"The General" is officially delayed... but "The General" AND "Monsters" is (unofficially) out of the bag

Just now, downzy said:

Going to be some happy European Guns fans waking up in the next couple of hours or so. 

I'm already up!!! Checked the phone in the bed, came to work, opened the browser, wrote something like "still nothing, huh", and after about 4 minutes, BAM, the video! 

That was fucking great! So much better sounding than the demo version. Also what a surprise was to see the Single vinyl white The General! Had to put the order in line 🔥

Edited by Hellow

It’s such a weird feeling.

The General and the locker leaks means we’ll have almost all of the rumored titles we’ve been talking about since 2008 and beyond. Even if a lot dont have vocals, we at least know how they sound. The only notable one we don’t know much about is Seven

• Like 3

From Spotify spotting, to the setlist screenshot surveying, to snooping on the soundchecks, to the Perhaps linkfire being discovered, then pulled and delayed, to the Touchtunes discovery and the pulling of that, to the official release of Perhaps with a music video, and now The General is announced via a merch page, this has been such a rollercoaster! I wonder if any more rollercoaster things will happen on the way to The General being released, or if it will be a smooth ride from now on.

Edited by BucketEgg
and the soundchecks too
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, jamillos said:

Yeah but think about it: they released Silkworms first and HS second. Quality and style wise, it should have been the other way round. So, logically, you'd be obviously right, but in the GNR world, this doesn't have to mean anything. 
Nah, I'm an optimist. I now believe even more. They'll take care by us etc. 

maybe The General was put on the second side to finish with something more epic than Perhaps with release order.

Edited by BucketEgg
  • Like 1

Just now, ZoSoRose said:

It’s such a weird feeling.

The General and the locker leaks means we’ll have almost all of the rumored titles we’ve been talking about since 2008 and beyond. Even if a lot dont have vocals, we at least know how they sound. The only notable one we don’t know much about is Seven

Hey, you forgot Beta's Barn! 

I'd also add Soul Monster.

2 minutes ago, downzy said:

Not trying to kill the mood, but let’s not expect too much if it’s selected as the B-side to Perhaps. 

Yeah, I truly am curious to see how good the song actually is. After all the years of anticipation, it is impossible to live up to the hype, but In curious if it is legitimately good. I like Hard Skool and Perhaps, but they aren’t revolutionary. I can even see why they weren’t on Chinese. Absurd is a mess because of its lyrics and repetition (although I like it in a masochistic way). All these songs feel like what they are to me, Chinese leftovers. That isn’t necessarily a bad thing, but I wonder if The General can rise above that. If not, I think it will have been no wonder that we never got CD2

Either way, I’m thrilled as a GNR fan tonight. I’m pumped to see them Monday

1 minute ago, SoulMonster said:

Hey, you forgot Beta's Barn! 

I'd also add Soul Monster.

I’m counting Soul Monster as heard since I bet Me and My Elvis is that track (obviously not complete though!)

Hopefully that is in the next batch since Axl said he did vocals. I’d rather have something “new” than Atlas

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, downzy said:

Not trying to kill the mood, but let’s not expect too much if it’s selected as the B-side to Perhaps. 

I don't buy into the reasoning that The General must be in any way inferior to Perhaps just because it was selected to be on the "R" side. I think it's simply not that commercial sounding and not a good candidate for a single, take Coma for example, which is one of GNRs best songs, but could you imagine it ever being an A-side? Don't think so.

Also it's rumoured the lyrics are about child abuse which if true makes it even more unsuitable.

Edited by StrangerInThisTown
  • Like 4

5 minutes ago, downzy said:

Well they are trying to promote the Perhaps single that was literally just released so it makes sense for them to push it that way

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, pbj_jam said:

Nø way, feels like 08 all over again. Obviously this' the final depth of the iceberg

For sure, it is truly incredible how much mileage Axl has gotten out of those 1999-2001 recording sessions! 

1 hour ago, Coma16 said:

I love that they didn't change the name of the song. 

I named a song “The General” for my band because I always thought it was a cool name. That one’s on streaming but won’t be nearly as good as the GNR one :lol:

• Like 1

Holy shit. Any wprd if they’ll upload it to YouTube prior?  End of October seems a long wait for a physical copy considering the main track is already released.

im gonna make the big call that I think it’s an untouched version from the CD sessions. Hence why it’s only being pushed as a b side.