New Richard interview discussing new music

14 hours ago, vloors said:

Who would have been nugnr though.

Bumble left ashba left tommy left.....

It may have been retirement for Axl but yea plans changed

Ashba would still be in the band, he left only when it was clear that Slash was returning to the band.

Maybe they would go back to 2 guitarists, Ashba and Fortus, and a new bassist. Imagine that. :lol:

Edited by We love Axl Rose
  • Haha 2

16 hours ago, TheGeneral said:

Read my lips, although you can't: there will be no such thing as "new GNR music."

If that really was the plan all along, why wait 5 years after the reunion to get rid of those songs? Why not use the momentum? They did literally nothing for 5 years in terms of new songs and now they suddenly remembered to throw out the CD stuff so they can work on new music? Give me a break.

I'm thankful for every new release, be it CD or new stuff - but I just don't see it happening.

Why don't you see it happening? Look at what's going on now, 3 previously unreleased songs by now with a 4th coming. Everything indicates that the words spoken by Richard are true. I think they just didn't have a plan before, but do now.

• Like 2

I, like many others, are wondering how many songs they have left in the can that they intend to release with this lineup. It's clear they had at least an additional full album (CD2) ready by the time the 2008 album came out, and certainly by 2014 since Axl said the second part of CD had been done for a while, he also mentioned the remix album, so he wasn't just talking about that.

So, if they only put out half a dozen or less tracks, what is to become of the rest of the material? I highly doubt they would discard half of an album. After The General, let's assume they put out 2-4 more tracks, call it Atlas, State Of Grace, and a re-worked Oh My God, that still leaves Soul Monster, Berlin/Oklahoma, Zodiac 13, Thyme, Cuban Skies, Seven, and I'm sure others. 

It will be interesting to see how it pans out. 

8 hours ago, jacdaniel said:

That's what Slash and Richard have both said.  If they were just going to rework more old songs then I'm sure they would stick to the line of "plenty of material there to work on"

I struggle to see Axl do new music myself but he does appear to be happier these days. 

I also think that Slash is probably eager to do his own stuff. 

Slash has said that's what he hopes will happen. Richard is likely just regurgitating Slash's comments.

I just can’t see Axl committing to hunkering down to hammer out a legitimately “new” record in a timely manner at this point in his life. It almost goes against everything we’ve witnessed over the last 25 years. I just don’t see it, but I suppose stranger things have happened in human history. 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, vloors said:

Who would have been nugnr though.

Bumble left ashba left tommy left.....

It may have been retirement for Axl but yea plans changed

Probably Axl, Duff (he was already back in the fold as cover for Tommy), Dizzy, Chris, Richard, Frank, and DJ Ashba

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sweersa said:

I, like many others, are wondering how many songs they have left in the can that they intend to release with this lineup. It's clear they had at least an additional full album (CD2) ready by the time the 2008 album came out, and certainly by 2014 since Axl said the second part of CD had been done for a while, he also mentioned the remix album, so he wasn't just talking about that.

So, if they only put out half a dozen or less tracks, what is to become of the rest of the material? I highly doubt they would discard half of an album. After The General, let's assume they put out 2-4 more tracks, call it Atlas, State Of Grace, and a re-worked Oh My God, that still leaves Soul Monster, Berlin/Oklahoma, Zodiac 13, Thyme, Cuban Skies, Seven, and I'm sure others. 

Not every song that’s worked on has to be released. A lot of bands work on 20+ songs for an album and then cut it down 12-14 for the actual release. Then those  additional songs are shelved and sit around collecting dust. In GNR’s case they’re releasing a few reworked to as Richard said, “prime the pumps” for new music from this current group. Maybe a few of those would make a new album or they’d probably eventually make a CD anniversary album or box set assuming they’re close to finished as is. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, TrixAreForKids said:

Majority of people see these unreleased songs as “new” music. I think there is a bunch of interesting songs from the locker room sessions that would sound cool with lyrics. Looks like we are going to get everything from those sessions eventually.

