THE GENERAL - MONSTERS - Official Discussion Thread. NO LINKS OR ASKING FOR LINKS

13 minutes ago, El Guapo said:

I don't care anymore who of the incompetent idiots fucked it up this time, doesn't matter anymore anyway since the song is complete and utter shit.

Ι'm confused about your opinion on the song. You haven't made it clear enough. :P

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Just now, Blackstar said:

Ι'm confused about your opinion on the song. You haven't made it clear enough. :P

I know I'm annoying! :D

You know, this makes me kinda angry. Because I love(ed) GnR. They are pissing on their legacy and their fans with this. I hate because I care. :D

• ABSUЯD 1

12 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

Huh? Of course people who think it is incredible and amazing should say so. Who are you to dismiss their opinions? Just because you happen to disagree doesn't make you the opinion police. Music is subjective. There is lots of music I really don't like, like This I Love, but I accept -- and appreciate -- that others do. Maybe you could try that, too, instead of trying to dictate or rather cancel others opinions?

Gosh...take a piece out of a three paragraph post and that's what you get out of it...I'm not judging you, or anyone for liking it..There's just no nuance in argument anymore, is there?  

Knee-jerk, social media quick thought tribalism.  Me, you, like it, hate it, screw you, screw you, done.

Whatever I write is my opinion, that's it...No policing, no dictation...Like what you like.  All I'm saying is that, in my opinion, standards for GN'R and their fanbase, given the history of the band, should be higher.

I also made it clear that my frustrations are with the band, not the fanbase.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, El Guapo said:

You know, this makes me kinda angry. Because I love(ed) GnR. They are pissing on their legacy and their fans with this. I hate because I care. :D

"Their fans"? I am a fan, too, don't speak for me. I don't feel pissed upon when they release music I like. Shit, it's not like they release music often. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, El Guapo said:

Sorry, but I don't feel nor think this way. It's an average song that could have been better. That's all it is. 

18 minutes ago, El Guapo said:

Exactly!:D. Hate because you care.

The Appetite album cover was on my birthday cake when I was 10...I dragged my crippled ass into Manhattan to see all four Hammerstein nights...I love this band!  They were my Led Zeppelin & Stones growing up...they're in my blood.

I'm not naive enough to think a bunch of 60 yr olds will ever reclaim the throne, but, damn it, come on...I want to hear what they sound like on record NOW, in 2023.

What music could they conjure up?  What is Axl thinking about today?  What's on his mind?  What would he sing about in the present??  Forget 23 years ago.  What do you have to offer today?

Edited by oneway23

14 minutes ago, oneway23 said:

All I'm saying is that, in my opinion, standards for GN'R and their fanbase, given the history of the band, should be higher.

It is unfair to the band to base the standard to which you judge them purely on their best material. GN'R has also released ABSOLUTE SHIT music, in my opinion. So shouldn't the standard be an average of their output? Is it fair of us to expect more than the average of their previous output? I happen to think The General is definitely better than the average. You might disagree. Some might think it is top 5. It is all good and we are all correct.

Edited by SoulMonster

Well everyone, it was a fun ride. Would’ve never guessed we’d get The General this year. For me personally I think the discography has closed and ended so I see this as the end of the era. Not saying nothing else will never happen but I don’t expect anything and don’t feel like there’s a lot left. These 5 songs + some demos makes me feel like we have heard CDII.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, AxlRoseCDII said:

Well everyone, it was a fun ride. Would’ve never guessed we’d get The General this year. For me personally I think the discography has closed and ended so I see this as the end of the era. Not saying nothing else will never happen but I don’t expect anything and don’t feel like there’s a lot left. These 5 songs + some demos makes me feel like we have heard CDII.

Monsters will 100% be released. 1) It's top 2 from the NITL songs, and 2) Slash and Duff didn't take time to record their parts for it not to get released.  It'll be out next year at the end of summer/early fall.

With it being a guarantee for being released, that means we're also getting at least one other song in 2024, since they're releasing them in pairs.  Probably Atlas or SOG.

Edited by kozydogg
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, WhazUp said:

Now this comes from a place of love Sweersa, but if I had a nickel for every post from you that is only purely just an excuse to mention that you wish Bucket and Fink's parts were still there I could have single-handedly funded Axl's Chinese Democracy era more than Universal did :lol:

Have you ever seen Sweersa and Robin in the same place? Me either 🤔

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, SoulMonster said:

It is unfair to the band to base the standard to which you judge them purely on their best material. GN'R has also release ABSOLUTE SHIT music, in my opinion. So shouldn't the standard by an average? Is it fair of us to expect more than the average of their previous output? And I happen to think The General is definitely better than the average. You might disagree. Some might think it is top 5. It is all good and we are all correct.

That's fair...I appreciate your level-headedness.  I think I'm just fired up today because it feels like the end of an era, in a way- the dark days, the forum threads, the waits, the quotes, the teases...It feels as though it's all sort of winding down now, as the songs we waited decades for get released, and, the future, if there is one, seems a bit unclear.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, AxlRoseCDII said:

I am VERY confident we will be getting more music :)

• Like 1

Song seems to be dividing opinions, which is fine I think. Some like it a lot, others don't, which is always the way for music from any band. 

I like the song- but there's just no excuse for the production/mix. I can't defend that and I do find it infuriating that when we finally get this song, it sounds as it does. 

3 hours ago, Lethalis said:

Anyways... while we're here, complaining about bad mixes and MS Paint quality vinyl art, Sebastian Bach has released a single with Todd Kerns on bass and a complete video:

How is it possible that Bach can pull this off, but a huge band as GnR can't?

The song's fine as well. Sure, it's a bit tacky, but still brought a smile on my face.

Cowritten by Myles and Michael Baskette (who also produced it) too. The production is miles ahead of The General and Perhaps.

@IzzysMissy Did you talk to your co-workers about the song? What do they think? Can I send you my song?

7 hours ago, Lelex95 said:

Bad apple is amazing, why don’t you like it? 

Because in my opinion it is not a good song.  It is ok but at the bottom of their catalog IMO.  I think all songs they have released recently with the exception of Absurd are better than Bad Apples.

You can still like it even if I don't. My opinion should have zero bearing on your enjoyment of any song.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Rovim said:

in page 192 in this thread, from Apple music (official lyrics)

Does anyone know where the Apple Music lyrics actually come from though? If it’s just linked to “genius lyrics” or something like that then practically anyone could have uploaded them

• Like 1