The General Vocals

The General Vocals  

168 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Curious as to where other members are at on this. To me, it sounds very obvious that the vocals on this leak are modern Axl. I think he rerecorded the vocals during covid when it was decided that these few ChiDem leftovers would be worked on and released. 

Now that we got a live performance, it seems even more so to be the case, because Axl sounded just like he did on the leak. Others have noticed as well. Others also think the vocals sounds like his vocals on other ChiDem tracks, which we know were mostly all recorded during 1998. 

I included 2010-2014 because of the rumors of work on ChiDem2 and its imminent release happening during this period.

Edited by 2020_Intensions

1 minute ago, 2020_Intensions said:

Curious as to where other members are at on this. To me, it sounds very obvious that the vocals on this leak are modern Axl. I think he rerecorded the vocals during covid when it was decided that these few ChiDem leftovers would be worked on and released. 

Now that we got a live performance, it seems even more so to be the case, because Axl sounded just like he did on the leak. Others have noticed as well. Others also think the vocals sounds like his vocals on other ChiDem tracks. 

Wow, I don't think I could disagree more about this. :lol:

Since the first time I heard it, I thought it was obvious these vocals are from the early 2000s. Just like the other songs, this is CD-era Axl coated in effects. It immediately reminded me of the weaker 2002 shows. And in the context of this tour, he didn't sound too bad on the live version, but 'just like he did on the leak' is quite a stretch...

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Gordon Comstock said:

Wow, I don't think I could disagree more about this. :lol:

Since the first time I heard it, I thought it was obvious these vocals are from the early 2000s. Just like the other songs, this is CD-era Axl coated in effects. It immediately reminded me of the weaker 2002 shows. And in the context of this tour, he didn't sound too bad on the live version, but 'just like he did on the leak' is quite a stretch...

First time I heard the leak I immediately thought "this sounds like NITL Axl" .. When I heard the live performance I thought "he sounds like he does on the leak" .. And we all know Axl cannot sing any of the ChiDem songs that have high vocals anymore ..

8 minutes ago, 2020_Intensions said:

First time I heard the leak I immediately thought "this sounds like NITL Axl" .. When I heard the live performance I thought "he sounds like he does on the leak" .. And we all know Axl cannot sing any of the ChiDem songs that have high vocals anymore ..

Do you think the whole thing sounds like NITL Axl?

I think Monsters was pretty obviously recorded in the early-mid 2000s, probably around the same time as songs like Better and Sorry, but The General seems earlier than that. I'd guess 2001-02, his clean voice is different and not as strong as 1999 or 2006, but it's close to how he sounded at some 2002 shows. It's been coated in effects like OMG (and to an extent, the other NITL singles) but it seems obvious to me that it's an early 2000s take...

• Like 4

Well, we can rule out 1998 and 1999, because Brain came up with the main rhythm/beat in H2 of 2000. I don't think it had vocals when Beltrami worked on it in 2002, either. Sebastian Back mentioned having listened to it in 2007 with vocals, so I would guess it had vocals at some point between 2002 and 2007. Obviously, Axl could have re-recorded vocals or added new vocals at any point of the song at any time since then and up till, well, I guess, now. But if he was happy with the vocals he had recorded prior to 2007, then I doubt he made any changes to them after that point. 

Edited by SoulMonster
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

Well, we can rule out 1998 and 1999, because Brain came up with the main rhythm/beat in H2 of 2000. I don't think it had vocals when Beltrami worked on it in 2002, either. Sebastian Back mentioned having listened to it in 2007 with vocals, so I would guess it had vocals at some point between 2002 and 2007. Obviously, Axl could have re-recorded vocals or added new vocals at any point of the song at any time since then and up till, well, I guess, now. But if he was happy with the vocals he had recorded prior to 2007, then I doubt he made any changes to them after that point. 

Probably around the same time he did Shacklers, Better, Sorry, Scraped and Monsters. 2003, 2004, 2005. 

The session in early 2007 for vocals was just tidying stuff up and adding little bits n bobs wasn't it, 'jumping from song to song' as it was described. 

And knowing how they double tracked parts on Hard Skool rather than do new vocals shows be hasn't been back to work on any of this stuff. Despite 4tus saying he's been in the studio every year doing vocals. Oh 4tus. 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, t-p-d-a said:

idk

but what vocals are the latest on CD?

The ending part of Street of Dreams, the "it was a long time" parts on TWAT, last line of the title track. Basically anything that wasn't present on the MSL and 2008 leaks. 

Shacklers was one of the last but I think Axls comments about it being inspired by the school shooting that year may have been confused. People assume it was done after the Virginia shooting but that's not what Axl said. "Shackler's was inspired by the insanity of senseless school shootings and also the media trying desperately to make more out of one shooter's preference for the Guns song Brownstone to no avail."

So lump it in with Scraped and Sorry as the last ones done for the record. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, rumandraisin said:

The ending part of Street of Dreams, the "it was a long time" parts on TWAT, last line of the title track. Basically anything that wasn't present on the MSL and 2008 leaks. 

