THE GENERAL - MONSTERS - Official Discussion Thread. NO LINKS OR ASKING FOR LINKS

20 minutes ago, JimiRose said:

I hope you are right, but this band has taught me to expect the worst! I'd assume of the 3-9 leftovers i mentioned, going down, nothing are obv 2 - we've heard them. Seven must have as it was mentioned as the best song that beltrami worked on. axl has mentioned vocals for berlin/oklahoma. the rest.. things like 4 heavens could genuinly be a re made KOHD and the rest could have been the remixes. I hope quick song had a vocal, i think axl defintely intended too, theres a great song there. 

I hope so too. Zodiac sounds too amazing to never had gotten a proper vocal take. I wonder if Me & My Elvis could be Seven? It’s the best instrumental IMO from the Village stuff. 

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, JimiRose said:

It was completed for CD and missed out due to time length issues. It is a fully finished song and as we know there arent too many of those left. It's logical. Could be wrong. But seeing as all the released songs were songs we already knew had vocals, i'd be completely shocked if it is anything else. Atlas, state of grace and soul monster. 2 of those 3 is a very safe bet.

I agree that it's safe to say that those songs will be released EVENTUALLY. But it seems like you're missing my point. We know that the Perhaps vinyl is coming soon, but there's no evidence that anything else would be released in the near future. You said "if we have to wait more than 3 months for Monsters, Atlas, State of Grace, then fuck this band." You also said earlier that you've learned to expect the worst from this band, but it doesn't seem like you have. I consider myself one of the more optimistic GNR fans, but even I'm not expecting them to release Atlas or SOG within the next 3 months, cause there's no evidence that anything would be released soon after the Perhaps vinyl. Based on all the evidence the best case scenario is that they would release Monsters together with The General, but even that is far from guaranteed.

Unfortunately the most likely scenario is probably that we're only getting The General within the next 3 months. There's a small chance that we'll get Monsters too. But there's no evidence at all that we would be getting Atlas or SOG within the next 3 months. I think we're getting all of these songs some day, but you're only setting yourself up for disappointment if you're expecting them to release Atlas or SOG within the next 3 months.

1 minute ago, Sweersa said:

I hope so too. Zodiac sounds too amazing to never had gotten a proper vocal take. I wonder if Me & My Elvis could be Seven? It’s the best instrumental IMO from the Village stuff. 

But we know Seven was written by Brain and I think Me & My Elvis predates his involvement with the band (the date on the rough mixes cd is 3/23/2000)

• Like 1

5 hours ago, jamillos said:

They seriously didn't let Frank rerecord the drums? Poor guy. Not that I don't prefer Brain, but still... 

He hasn't been on any of the releases , not sure melissa has either...fortus is credited & so is shitman

2 minutes ago, AxlRQ93 said:

is it possible Melissa quit and Chris replaced her 

Please not. Melissa Reese's backing vocals have become quite essential for GN'R's live performances recently. And we're all aware of Chris Pitman's backing vocals, especially on "Jungle", lol.

Yet, they unfortunately tend to put most of Melissa's vocals way too low in the mix most of the time. But you could still clearly hear that those vocals (and obviously her layers) were missing when she had to step out for that couple of gigs.

Chris probably had something to do with the original arrangement and, to my understanding, he's still pretty close with Brain, so they probably just found good terms and left his old takes on it, instead of having Melissa to spend time to recreate them for the studio version.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, GNRRHCP98 said:

Someone bring me up to speed, por favor… the final mix is WORSE than the leak?

Call me crazy, but I thought the leak was decent enough… :shrugs:

Agreed! Call me crazy too, but the shitty mix was complimented by the overdriven, lossier quality leak lol

I've only listened on YouTube, but on there it feels thinner like Hard Skool does compared to the leaks. Sonically there's obviously no comparison that the leak is horrible quality, but given how clippy and aggressive the drums sound, it kind of works better.

39 minutes ago, DSTK said:

He hasn't been on any of the releases , not sure melissa has either...fortus is credited & so is shitman

Frank did fully play on "Hard Skool" though, since they seemed to have rearranged the track.

But yes, all the other tracks came out of Brain's drum tracks.

Edited by streetofdreams32

DR Values for the audiophiles.

foobar2000 1.6.14 / Dynamic Range Meter 1.1.1
log date: 2023-12-07 14:21:54

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Statistics for: 01-The General
Number of samples: 11588422
Duration: 4:23 
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Left              Right

Peak Value:      0.00 dB   ---      0.00 dB   
Avg RMS:        -6.73 dB   ---     -7.05 dB   
DR channel:      5.16 dB   ---      5.40 dB   

Official DR Value: DR5

Samplerate:        44100 Hz
Channels:          2
Bits per sample:   16
Bitrate:           950 kbps
Codec:             FLAC
================================================================================

• Like 1