THE GENERAL - MONSTERS - Official Discussion Thread. NO LINKS OR ASKING FOR LINKS

4 minutes ago, prairieboy said:

Imagine having Monsters sitting around for all these years, but leaving it on the shelf to release Absurd instead?

I can't decide if it's funny or upsetting.

Yes this is true. All part of a grand plan I hope 🤣

6 minutes ago, Walapino said:

The General now makes GNR appear as top artist in the search button (im in Peru). This hadnt happen before, fingers crossed for the digital release soon!

Or we still caring and putting credence to any of that shit? Lots of people will be searching the same stuff on their, the algorithm will learn the searches and when it's hot from time to time (like now) it'll produce those results. Otherwise, never come true has it....

3 minutes ago, Cosmo said:

And he also recorded his two concert solo songs, Mi Amor and Ballad of Death.

....And 12 full songs which Axl A&R'd with apart zero interest....guessing they became Sixx Am songs on their last record 

6 minutes ago, WhazUp said:

Take Slash's sound when he is shredding there at 5:04, add a few more runs and a wah pedal and there is the sound of The General's outro lead

Still Slash's best full song guitar wise in the last twenty years...but specifically the live 9 minute version. How do you mute Myles? (Haha he was fine when I saw Slash live in 2014 but still...)

If this was a Guns song or if he could create something on this level on the "new" album, we would be delighted! He's gotta have some cool riffs saved in his backpocket these last 7 years, surely....if he's on a new Guns album from scratch, surely we expect him to suitably rise to the occasion, especially in studio when he can do lots of takes! 

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Free Bird said:

:lol:

I'm waiting for the day when it's confirmed that Slash plays the leads how some of these people will pretend that Slash's parts are weak and how much better Buckets work would be. Basically the same people that don't wanna believe that it's Slash on TG outro. :lol::lol::lol:

I thought it was Bucket maybe but I’d be stoked if that was the final Slash solo on it! Y’all know I love Slash

55 minutes ago, kanecrescente said:

They all have such a predictable, boring and lazy structure to them all. They all follow the same formula of verse, chorus, verse, chorus, solo, chorus, guitar outro, done. 

That song structure is true and true, but I agree I wish these two songs had another twist or two each. At least there are a lot of cool things going on in them and they sound great back to back

I thought Hard Skool, Perhaps, and Absurd could have used another part or two each, too.

It’s all good, though. Still plenty to enjoy. Slash’s first solo album had the verse-chorus-bridge thing on every song, too

• Like 1

After listening to monsters about 100 times I’m convinced that it’s Slash and Richard playing.

however The General sounds more like Nuguns, which is confusing, Monsters is obviously the stronger song and should have been the lead single IMO.

does anyone remember that cryptic post on on of their IG accounts of a screen with a horror type theme that they were watching a while back?

hopefully that ties in to a new music video when they do an album with monsters hopefully as the lead single.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, ZoSoRose said:

That song structure is true and true, but I agree I wish these two songs had another twist or two each. At least there are a lot of cool things going on in them and they sound great back to back

I thought Hard Skool, Perhaps, and Absurd could have used another part or two each, too.

It’s all good, though. Still plenty to enjoy. Slash’s first solo album had the verse-chorus-bridge thing on every song, too

Due to the song title The General And Monsters I still can imagine they made one song out of two, just that it fits on the 7 inch LP, and there you go, then you have your 7 - 8 min epic. 

1 hour ago, GNRmello77 said:

Okay, first Listen to the Bridge in Monsters, and then Listen to the first verse of  Nightrain live in Tokyo 2009, same pitch right there!! The exact same octave 

Yeah, it’s 100% the same singer. :lol:

1 hour ago, 22frets said:

I believe people are attributing the outro solo of The General to Buckethead, not the one in Monsters that I assume you're talking about. Monsters outro is definitely Slash first and then Fortus. I understand people attributing Fortus' part to Robin because their styles are somewhat similar but Robin's playing is more usually more expressive than this and he uses a lot of staccato to highlight certain notes. The Monsters solo sounds similar to how Fortus plays live. 

Coming to The General, one of the repeating licks in the outro solo is literally the fast repeating lick from the SCoM/Slither solos that Slash is well-known for overusing, just in a different order of notes and higher speed. 

This 100%. 
about the repeating lick, I’m struggling a bit to play it accurately. But after that there is an interesting run that’s very similar to what he’s been playing live. 

4 minutes ago, GNFNRUK said:

Yeah I’ve heard people say that, it all just sounds like Slash to me tbh but I’m happy to be proven wrong… That's if they ever officially break down who plays what.

Maybe if it’s played live. 

• Haha 2

14 minutes ago, Voodoochild said:

This 100%. 

about the repeating lick, I’m struggling a bit to play it accurately. But after that there is an interesting run that’s very similar to what he’s been playing live. 

Man, can't wait to hear your full cover if you plan on doing it! 

I was thinking of learning some of the solos but I'm in the middle of learning other stuff right now. Tried figuring out some stuff from Monsters and it seemed fairly straightforward. The solo from The General is definitely going to be a challenge lol. 

I'll probably wait for you to cover it and steal your notes. :P

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, colonizedmind said:

Yes he did....haven't you heard one of his 12 remixes of Better?

The Better mix was done by himself wasn't it?

And Ballad and Mi Amor only had a few members on, like Ron's pink panther cover. But they were recorded and produced by themselves rather than as a Gnr production/recording. 

18 minutes ago, 22frets said:

Man, can't wait to hear your full cover if you plan on doing it! 

I was thinking of learning some of the solos but I'm in the middle of learning other stuff right now. Tried figuring out some stuff from Monsters and it seemed fairly straightforward. The solo from The General is definitely going to be a challenge lol. 

I'll probably wait for you to cover it and steal your notes. :P

I think I got close, but the fast run part is a bit hard to hear clearly in the mix, even using AI to isolate the tracks. For now, I’m just recording the audio and training, maybe the final version will be easier to understand. :headbang:

1 hour ago, ZoSoRose said:

Yep and they're all too short... very un-GNR, they all feel rushed and pieced together without any soul to them. hopefully that changes with the official release.

Edited by kanecrescente

1 hour ago, kanecrescente said:

They all have such a predictable, boring and lazy structure to them all. They all follow the same formula of verse, chorus, verse, chorus, solo, chorus, guitar outro, done. 

I don't think The General, Perhaps, State of Grace, Eye On You, or Absurd stick to that formula, though in most cases it's something being left out rather than something extra being added. Eye On You doesn't have verses at all. The General doesn't either, it has three different choruses or refrains that all get reused, plus a bridge. Perhaps and State of Grace only use their chorus twice and spend most of their time on verses. Absurd had what passed for its chorus chopped out, one of the verses copy pasted to be the new chorus, and the other verse just left in there to fill space.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Flayer said:

I don't think The General, Perhaps, State of Grace, Eye On You, or Absurd stick to that formula, though in most cases it's something being left out rather than something extra being added. Eye On You doesn't have verses at all. The General doesn't either, it has three different choruses or refrains that all get reused, plus a bridge. Perhaps and State of Grace only use their chorus twice and spend most of their time on verses. Absurd had what passed for its chorus chopped out, one of the verses copy pasted to be the new chorus, and the other verse just left in there to fill space.

'Absurd! Absurd!' was literally the chorus.

Perhaps has the exact same verse and chorus over again before the solo... Hard Skool was the most passable 'GNR-esque' release and even that was short.

Edited by kanecrescente