THE GENERAL - MONSTERS - Official Discussion Thread. NO LINKS OR ASKING FOR LINKS

Over under on how many more Slash / Duff leftovers we haven't heard yet....Imma be optimistic and say 3 more...don't quote me back the Trunk shit...it was vague at best...perhaps he could of put finishing touches to a couple more since then anyways, we've seen studio time since so...

So

Absurd

Hard Skool

---------------

Perhaps

The General

---------------

Monsters 

Atlas

---------------

State Of Grace 

Berlin 

Edited by colonizedmind

34 minutes ago, colonizedmind said:

Over under on how many more Slash / Duff leftovers we haven't heard yet....Imma be optimistic and say 3 more...don't quote me back the Trunk shit...it was vague at best...perhaps he could of put finishing touches to a couple more since then anyways, we've seen studio time since so...

So

Absurd

Hard Skool

---------------

Perhaps

The General

---------------

Monsters 

Atlas

---------------

State Of Grace 

Berlin 

Atlas and Monsters i would say is likely, SOG & Berlin may be a pipe dream though

The sitar sounds a lot better in the live performance than the synth used in the leak. 
The bass and the orchestral arrangements are also under mixed on the studio version. 
I really hope we got an unfinished effort and that the final cut on the vinyl will address those issues. 

I think it's safe to say that Monsters and Atlas are guaranteed to be released at one point or another (not necessarily together - I still think that The General and Monsters are tied together (not as "one song", of course) or at least were going to be released together, but the plan changed probably due to the poor quality of the vinyl pressing.

Beyond that, State of Grace is a strong contender (the fact that we haven't heard about it doesn't mean it has been abandoned). And then, if that thing they were playing at soundcheck last year was a song, it's probably another song we haven't heard before.

Edited by Blackstar
  • Like 2

I was listening to The General on the bus ride home from work and I got to thinking... I don't think this is truly the sequel to Estranged like Baz had suggested but I think he was on the money with what he originally said, that The General completes a new trilogy. 

I think Shackler's Revenge, The General, and Monsters is a trilogy of music. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

27 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

State of Grace is a strong contender (the fact that we haven't heard about it doesn't mean it has been abandoned). 

Exactly. We hadn't really heard about Perhaps either, yet it was reworked and officially released before Atlas, which on the other hand is still unreleased despite being a song that was much talked about and almost included on CD.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Axl Rose aka God said:

Exactly! 

Shackler's is the last piece 

1) Monster- the Abuser

2) The General- the Abused

3) Shackler's- I'm going on a mass shooting rampage.

Not exactly as much of a romanticized subject as Don't Cry + November Rain + Estranged

36 minutes ago, Axl Rose aka God said:

I was listening to The General on the bus ride home from work and I got to thinking... I don't think this is truly the sequel to Estranged like Baz had suggested but I think he was on the money with what he originally said, that The General completes a new trilogy. 

That wasn't exactly what Bach said, though. He said that Axl had told him that The General would be on the third album, because the lyrics related to other songs that were going to be on that third album.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Voodoochild said:

Never heard about this other tune that was combined to make Shacklers. I've always assumed the chorus was just something Caram, Axl (and maybe Robin, as he was credit if I'm not mistaken?) came up with. 

Bootsy Collins and Bucket did a song called "Shackler", and if you listen to it, it's clear where the inspiration came from lol

Edited by TiedHands

5 hours ago, rudolf1978 said:

I remember Axl Saying that the band thought the album needed a fast song. But i cant tell you when but for sure not 99 or 00... would be more 2005 or 2006. Was added to the album at the end

Not sure about a fast song, but I think there was something about a catchier tune maybe. There was some fast stuff on the Village demos too, though. Still, Axl wanted to finish Bucket demos such as Shacklers and Scraped without him. 

6 minutes ago, TiedHands said:

Bootsy Collins and Bucket did a song called "Shackler", and if you listen to it, it's clear where the inspiration came from lol

I know about it, but those were more like related songs. I was talking about the part of the studio version that wasn’t present on the demo. And remember, this song had Pete Scaturro also as composer. 

How we all feeling about the chances of “The General” dropping on streaming this coming Friday? :blink:

Also, personally, I’m thinking they’re planning a much larger holiday release (perhaps an EP?) which is why there has been no “Perhaps” CD or cassette announcement to date. 

25 minutes ago, GNRRHCP98 said:

How we all feeling about the chances of “The General” dropping on streaming this coming Friday? :blink:

Also, personally, I’m thinking they’re planning a much larger holiday release (perhaps an EP?) which is why there has been no “Perhaps” CD or cassette announcement to date. 

Eh I kinda just feel like the hard skool CD and cassette didn't sell that well so they just did the vinyl this time lol 

17 minutes ago, Bitchisback said:

Eh I kinda just feel like the hard skool CD and cassette didn't sell that well so they just did the vinyl this time lol 

That’s a fair theory… although the lack of even just a CD is still a little intriguing.

Out of the three types of physical media, the cassette is definitely the most “gimmicky” imo so I can totally understand skipping that.

Edited by GNRRHCP98

9 hours ago, Blackstar said:

I think it's safe to say that Monsters and Atlas are guaranteed to be released at one point or another (not necessarily together - I still think that The General and Monsters are tied together (not as "one song", of course) or at least were going to be released together, but the plan changed probably due to the poor quality of the vinyl pressing.

Why would we assume they take off Monsters now just because it's a poor quality vinyl? That has more to do with it just being a poor quality vinyl pressing like many other bands have experienced in the last few years, and they didn't put 9 minute songs on there. This band, when they were one of the biggest bands in the world, released a great sounding 7" vinyl with 9 minutes of November Rain on the A side. All they really need to do is find a better manufacturing facility. So why would we assume they take off a song instead of doing that? Doesn't seem logical to me

Edited by StrangerInThisTown
  • Like 1