaction is kinda childish. I don't mean to be a dick about it, just sharing my view on how I see it.

like you're trying to balance the scales cause sometimes people talk shit about Slash, you didn't pass the chance to talk shit about Robin. Surely you see that that's kinda silly.

I might be the lawer but you're like a police officer around the forum. I already explained my reasons and I really don't care how you see it or if you get it. If you start to read my posts carefully we can talk. Otherwise I got better things to do.

Just now, Free Bird said:

I might be the lawer but you're like a police officer around the forum. I already explained my reasons and I really don't care how you see it or if you get it. If you start to read my posts carefully we can talk. Otherwise I got better things to do.

and I've explained why your reasons are silly imo. Slash doesn't need you to protect him on the internet, but whatever. It was just an observation, not going to argue about this. Feel free to post another cool Robin clip.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Rovim said:

and I've explained why your reasons are silly imo. Slash doesn't need you to protect him on the internet, but whatever. It was just an observation, not going to argue about this. Feel free to post another cool Robin clip.

:facepalm:

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, GoodOlJohnnyK said:

Slash’s TWAT solo here is excellent. Respects the “main” licks and then adds his own flavor to the rest.

Meanwhile, for all those saying Slash is just coasting and doesn’t give a shit and you can’t recognize the solos…check out Axl’s performance here and get back to me. Horrific.

I don't think Axl was that bad on that one, I heard him worse but that's not the point here :lol:

35 minutes ago, Amir said:

This is exactly what I wanted from Slash on these songs, and I loved Finck and Bucket's takes on the SCOM and Nightrain solos respectively.

I went to London to see them this summer. Had I known The Was A Time would be played in Paris, I'd have travelled just that little tiny bit further.

So close!

I also still can't understand why people want or expect Slash to sound or play like anybody but Slash!

Remember the 20+ years he wasn't in the band and people wanted him back...

Edited by DoMw94
  • GNFNR 1

1 hour ago, Amir said:

This is exactly what I wanted from Slash on these songs, and I loved Finck and Bucket's takes on the SCOM and Nightrain solos respectively.

That’s great, thanks for the suggestions. I’m all for Slash doing the CD solos justice.

I’ll listen to them later since there is an IEM recording of this show ;) 

1 hour ago, GoodOlJohnnyK said:

The General with Slash could be the 21st century’s Kashmir, and people would still find a way to criticize it.

In reality, these tunes will end up like The Snyder Cut of Justice League. They’ll release The General in October, the usual suspects will scream “release the NuGuns version!” And then a few years later the NuGuns version will leak and people will go “huh…so it’s just a different version of the same mediocre movie.”

Hey, I liked the Snyder cut!😆

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, jacdaniel said:

You have to remember that this forum is very pro Nu Guns and those strange views are quite common around here but don't hold any weight outside of this forum. 

Most people outside of here would laugh if you told them you wanted to hear Guns N Roses without Slash. 

Is it very pro Nu Guns? I'm always seeing people asking to the band to stop playing CD tunes. Also there's a lot of harsh criticism towards the CD songs, with a lot still complaining about it being a Guns N' Roses album.

For me, the weight outside of this forum is irrelevant. We're called hardcore fans for a reason. But I think there's always more people voicing their opinions when they dislike something, and that's what's currently going on here. IMO, to release a song without Slash would devaluate it greatly, but I still prefer the original Robin solo in Perhaps. The best case scenario - and most realistic - to me is to release it with Slash and then have the 2006 leak with Bucket and Robin for The General.

3 hours ago, rumandraisin said:

There's still endless versions that could leak. We could have a locker style set of discs from any year prior or post 2001. 

Then there's songs they might have dropped by the 2001 discs we have. 

My holy grail would be a Village level type of leak but with 2002-2005 material (pre Bumblefoot) recordings. 

So, the Roy Thomas baker sessions more or less. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jacdaniel said:

Most people outside of here would laugh if you told them you wanted to hear Guns N Roses without Slash. 

I bet most of those people would assume they are hearing Slash playing on the studio releases of Street Of Dreams, Chinese Democracy, This I Love, etc.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, DoMw94 said:

I went to London to see them this summer. Had I known The Was A Time would be played in Paris, I'd have travelled just that little tiny bit further.

So close!

I also still can't understand why people want or expect Slash to sound or play like anybody but Slash!

Remember the 20+ years he wasn't in the band and people wanted him back...

When I saw bucket, finck etc ..I was happy with that band, the talent was unreal , shame they had absolutely no management or direction back then, London and Leeds 2002 with bucket just rocked

• Like 2
  • GNFNR 1

38 minutes ago, Sweersa said:

I bet most of those people would assume they are hearing Slash playing on the studio releases of Street Of Dreams, Chinese Democracy, This I Love, etc.

CD wasn't very popular so they might not have heard those songs but if they did you can easily tell it's not Slash. 

Most people just want Slash in Guns, that's why the band is doing well again.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Amir said:

I'll never forgive myself for not going :facepalm:

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, Amir said:

There was a time and Chi Dem are definitely the 2 songs slash excels on. Everything else has been anythign from noodling to unlistenable, but those 2 he seems to dig and either stay close ish to the original or actually play a good solo over them

• GNFNR 1

10 hours ago, Lies They Tell said:

We know for sure that there is an orchestral underlayer in the song that sounds similar as the orchestral part that we've heard before.

The orchestral underlayer can be heard in the GNR after party cellphone clip that leaked at some point.

We have no idea how the song is going to start. The General might have an intro or it might not have an intro. We simply have no clue. We only know that there is an orchestral underlayer in the song.

That's brilliant, thanks for explaining that. I'm gonna down load it and listen to it heaps in preparation for release, but cautious about getting myself over hyped and let down. 

Edited by jimisbatman

I think Slash overall is doing just fine post-2016.  Can he shred it up at times? Sure but you know what, when you are seeing GNR live he is just as much the star of the show and the big screens as Axl, if not more at times.  People like him there and hearing his way of playing

And I have long since thought the hate on his TWAT and TIL live renditions have been long overblown.  I love Bucket and Fink's solos on those tunes respectively but at least when I saw Guns live, Slash sounded fine on both and even on TWAT took some of Bucket's melodic lines and used them

Like his Perhaps solo or not, the fact it is double tracked to me shows thought went into it.  I personally like that it is a slowed down, more textural showing rather than a shred fest and have always said on here the double tracked bends reminds me of how George Harrison played lead lines on later Beatles albums. 

So (all things considered) I have no worries about him on The General

Edited by WhazUp
  • Like 3