THE GENERAL - MONSTERS - Official Discussion Thread. NO LINKS OR ASKING FOR LINKS

33 minutes ago, Lethalis said:

The songs which made GNR famous are more than 30 years old.

You can't expect the band to sound the same. Also, without Izzy on board, they will sound different anyway. Probably more like Velvet Revolver with Axl.

Izzy is what gave this band a more traditional rock feel. Even though Slash shines on blues rock, it is not necessarily what he wants to create.

Maybe people should listen to Slash his Halloween album. They might recognize him on The General afterwards :lol:

What Axl has done on The General and Monsters is not a huge departure of what Slash likes to do. Keep that in mind.

And a lot of music he has  created with Myles Kennedy is just straight up modern rock:

It's not that traditional or bluesy.

I personally don't mind however, because I have quite a broad taste in music.

If GNR never disbanded and would have kept creating music all these years, they would not sound the same as on AFD.

Yeah but Slash has released a lot of stuff over the years and every record has a different style/feel to it. I disagree that TG/Monsters is his best work since the UYI days. It's good, it's even great but I have a feeling that had he used some of his solo stuff for a gnr reunion release some people here would pee their pants. Especially speaking about the solos.

The rhythm guitar work throughout the song like intro, verses, bridge arrangement and so on, is sublime and more elaborated than when he records for himself.

What I find funny is, that many of those who have doubts it's Slash on The General outro argue that the guitar parts are to fast for Slash. Simply ignoring his previous work where he also play like this. Axl going on full pain/anger, of course Slash will compliment him with an aggressive style. As he doesn't know what a song needs.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lethalis said:

The songs which made GNR famous are more than 30 years old.

You can't expect the band to sound the same. Also, without Izzy on board, they will sound different anyway. Probably more like Velvet Revolver with Axl.

Izzy is what gave this band a more traditional rock feel. Even though Slash shines on blues rock, it is not necessarily what he wants to create.

Maybe people should listen to Slash his Halloween album. They might recognize him on The General afterwards :lol:

What Axl has done on The General and Monsters is not a huge departure of what Slash likes to do. Keep that in mind.

And a lot of music he has  created with Myles Kennedy is just straight up modern rock:

It's not that traditional or bluesy.

I personally don't mind however, because I have quite a broad taste in music.

If GNR never disbanded and would have kept creating music all these years, they would not sound the same as on AFD. Having Duff and Slash back is not some time machine that will teleport us back to those years.

Izzy could change things a bit, but he won't come back.

Not sure how you put Shadow Life instead of The Unholy which is even on the same album:lol: That one is not far off from The General in terms of disturbingness music and lyric wise.

It blows my mind that that one came out almost 10 years ago, yet The General predates it by nearly 12 years. And it's only coming out 9 years after. Lmao GNR timeline

Edited by StrangerInThisTown

4 hours ago, evilfacelessturtle said:

Man, you are gonna be so embarrassed when it officially releases.

If these are the final versions? Of course I will be

Releasing such poorly produced tracks with Axl on the megaphone for 'The General' would just be mocking the fans. The guitar parts on the cell phone recording are so much better. The full orchestra intro from 2006 as well. You barely hearing the pizzicatos in the leaks and the brass instruments disappeared. What a shame for Beltrami's work. So yeah, I will be embarrassed to get this "recording". And I won't be the only one 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Miden34 said:

so im gonna say this. i think monster is just a reworked general. i think its the only one we get on the vinyl and that the general is an old demo. i feel pretty confident about this.

How they are literally completely different songs...

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, kitstuai said:

Releasing such poorly produced tracks with Axl on the megaphone for 'The General' would just be mocking the fans. The guitar parts on the cell phone recording are so much better. The full orchestra intro from 2006 as well. You barely hearing the pizzicatos in the leaks and the brass instruments disappeared. What a shame for Beltrami's work. So yeah, I will be embarrassed to get this "recording". And I won't be the only one 

It's the only downside for me that the orchestra parts aren't more prominent 

• Like 1

I hope this is the final versions (maybe not final mix/master) and that the rawness is not taken out of the songs if this is not the final product.

I love them the way they are, the vocals in the chorus for the General could be clearer though? I love the distortion in the build-up

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kitstuai said:

Your comment is the only thing you should be embarrassed of

• Haha 1

The brass is there, it's sat behind the solo at the end very buried in the mix

4 minutes ago, El Guapo said:

Shit, wanted to listen to it again badly.

I wonder if they started working on new, new tracks already. When is that Michael Schenker album coming, btw.?

First quarter next year

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, bumcheecksmcghee said:

+1 this!

Where the hell is the spooky violin parts that sound like a scene from a Halloween slasher film??? 

The intros in 06/07 orchestra parts were the bomb

It is underneath the distorted part before chorus - you gotta listen i headphones - a much better experience :)

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, betterman said:

It is underneath the distorted part before chorus - you gotta listen i headphones - a much better experience :)

...And all this will sound much better when we have a primary source finished mix! 

Also...please get Steve Wilson or someone to do an Atmos mix! Would be cool for these....

2 minutes ago, colonizedmind said:

...And all this will sound much better when we have a primary source finished mix! 

Also...please get Steve Wilson or someone to do an Atmos mix! Would be cool for these....

An Atmos mix would be such a good idea, they can make something incredible I'm sure

3 minutes ago, JimiRose said:

I can't believe people are still questioning if its slash. christ, lets move on. It is slash. Anyone asking if it is or claiming it isn't is obviously a troll so should be ignored going forward. 5 days same shit. 

Yep. Think it's wishful thinking from people who don't like the songs. Only thing we are waiting on is how the two are or aren't linked together when officially released and a higher quality version (which I think will also improve the songs).

They're very clearly rips from a bad vinyl pressing

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, JimiRose said:

I can't believe people are still questioning if its slash. christ, lets move on. It is slash. Anyone asking if it is or claiming it isn't is obviously a troll so should be ignored going forward. 5 days same shit. 

It's Slash 100% although I don't think that these leaked versions are the final product.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, ThePreacher said:

Is it true that these are only demos? How do you know?

It's a leaked song or two & a forum of opinions...just enjoy it & hang on 5 weeks til the general is released as a B side...then you'll find out 

Tbh who gives a fuck, it's something exciting we didn't have a week ago 

• Like 1