everything? what makes you say that? cause I feel like we're still in the dark when it comes to how much more tunes we'll get from the Chinese sessions. We don't even know how many tunes Slash and Duff worked on exactly, if Axl wants them to rework more or it's something different like saving some Chinese tunes for a hybrid album, or just releasing 4 to 6 Chinese tunes and record a full brand new album or nothing at all after The General, although I think we'll get more, but my point is that no one in the Gn'R camp is talking in detail about what they are planning for the future, if there is a plan.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Rovim said:

everything? what makes you say that? cause I feel like we're still in the dark when it comes to how much more tunes we'll get from the Chinese sessions. We don't even know how many tunes Slash and Duff worked on exactly, if Axl wants them to rework more or it's something different like saving some Chinese tunes for a hybrid album, or just releasing 4 to 6 Chinese tunes and record a full brand new album or nothing at all after The General, although I think we'll get more, but my point is that no one in the Gn'R camp is talking in detail about what they are planning for the future, if there is a plan.

True...hybrid would be a good compromise for Ax! They should discuss - Ok man, we take 6 other previously finished vocals🎤 and Perhaps went down well, so we'll work this up too....(if not already done) and then Ax, all we need is 5 or so new songs with me and Duff....D will take one for the team too, with So Fine 2!

I mean he's just put down new vocals on another album,  it's the kinda not ideal but if we want an LP, it may just happen a bit like this....

As long as it's decent and mixed well, I think that would be about as much as we can hope for! Better than nothing....eh

1 hour ago, colonizedmind said:

True...hybrid would be a good compromise for Ax! They should discuss - Ok man, we take 6 other previously finished vocals🎤 and Perhaps went down well, so we'll work this up too....(if not already done) and then Ax, all we need is 5 or so new songs with me and Duff....D will take one for the team too, with So Fine 2!

I mean he's just put down new vocals on another album,  it's the kinda not ideal but if we want an LP, it may just happen a bit like this....

As long as it's decent and mixed well, I think that would be about as much as we can hope for! Better than nothing....eh

If all the tracks from the CD2 vault are not released this year this would be the most logical way forward. Even 6 CD2 tracks and 4 all new tracks could be doable. Axl could probably bang out vocals for 4 new tracks in a week. 

5 hours ago, Sweersa said:

We more or less know how it's going to pan out. They reworked a few songs. Probably The General, Atlas and SOG might come out at some point . 

Everything else will be shelved and they will work on new stuff. 

20 hours ago, Blackstar said:

Yes, I'm sure that what he means - and generally what they mean when they say they don't have a setlist. There was an IEM recording from last year where you can hear Axl calling the songs, although they obviously had a setlist.

They always had a written setlist, even in the 90s, which they were using just as a loose guide.

Which show?

On 9/6/2023 at 5:20 PM, Sosso said:

Axl would have continued NuGN'R afterwards

No way that Axl was ever planning to go from playing stadiums (50K people) with Slash, to playing theaters (10K people) and Las Vegas residencies (4,500 people). He would have had to find three new band members and no musician worth a damn would join NuGuns in 2016. There's no way NuGuns would have ever continued after Coachella and the warm up shows. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Nick85 said:

I just can’t see Axl committing to hunkering down to hammer out a legitimately “new” record in a timely manner at this point in his life. It almost goes against everything we’ve witnessed over the last 25 years. I just don’t see it, but I suppose stranger things have happened in human history. 

Not in this lifetime, you say?

Axl can be unpredictable. There were talks in 1996 of doing a quick and dirty AFD style album, which Axl supported. The Looney Tunes song was out of the blue and featured brand new vocals, recorded under a corporate production schedule, meaning Axl did not have time to dick around.

Slash is always writing, so it's not like Axl even has to bring his own song ideas, he can just provide lyrics if he wants to. Dizzy could surely write some piano ballads for him. And the thing about writing is that once you get the ball rolling, it picks up momentum. Like he said with the outro of Coma, once you get in that mindspace, it just starts flowing out.

Edited by evilfacelessturtle