THE GENERAL - MONSTERS - Official Discussion Thread. NO LINKS OR ASKING FOR LINKS

It's interesting more between the two tracks...

I still think it's of note that despite not being connected in sequence (that we know of at this point) they share the same Marco B bed of music that used to intro the shows....so, either Axl's brief was similar for both tracks or if on an album, they could follow each other...

Belltrami's other orchestration on CD tracks is quite different, so it's an interest thing to dwell on, amongst the myriad of other endless questions 

Edited by colonizedmind
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, colonizedmind said:

I still think it's of note that despite not being connected in sequence (that we know of at this point) they share the same Marco B bed of music that used to intro the shows....so, either Axl's brief was similar for both tracks or if on an album, they could follow each other...

Belltrami's other orchestration on CD tracks is quite different, so it's an interest thing to dwell on, amongst the myriad of other endless questions 

Rather than back-to-back I think a better idea would be if they were opening (TG) and closing (Monsters) tracks on a full length album (lol)

6 minutes ago, Coma16 said:

Rather than back-to-back I think a better idea would be if they were opening (TG) and closing (Monsters) tracks on a full length album (lol)

That too...who knows...wasn't TG meant for CD3 once upon a time? Perhaps Monsters was too....who knows what Axl had down to actually appear on the follow up circa 2014...maybe a bunch of stuff we knew little about or not at all....

One day, the mist will clear on all this...you just have to live long enough ....

Hope everyone is having a good 2024. Happy New Year...

• Like 2

14 hours ago, colonizedmind said:

One day, the mist will clear on all this...you just have to live long enough .

By now, chances are we'll first die in a nuclear armageddon before GNR releases a new album :shrugs:

I'm just hoping I'll enjoy Slash's new album when it comes out.

In the mean time I'm listening to all kinds of music. Right now enjoying some Brent Cobb songs (Devil Ain't Done, Don't Know When, Livin' The Dream). I like how they swing.

Not Hard Rock by any means :lol: But I like a lot of different genres.

Edited by Lethalis
  • Like 2

16 hours ago, ZoSoRose said:

TG would be a a poor opener or closer for anything imo. Monsters would be cool as either 

I feel if they ever release CD2 (or similar), The General leading into Monsters as the last track would be a great closer. 

Zodiac 13 would be a nice opener, with that piano intro. The 2000 mix of Hardschool also would have been a nice album opener with the long guitar and drum intro. Now, it's trash so maybe they will leave it off an eventual album. 

25 minutes ago, Sweersa said:

I feel if they ever release CD2 (or similar), The General leading into Monsters as the last track would be a great closer. 

Zodiac 13 would be a nice opener, with that piano intro. The 2000 mix of Hardschool also would have been a nice album opener with the long guitar and drum intro. Now, it's trash so maybe they will leave it off an eventual album. 

Axl felt for 20 years that it was trash. Now with Slash‘s input he was happy enough to release it

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, Wabby said:

Carrie Underwood’s Satellite Radio station was playing The General last night, thought that was kind of cool

I am laughing at the thought of a soccer mom tuning into the station wanting to hear Carrie sing about Jesus taking the wheel and instead getting an '80s rock band doing '90s/00s electronic/rock sounds singing about child abuse :lol:

• Haha 2

On 1/16/2024 at 7:57 PM, colonizedmind said:

They actually don't share the same orchestra bed. While it sounds similar they are two separate pieces. The General was used from 2006 to 11 as an intro and Monsters very rarely in 2010. In Canada for example iirc. 

4 hours ago, rumandraisin said:

They actually don't share the same orchestra bed. While it sounds similar they are two separate pieces. The General was used from 2006 to 11 as an intro and Monsters very rarely in 2010. In Canada for example iirc. 

Ok...so two very similar beds then? I'm imagining they were produced in close proximity then at least!

4 hours ago, rumandraisin said:

Ok...so two very similar beds then? I'm imagining they were produced in close proximity then at least!

On 1/17/2024 at 5:57 AM, Cosmo said:

Sebastian Bach made it seem like it was gonna be an epic and super heavy track. Like it was some kind of masterpiece :lol:

This is Sebastian Bach though. What does he know about epic masterpieces? He talks out of his ass half the time

• Like 3

On 1/16/2024 at 10:57 AM, Cosmo said:

Sebastian Bach made it seem like it was gonna be an epic and super heavy track. Like it was some kind of masterpiece :lol:

That is why I stuck with the theory that Monsters was Part 2 of it, for many weeks after the leak :lol:  I figured that was the only way I could see The General being the epic monster of a track that Bach made it sound like, if there was more to it all

• Like 1

9 hours ago, WhazUp said:

That is why I stuck with the theory that Monsters was Part 2 of it, for many weeks after the leak :lol:  I figured that was the only way I could see The General being the epic monster of a track that Bach made it sound like, if there was more to it all

Bach said it had a slow, grinding heavy riff with piercing vocals. I think that fits well with the chorus. 

Whether it is "epic" is entirely subjective. Bach liked it, so do I. People got to keep in mind the band's history of releasing every thing from top notch songs to absolute shit and don't have too high expectations for anything new. 

1 hour ago, oneway23 said:

I genuinely think Ol' Baz may have confused TG with Monsters, just like we did for a while there.  His description more accurately matches the bridge bit in Monsters, imo.

I have thought the same, still, it also fits the chorus of The General.

Edited by SoulMonster