THE GENERAL - MONSTERS - Official Discussion Thread. NO LINKS OR ASKING FOR LINKS

Drums are something for sure.

Both chorus' build and create a nice contrast, like one ends on a low/atonal note and the other on high, unsurprisingly few things popping up that need attention, slash all over M. Will be interesting if they have a transition on release or a simple fade

I hope whatever happens that at some point there is a large version of CD as an anniversary release with different versions released.  I like hearing the differences in approach.  It would also be cool if AXL wrote a small book story about that era in the band and his dealings with it all. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Jakey Styley said:

One thing I'll say - assuming these were ripped from a vinyl - they sound fairly far from being complete, like so far that it's surprising they were ever placed on a vinyl?

Some of our members had issues with the Perhaps leak too, but it ended up sounding pretty great on release. I would expect the mix of The General/Monsters to sound much clearer and polished on release... hopefully it is digitally released too.

2 minutes ago, DefinitelyInThisLifetime said:

Painfully average. You all hyped it up amongst yourselves and everyone said it would be incredible and it’s just….average.

Mids & Roses.

I think the one-two punch of both compositions together, especially in terms of progression of the subject matter of both songs, are well worth the hype - personally speaking

I was taken aback by The General this morning hearing it for the first time, but many listens after it clicked for me sonically and mixing aside I think both songs are great

Edited by WhazUp
  • Like 3

Hahaha what a fucking day right? 

It had to happen. I hoped for it, it seemed impossible.

But GNR diehards without leaks are exactly the same as fish without water. Big thanks to the hero at GnrEvo. 

I fucking loved both songs! downloaded them quick and then went upstairs to the roof of the building i was at, and it rained while i first heard them. Fucking magical...

• Like 1

Monsters suffers from the same issue I have with Shackler's: it starts out dark and mean, but then goes into this happy, upbeat section that doesn't fit at all.

4 minutes ago, GNR 1991 said:

Has anyone done A/B comparison with the cell phone clip? The guitars gotta be different if this is Slash. Or is it?

listening to cell clip now I can very clearly hear “I was there for you/it’s all I could do/oh but it’s over now” lol

I can't find the cellphone clip anywhere.

Edited by evilfacelessturtle

1 hour ago, Arnuld said:

Could not agree more. The guitar playing on Monsters (especially the 2nd half) is very reminiscent of Slash’s best work with VR. I wish Slash had been more open to adding some modernity to GNR back in the 90s. I thought all the loops, drum machines, and synths on CD were really cool and made the sound overall very unique on that album. It’s a shame so much time was wasted but I’m so glad we are getting this now. As always I hope there is more to come. Dying to hear what Slash does with Atlas. 

Axl was trend chasing at that time, not modernizing the GNR sound. 

I am happy Slash wouldn't go down that road.

Sadly Axl never had the maturity to realize that the rest of the world in famous bands who want to do something different just start a solo project and release music that way. Then you reconvene a few years later and release a GNR album that sounds like the GNR people want to hear. 

The poor guy just seemed to stop being able to see the big picture on seemingly anything at about the same time a parasitic Brazillian  family entered his life.  Funny how things have been half assed ever since.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1