Do we all want a 2016 live blu ray?

I think people underestimate how much it takes to film such a thing.

Nearly all concerts by modern artists are filmed, but never professionally. It's mostly the feed that then goes up on the big screen. That's also where the NITL selects come from and it's honestly not as enjoyable to watch for 2 - 3 hours.

To really record a whole concert movie, that's a completely different thing. You have to get a different crew, different cameras, different angles - and I doubt they did that in 2016.

Edited by TheGeneral
  • Like 2

51 minutes ago, TheGeneral said:

Nearly all concerts by modern artists are filmed, but never professionally. It's mostly the feed that then goes up on the big screen. That's also where the NITL selects come from and it's honestly not as enjoyable to watch for 2 - 3 hours.

To really record a whole concert movie, that's a completely different thing. You have to get a different crew, different cameras, different angles - and I doubt they did that in 2016.

They did. Dodgers stadium in Detroit, if I remember correctly.

On 9/21/2023 at 7:43 PM, Axl_morris said:

GNR cheaped out on the camera equipment or something for Dodger stadium and fell out with the filming company. I'm not even sure they filmed it in the end, and if they did they done it with the wrong type of camera

I think the NITL selects are the best we'll get

On 9/22/2023 at 3:20 AM, colonizedmind said:

That sounds like a bit of a random story? How so?

Iirc, the falling out was with the crew that filmed The Troubadour and Dodger Stadium was filmed by a different crew.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nick85 said:

The 2023 setlist really distilled all the best things about GNR’s catalogue IMO, not to mention it’s the best Axl’s looked in recent years. I’d much rather have a 4K Blu-ray of one of these shows.

Well we have 4K Glasto....

But yea, I'd be all in for a selects (beef up the Rez - use AI if you have to. The Prince estate just did!) '16-'23 with a big 30-40 song selection of the different cuts that developed throughout the reunion. I mean, If they really wanted fans to feel heard and bonded with the project. Let them vote on online polls for which cuts to include. They've been doing quite a bit of old live audio of late since UYI boxsets etc. So I'm sure they could to do some vinyl/CD/DL of the current tour. You're crazy and Don't Cry sounded really good....what a decent mix can do, as oppose to SB! 

Edited by colonizedmind
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, TheGeneral said:

They had at least 2 shows professionally recorded - the Troubadour and Dodgers Stadium. There may have been one other NA 2016 show that was professionally filmed that I'm forgetting.

SCOM is all we've seen from the Troubadour recording:

I think little bits of the Dodgers Stadium show ended up in the pinball machine, along with screen footage of 15-20 other shows.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Gordon Comstock said:

They had at least 2 shows professionally recorded - the Troubadour and Dodgers Stadium. There may have been one other NA 2016 show that was professionally filmed that I'm forgetting.

SCOM is all we've seen from the Troubadour recording:

I think little bits of the Dodgers Stadium show ended up in the pinball machine, along with screen footage of 15-20 other shows.

If they used some of the footage for the pinball machine then that at least gives some kinda hope that it may see the light of day at somepoint (this means they must have the footage and it’s not like the film crew retained it due to the disagreement).

If they really are going on hiatus at the end of this run for a while (to hopefully work on that new material) then a release while they are off the road would be a good stop-gap.

Summer/Autumn 2016 was peak reunion - as vocally Axl was on fire and the band was running on adrenaline and that energy of the reunion.

There is no downside to a potential 2016 gig release.

Edited by DTJ80

20 hours ago, BangoSkank said:

Serious question: Do people still buy concert blu-rays? 

The only one I ever bought was the blu ray & CD release of Appetite For Democracy, and I never even opened it :lol:

I'm sure there's a niche market for concert blu rays, like there's a niche market for cassettes, but any live release I've wanted to watch has been available for free online so obviously I'll go with that option. That said, I'm definitely not the target audience for this type of release, I have a PS3 that plays blu rays, but I honestly can't remember the last time I even used my TV, nevermind watched a blu ray on it...

• Like 1

On 9/23/2023 at 4:22 PM, DTJ80 said:

If they used some of the footage for the pinball machine then that at least gives some kinda hope that it may see the light of day at somepoint (this means they must have the footage and it’s not like the film crew retained it due to the disagreement).

If they really are going on hiatus at the end of this run for a while (to hopefully work on that new material) then a release while they are off the road would be a good stop-gap.

Summer/Autumn 2016 was peak reunion - as vocally Axl was on fire and the band was running on adrenaline and that energy of the reunion.

There is no downside to a potential 2016 gig release.

I could see them releasing another 1-2 selects plus some random live songs while Slash and Duff are doing solo stuff next year, but I don't expect a live release. I think there was issues with both shows, basically they fucked over the company that recorded the Troubadour show and went with the cheapest option for Dodger stadium, so a lot of the shots are from drones flying above the stadium.

I'd probably watch a 2016 blu ray once then add some songs to my live GNR playlist, then rarely listen to the full show again.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Gordon Comstock said:

The only one I ever bought was the blu ray & CD release of Appetite For Democracy, and I never even opened it :lol:

I'm sure there's a niche market for concert blu rays, like there's a niche market for cassettes, but any live release I've wanted to watch has been available for free online so obviously I'll go with that option. That said, I'm definitely not the target audience for this type of release, I have a PS3 that plays blu rays, but I honestly can't remember the last time I even used my TV, nevermind watched a blu ray on it...

Exactly - some people for sure buy them but I have to think the market for this kind of thing has seriously diminished compared to what it was even 10 years ago. Admittedly, I haven't looked at the numbers so I could be wrong, but I just know I'd for sure be the target market for this and I'd have minimal interest in getting it if it's available to stream somewhere. 

