THE GENERAL - MONSTERS - Official Discussion Thread. NO LINKS OR ASKING FOR LINKS

15 minutes ago, DK6 said:

I'm quite shocked that so many people seem to prefer monsters.

For me it only works as a follow on to the general.

I love the general but find monsters a bit repetitive after a while.

Really like it but mainly as a whole song combined.

Monsters could be half as long and I'd be happy.

I prefer Monsters due to its low vocals and the bridge rasp. However, I agree that it works better as a follow up to The General. Listening to both of them together is better than either of them individually. This is clearly as it was intended, since it is basically one overarching song and they complement each other.

Edited by Live Like a Suicide
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Jakey Styley said:

Do we know anything about the history of Monsters?

[GNR] was sort of just work for hire. [...] I met with Axl and he played me these songs, asked me my ideas about them, and I told him what I thought they needed. They gave me four songs to orchestrate. [...] A song called 'Seven,' which is the one [...] I actually wrote a guitar part [on]. There was one called 'Thyme,' one called 'The General,' one called 'Leave Me Alone.'" (Marco Beltrami, IGN, 07/20/03)

The bridge in "Elvis Presley and the Monster of Soul aka The Soul Monster (working title Leave Me Alone)" which will no doubt end up "Soul Monster".

I think it's our most Black Sabbath moment. Sang it on a Christmas eve. Imo the meanest section of anything I've sung to date. Which having said that I'm sure when it's heard others may disagree but we felt it was a Christmas card of unadulterated venom so to speak. I felt a lot better afterward. (Axl Rose , Here Today... Gone to Hell Forum, Dec. 2008)

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Slugworth said:

[GNR] was sort of just work for hire. [...] I met with Axl and he played me these songs, asked me my ideas about them, and I told him what I thought they needed. They gave me four songs to orchestrate. [...] A song called 'Seven,' which is the one [...] I actually wrote a guitar part [on]. There was one called 'Thyme,' one called 'The General,' one called 'Leave Me Alone.'" (Marco Beltrami, IGN, 07/20/03)

The bridge in "Elvis Presley and the Monster of Soul aka The Soul Monster (working title Leave Me Alone)" which will no doubt end up "Soul Monster".

I think it's our most Black Sabbath moment. Sang it on a Christmas eve. Imo the meanest section of anything I've sung to date. Which having said that I'm sure when it's heard others may disagree but we felt it was a Christmas card of unadulterated venom so to speak. I felt a lot better afterward. (Axl Rose , Here Today... Gone to Hell Forum, Dec. 2008)

Anyone doubting Monsters is Soul Monster just listen to that bridge. 

• Like 3

Chills

The General is basically every bit as good as I hoped. I did expect a killer solo though.

I never doubt Axl's songwriting. Even the dumb shit he writes like Eye on You is good to me.

I think I might try to put these away until December. The mix/quality on Monsters is pretty rough to me,

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Jakey Styley said:

Chills

The General is basically every bit as good as I hoped. I did expect a killer solo though.

I never doubt Axl's songwriting. Even the dumb shit he writes like Eye on You is good to me.

I think I might try to put these away until December. The mix/quality on Monsters is pretty rough to me,

The solo at the end is pretty cool

• Like 1