THE GENERAL - MONSTERS - Official Discussion Thread. NO LINKS OR ASKING FOR LINKS

12 minutes ago, BangoSkank said:

Just chiming in to say I love both, but especially "Monsters" - it's heavy, crazy, industrial, and exactly what I want to hear from those days of Axl recording. 

This reminds me so much of the Village leaks. It's something the band had forever, Axl was probably insecure over, and we all just fucking eat it up because it rules. 

I may be going against the grain but I do not want Slash & Duff on these or any similar material - just release them as is. 

EDIT: Read back some pages. Has it been confirmed that Slash & Duff are on these or Finck?

Assuming it's Slash on Monsters, it seems like he really found a way to gel with the material vs playing over top of it and it just feeling like a Slash copy/paste lol, kinda like how Prince's While My Guitar Gently Weeps solo is canon despite coming 40 years late and him not being a band member.

12 minutes ago, El Guapo said:

Wäh,wäh, I don't want Slash and Duff on a GUNS N' ROSES song!!! 

Fucking hell XD

They (normally) ain't as good as Robin & Bucket on this kind of material, brah.

That said, if this really is Slash on this, I am pleasantly surprised. I loved "Silkworms" but wasn't convinced his style meshed well with it. I'm vibing big on "Monsters" so if it is him, I am excited about the future.

11 minutes ago, jbhutto said:

Assuming it's Slash on Monsters, it seems like he really found a way to gel with the material vs playing over top of it and it just feeling like a Slash copy/paste lol, kinda like how Prince's While My Guitar Gently Weeps solo is canon despite coming 40 years late and him not being a band member.

100% - if it actually is him I am psyched.

Edited by BangoSkank
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

14 minutes ago, jbhutto said:

I love that version, but the OG Clapton one is great too

I'm going throw my two cents in after a few listens, I'm loving the General. Its my fave of the two but I get why a lot of people aren't feeling that one. I think its one of those songs that just hit different if you've been on the receiving end of what the song is about so I really appreciate it personally. Monsters I can see getting decent radio play if it gets promoted right, I absolutely love the vocals, that's probably some of my fave I've heard. I'm just excited to be here during one of the active phases, I missed out on everything else so I'm just taking it all as it comes. I also appreciate Slash and Duff, I know everyone argues over money and this and that, but I'm just glad they're back and I feel like Slash is a big reason why stuff is even being released now 

• ABSUЯD 1

13 minutes ago, ZoSoRose said:

I love that version, but the OG Clapton one is great too

I almost wanted to write "you dumbass, its a Beatles song"  😂 ... but then googled it and learned that Clapton does the lead guitar (umcredited). So, thank you for your post! Love that song.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Old_school_gnr_fan said:

I’m not finding much to like about The General, either. It just sounds noisy. I could never stand that industrial rock from the late 90’s/early 2000’s. Why Axl is still trying to make it work in 2023 is a question that only he could probably answer.

I sure hope after all these Chinese Democracy era songs are done with, they get back to the AFD sound that made them overnight sensations all those years ago.

Why go EVEN further backwards.....after these time to move forwards I think ....no more looking back! 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Miden34 said:

i just dont understand how it is still on youtube

It came off initially by Universal takedown BUT since has been mysteriously left up....very strange since no current trace of Atlas, etc is on YT and get taken down quickly...

IF this was an elaborate hoax of a very talented AI producer, we'd probably never live it down!  😝

19 minutes ago, davisp said:

I almost wanted to write "you dumbass, its a Beatles song"  😂 ... but then googled it and learned that Clapton does the lead guitar (umcredited). So, thank you for your post! Love that song.

IMO, the original Clapton version is the only one. I don’t really care at all for the Prince solo.

BTW, for curiosity, the song also seems to feature Lennon playing the bass instead of Paul.

• Like 1

Well, I do like both songs but can kinda see why they got a b side release.

‘The General’ has a creepy, ominous tone with deeply unsettling lyrics about child abuse. Definitely not one for the casual GNR fans and although the chorus has been getting stuck in my head a bit (and even the verse “Daddy don’t”) it’s not a song I see myself playing a lot mainly due to the dark subject matter and feel.

‘Monsters’, whilst still rather dark in tone, I guess has more potential to appeal to more casual listeners. Complete with its ‘oooh hoos’, catchy chorus and that Axl bridge with vocals that harken back to his hey day.

Slash’s solo in the middle of ‘Monsters’ is inoffensive I guess, it serves its purpose and his outro solo has a bit more feeling than what he’s come up with the last few years. HOWEVER, if a version of both of these songs exists with Buckethead playing on them, you can almost guarantee whatever he played will be far superior and I for one would LOVE to hear the original mixes.

Edited by GNFNRUK
  • Like 2

well now we know because of the copyright thing they are both part of one song. monsters comes before the general in the sequence i believe. i heard the general spliced on right at the end of monsters when its doing that fade out effect and it matches perfect. 

41 minutes ago, Gordon Comstock said:

If they're gonna try to recapture the classic sound on future material, then it should be Lies, not AFD. Wichita Lineman has been one of their best live songs for years, stick Axl, Slash, Duff and Richard in a room with some acoustic guitars and you'll probably get some good songs. I'd rather hear them do a covers album of their classic rock influences (Thin Lizzy, Alice Cooper, etc) than attempt a new 10-12 song album of rockers.

That said, I hope we eventually get to hear more 'experimental' stuff like TG, Monsters, SOG, etc.

I've been saying that about Lies for ages! 

Would be amazing.

• Like 1