Also, and this is the cold truth, but I do not want an official release from them if Axl has anything resembling the Mickey voice. I personally don't mind it, but the general public is always savage towards him and I'd just rather not see one of my favorite musicians go through that yet again. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, BangoSkank said:

Also, and this is the cold truth, but I do not want an official release from them if Axl has anything resembling the Mickey voice. I personally don't mind it, but the general public is always savage towards him and I'd just rather not see one of my favorite musicians go through that yet again. 

I get what you're saying here, but my guess is that Axl can take care of himself, I don't know him, and we don't have enough officially released pro shot footage of live Gn'R shows.

you're basically saying here that you'd rather sarifice a product you want from a band you are a hardcore fan of just so that the image/reputation of the singer of the band won't be damaged by negative opinions of people you also don't know. Not judging btw, just that I believe the priority should be what are we getting from Gn'R as fans if the only downside is that some people could mock Axl's singing ability/style.

1 hour ago, Rovim said:

I get what you're saying here, but my guess is that Axl can take care of himself, I don't know him, and we don't have enough officially released pro shot footage of live Gn'R shows.

you're basically saying here that you'd rather sarifice a product you want from a band you are a hardcore fan of just so that the image/reputation of the singer of the band won't be damaged by negative opinions of people you also don't know. Not judging btw, just that I believe the priority should be what are we getting from Gn'R as fans if the only downside is that some people could mock Axl's singing ability/style.

Yeah, I see what you're saying and you are right. Ultimately I'd rather have something from one of my favorite bands than nothing. And I'd rather them be producing material than not.

I think I just have a lot of "what might have been feelings" about GNR and this would be another. 

What if Bucket just stayed? 

What if Axl just called NuGNR something different? 

What if Axl actually rehearsed with the band?

What if he could still sing with vicious rasp? People would see how great he still is.

[Shrug]

3 minutes ago, BangoSkank said:

Yeah, I see what you're saying and you are right. Ultimately I'd rather have something from one of my favorite bands than nothing. And I'd rather them be producing material than not.

I think I just have a lot of "what might have been feelings" about GNR and this would be another. 

What if Bucket just stayed? 

What if Axl just called NuGNR something different? 

What if Axl actually rehearsed with the band?

What if he could still sing with vicious rasp? People would see how great he still is.

[Shrug]

all interesting questions that I would like to know the answers to as well. I think there was a lot of talent in old Guns and a lot of talent in new Guns with Bucket.

my guess is that Bucket was never going to stay in Gn'R anyway. The way I look at it is that for me, as a Gn'R and a Bucket fan, I'm just glad he joined Axl's band and some of his work was released. I also think Slash belongs in Gn'R.

some of it is really the question of "what if Axl was less like himself and more like other people?" or more in control maybe. I don't think the music would have been possible anyway if Axl was a well adjusted human being back then. The chaotic nature of this band seems to have fueled a lot of the greatness and that includes all classic band members imo.

2 hours ago, Rovim said:

all interesting questions that I would like to know the answers to as well. I think there was a lot of talent in old Guns and a lot of talent in new Guns with Bucket.

my guess is that Bucket was never going to stay in Gn'R anyway. The way I look at it is that for me, as a Gn'R and a Bucket fan, I'm just glad he joined Axl's band and some of his work was released. I also think Slash belongs in Gn'R.

some of it is really the question of "what if Axl was less like himself and more like other people?" or more in control maybe. I don't think the music would have been possible anyway if Axl was a well adjusted human being back then. The chaotic nature of this band seems to have fueled a lot of the greatness and that includes all classic band members imo.

Never considered that Bucket was always destined to leave, but it does make sense. Even if GNR had been more productive it's hard to see them doing it to the degree that it would satisfy him. 

And it's definitely a question of control, because I still want him to be himself, but the highest and best possible version. Tough to see it spiral out in '02, '11, and elsewhere. I have to wonder if maybe the music would have been better? The chaos may have helped, but only for a bit before hurting things.

And those spirals I mentioned above are why I'd find a blu ray release a bit frustrating because (as others have pointed out on this board) GNR has a knack for somehow really blowing it for majorly when the general public is watching: RiR '11, Bridge School, Golden Gods awards, Glastonbury (to a degree), and a blu ray with him sounding like this would kind of be another example of this.

I don't know, you are right in that it's me caring more about other's opinions of him, and I do want them to release stuff regardless.

It would just be a bit underwhelming, I guess?  

Edited by BangoSkank

11 minutes ago, BangoSkank said:

Never considered that Bucket was always destined to leave, but it does make sense. Even if GNR had been more productive it's hard to see them doing it to the degree that it would satisfy him. 

And it's definitely a question of control, because I still want him to be himself, but the highest and best possible version. Tough to see it spiral out in '02, '11, and elsewhere. I have to wonder if maybe the music would have been better? The chaos may have helped, but only for a bit before hurting things.

And those spirals I mentioned above are why I'd find a blu ray release a bit frustrating because (as others have pointed out on this board) GNR has a knack for somehow really blowing it for majorly when the general public is watching: RiR '11, Bridge School, Golden Gods awards, Glastonbury (to a degree), and a blu ray with him sounding like this would kind of be another example of this.

I don't know, you are right in that it's me caring more about other's opinions of him, and I do want them to release stuff regardless.

It would just be a bit underwhelming, I guess?  

2016 had its fair share of very good to great live performances so I think it could be a quality release, but Gn'R is an older band now, so I wouldn't expect them to ever match the quality of live performances from 10, 20, or 30 years ago.

time has finally caught up with Axl as a singer in the last couple of years it seems, but I still want as much music related products from Gn'R as possible.