Shacklers was one of the last but I think Axls comments about it being inspired by the school shooting that year may have been confused. People assume it was done after the Virginia shooting but that's not what Axl said. "Shackler's was inspired by the insanity of senseless school shootings and also the media trying desperately to make more out of one shooter's preference for the Guns song Brownstone to no avail."

So lump it in with Scraped and Sorry as the last ones done for the record. 

The Virginia tech shooter wrote a short story called Mr. brownstone, so yeah, it must’ve been written and vocally recorded after that shooting. I’d guess probably somewhere in the second half of 2007 based on that info.

• Thanks 1

If the liner notes on CD is anything to go by, it looks that Axl used vocals that were mainly recorded by Sean Beavan between 1999-2000 (the majority of the songs on the album) and by Caram (Better, This I Love, Sorry, Shackler's Revenge, Scraped). If I'm not mistaken, RTB, who was the producer from around spring 2000 to the end of 2001,  is not credited for recording/engineering on any songs (but I have to look in the album credits again to be sure), so the Caram recorded vocals must be from 2002 or later and Axl didn't use vocals recorded in the RTB era..

There's also a credit for Beavan on Perhaps. There are no credits for Hard Skool, but it's safe to say that the vocals on that were recorded by Beavan as well. Since The General wasn't around yet during Beavan's tenure and the tracks Beltrami worked on in the summer of 2002 didn't have vocals, the vocals must have been recorded sometime later in 2002 or maybe in 2003.

Edited by Blackstar

12 hours ago, Gordon Comstock said:

I think Monsters was pretty obviously recorded in the early-mid 2000s, probably around the same time as songs like Better and Sorry, but The General seems earlier than that. I'd guess 2001-02, his clean voice is different and not as strong as 1999 or 2006, but it's close to how he sounded at some 2002 shows. It's been coated in effects like OMG (and to an extent, the other NITL singles) but it seems obvious to me that it's an early 2000s take...

Monsters is a completely different song so irrelevant to this discussion. And no, I do not think all of The General sounds like NITL. I should have clarified, but it's just the chorus where he goes high, that I think sounds exactly like how he does now. The rest of the song I agree is the original vocals from either early or mid 2000s. 

2 hours ago, Voodoochild said:

It could be a mix of early 2000s and 2014/16. 

That's my line of thinking ... The verses sound like early 2000s Axl, but the chorus sounds like how he sounds now live ... 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Gordon Comstock said:

Agreed. Soul Monster probably around 2004-2005. 

The General probably around 2002-2003

7 hours ago, Blackstar said:

If the liner notes on CD is anything to go by, it looks that Axl used vocals that were mainly recorded by Sean Beavan between 1999-2000 (the majority of the songs on the album) and by Caram (Better, This I Love, Sorry, Shackler's Revenge, Scraped). If I'm not mistaken, RTB, who was the producer from around spring 2000 to the end of 2001,  is not credited for recording/engineering on any songs (but I have to look in the album credits again to be sure), so the Caram recorded vocals must be from 2002 or later and Axl didn't use vocals recorded in the RTB era..

There's also a credit for Beavan on Perhaps. There are no credits for Hard Skool, but it's safe to say that the vocals on that were recorded by Beavan as well. Since The General wasn't around yet during Beavan's tenure and the tracks Beltrami worked on in the summer of 2002 didn't have vocals, the vocals must have been recorded sometime later in 2002 or maybe in 2003.

The RTB era is interesting as we can tell from the locker discs they weren't recording new vocals. They had the Beaven stuff with vocals and were focusing on new instrumentals with Bucket, rerecording the drums with Brain. Seems to be the agenda from 2000 in to 2001. 

RTB leaves and they work on turning new instrumentals into songs. See 3 Dollar Pyramid, General etc. 2002 was spent doing that, adding 4tus. Then the tour. 2003 or 4 would be adding vox to these new songs - Scraped, General, Monsters, Better and so on. 

The locker discs really helped give us clarity as to where they were by autumn 2001. 

2 hours ago, rumandraisin said:

The RTB era is interesting as we can tell from the locker discs they weren't recording new vocals. They had the Beaven stuff with vocals and were focusing on new instrumentals with Bucket, rerecording the drums with Brain. Seems to be the agenda from 2000 in to 2001. 

RTB leaves and they work on turning new instrumentals into songs. See 3 Dollar Pyramid, General etc. 2002 was spent doing that, adding 4tus. Then the tour. 2003 or 4 would be adding vox to these new songs - Scraped, General, Monsters, Better and so on. 

The locker discs really helped give us clarity as to where they were by autumn 2001. 

Yes. And according to Brain, The General and Seven were written during the months leading to the House of Blues show when band members were told to bring in new material to the band. So Axl was looking to collect even more songs in late 2000, which might have something to do with Bob Ezrin's "verdict" that the songs he already had were not good enough.

• Like 1