THE GENERAL - MONSTERS - Official Discussion Thread. NO LINKS OR ASKING FOR LINKS

4 hours ago, GNRRHCP98 said:

That’s a fair theory… although the lack of even just a CD is still a little intriguing.

Out of the three types of physical media, the cassette is definitely the most “gimmicky” imo so I can totally understand skipping that.

"gimmicky" sells. 

Edited by Spiritual_Chaos

9 hours ago, GNFNRUK said:

https://youtu.be/PWnXod-HHXw?si=AglZZ9Y7lGBV1vfl

Not sure if this version has been posted but it’s my favourite of the live General videos I’ve seen. Nice and close up, decent audio quality too.

Thanks for this. This song is really catchy. Axl and co. has done it again. It's a hit! So the name The General is basically there just because that's the name of the demo. Not because it really has anything to do with any generality. Well perhaps The General in the song could be the "daddy", although the song seems to indicate more towards darker domestic abuse, not so much military discipline. At least that's how I see it.

13 minutes ago, Rovim said:

the general is one of my favorites from chinese era. Slash plays the right parts for the song, it starts like a creepy lullaby with disturbing lyrics and all 3 main vocal melodies are unique imo. 

That's actually spot on, it does sound like a creepy lullaby! Same time it has this oriental feel to it, would be a perfect fit for an album called Chinese Democracy II. 

4 hours ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

Why would we assume they take off Monsters now just because it's a poor quality vinyl? That has more to do with it just being a poor quality vinyl pressing like many other bands have experienced in the last few years, and they didn't put 9 minute songs on there. This band, when they were one of the biggest bands in the world, released a great sounding 7" vinyl with 9 minutes of November Rain on the A side. All they really need to do is find a better manufacturing facility. So why would we assume they take off a song instead of doing that? Doesn't seem logical to me

It's just a theory about the case Monsters doesn't end up being on the 7-inch. Like I said, I think that the two songs are or were meant to be released together (based on the registration, Fernando's inside joke and the fact that they leaked together).

So maybe Monsters is still on the 7'', but if it's not, it's a logical theory about the reason why.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Spiritual_Chaos said:

Great song. But with the way Axl struggles live, I imagine it will be a wash for the crowd, with no one picking up any of the (mainly) chorus lyrics, and people will if anything remember Slash cool ominous guitar parts when leaving the arena.

Unfortunately as much as I’m sure we all love Axl, this has been the case for most concerts in the last few years, new songs or otherwise