THE GENERAL - MONSTERS - Official Discussion Thread. NO LINKS OR ASKING FOR LINKS

15 minutes ago, DannyVinyard said:

Then why is Axl's bridge from Monsters in Evaders remix of the General?

Because Evader, just like the rest of us, thought the leaked cellphone clip was from The General. He was mistaken. You can ask the man himself if you want to. It was Monsters (almost certainly Soul Monster) all along, we just thought otherwise because of the orchestra.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, CaioAKR said:

Because Evader, just like the rest of us, thought the leaked cellphone clip was from The General. He was mistaken. You can ask the man himself if you want to. It was Monsters (almost certainly Soul Monster) all along, we just thought otherwise because of the orchestra.

That's my point. Everyone thought this song was the General, because of the leak, but it turned out to be Soul Monster, now known as Monsters.

6 minutes ago, DannyVinyard said:

Then thats on you, not me.

Fans all assumed Monsters was The General. Why? @Mindray11 heard an unknown song at the party in 2010 and recorded It. It circulated and Evader made a recreation and in 2018 both leaked. FANS all assumed it was The General because of the orchestra. Now that both are out we realize the orchestra intros were 2 different songs

The General was always The General

Soul Monster is probably Monsters

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, DannyVinyard said:

That's my point. Everyone thought this song was the General, because of the leak, but it turned out to be Soul Monster, now known as Monsters.

Well, you also said, "whoever recorded the 13 second clip was under the impression that the song title was the General, which it probably was at that point." But no, there is no reason to think that Axl at any point shuffled the names around on these two songs. The General has likely always been The General, and Monsters' name has gone from Leave Me Alone to Elvis Presly and the Monster of Soul, to Soul Monster to Monsters (and maybe more intermediates).

Edited by SoulMonster
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, THELINESMAN said:

If we ever do get a proper reunion album with fresh material, I hope it's full of more happy upbeat rockers with humour in again like PTU and GITR and angry upbeat stuff like RNDTH. Lots of these Chinese leftovers seem to be mid tempo. 

You want Izzy, but Izzy's not here.

15 hours ago, THELINESMAN said:

If we ever do get a proper reunion album with fresh material, I hope it's full of more happy upbeat rockers with humour in again like PTU and GITR and angry upbeat stuff like RNDTH. Lots of these Chinese leftovers seem to be mid tempo. 

I get what you mean, and I think part of it has to do with way back when, when Axl basically admitted to pivoting in style and not making a traditional Guns record partly because of Slash's absence musically - via his interview with Kurt Loder.   I think the combination of that, and having a ton of emotions to excise in the late 90s/early 00s, it gave way to a more serious vibe

Considering Axl has brought back Pretty Tied Up, Anything Goes, Reckless Life, etc. since Slash returned I kinda have a feeling if they ever actually did write new material, there could potentially be tunes that are just fun rockers for sure

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, WhazUp said:

I get what you mean, and I think part of it has to do with way back when, when Axl basically admitted to pivoting in style and not making a traditional Guns record partly because of Slash's absence musically - via his interview with Kurt Loder.   I think the combination of that, and having a ton of emotions to excise in the late 90s/early 00s, it gave way to a more serious vibe

Considering Axl has brought back Pretty Tied Up, Anything Goes, Reckless Life, etc. since Slash returned I kinda have a feeling if they ever actually did write new material, there could potentially be tunes that are just fun rockers for sure

I hope so. I miss the style.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Illusion1987 said:

The vocal effects are the whole concept behind the song.

The  vocal are supposed to be murky because it represents a child calling out for help but nobody can hear him/her or make out what they are saying.

Those effects were deliberate 

I get that. Doesn't make it any better.

• Like 1

So I have only heard The General live version on youtube. I refrain commenting the song until I hear a good quality version of it. It's unfortunate Axl is singing it 20 years too late, with his current voice I mean...

But can anyone enlightenbme, is the song Monsters the legendary Elvis song, Soul Monster? Or is this a different monster?

• Haha 1

On 11/3/2023 at 6:12 AM, Jwalker19 said:

Thank you so much! I always get a little nervous when I promote my content on here because I don't want to annoy anyone. Your kind words mean a lot to me!

There's no point in filling an already dark and depressing world with negativity...your a big fan and your enthusiasm is infectious...keep the videos up and whoaaaa dude! It's 2023 and I think we just got The General live? Shut up!  Atlas / Monsters next? Extended EP, double Christmas dip incoming? 

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, weaponsnflowers said:

So I have only heard The General live version on youtube. I refrain commenting the song until I hear a good quality version of it. It's unfortunate Axl is singing it 20 years too late, with his current voice I mean...

But can anyone enlightenbme, is the song Monsters the legendary Elvis song, Soul Monster? Or is this a different monster?

Monsters seem to be the same song as Soul Monster (also called Elvis Presley and the Monster of Soul and Leave Me Alone). It seems to have nothing in common with My and My Elvis (except for sharing the Elvis name in an early version).

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, weaponsnflowers said:

Monsters is most likely "Soulmonster" yes. But it's not "Me and My Elvis", if that's what you're asking.

(Oh, Soulmonster answered just before me)

Edited by Lies They Tell
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

Monsters seem to be the same song as Soul Monster (also called Elvis Presley and the Monster of Soul and Leave Me Alone). It seems to have nothing in common with My and My Elvis (except for sharing the Elvis name in an early version).

Ok, thanks! Soul Monster would have been a more unique title, too. "Monsters" is kinda generic. Oh well.

46 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

Will you now have to remove the word Soul from your name?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, Blackstar said:

From the songs on CD: the vocals on Shackler's Revenge were definitely recorded after 2003 because of the subject matter of the lyrics. Also the vocals on Better, Sorry, Scraped and This I Love were recorded after 2000 for sure, most likely 2002 or later.

From the leaks: The vocals This I Love remix. Monsters/Soul Monster vocals were also most likely recorded after 2003 (Axl said he recorded them "on a Christmas Eve" and I think a forum member found that there was a studio booked at Christmas 2004 - Axl was also in the studio during the holidays in 2006).

Shackler as i remember was a new song and theast song added to CD the band tought that a fast so ng was needed.cant remember if ashba was in the band in that song but for sure was a new song