Will the new album be Chinese demos or will it be new material?

11 minutes ago, megaguns1982 said:

That ship sailed back in 2008.

although I’d say the record company are pushing for it, there just ain’t much $$$ in it as opposed to nostalgia touring.

sad to say, but pitman called it. And he was 100% right…

Take cover my friend and expect a shitstorm of nostalgia fans. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Considering they are using the most worthy stuff (and/or current lineup appropriate stuff) that didn't end up on Chinese Democracy itself, if, and only if there actually is a new album I would assume it to be mostly newer stuff with a couple of CD era tracks, if that

Which I am okay with, if Slash brings the goods such as an Anastasia-level guitar part to GNR I would absolutely love to hear what Axl could add on top of that

Edited by WhazUp
  • Like 2

I’ll say the same thing I say in any of the dozens of threads on this subject: there’s no reason why it shouldn’t consist of both. Probably mostly CD 2 stuff, ideally also some brand new songs (if Axl feels like writing anything), and throw in some 94–96 stuff on the top, and we got ourselves a great "comeback" record. It needs to be really good, the pressure will be high, as this will be the first joint original material since 91. 
And as usual, I don’t buy that "there’s no money in records anymore" bullshit. You can always say: other bands normally do it, so can this one. 

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, megaguns1982 said:

sad to say, but pitman called it. And he was 100% right…

Aye, after he was punted and his pockets were no longer being lined. Remember, Pitman said around 2012/2013 that a band like Guns N' Roses doesn't need to release albums, so he was very much happy to play the same old tired setlist that relied heavily upon old material. Pot meet kettle etc etc.

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, Dean said:

Aye, after he was punted and his pockets were no longer being lined. Remember, Pitman said around 2012/2013 that a band like Guns N' Roses doesn't need to release albums, so he was very much happy to play the same old tired setlist that relied heavily upon old material. Pot meet kettle etc etc.

He might be a hypocrite but it doesn't mean he was wrong.

• Like 2

Everything Slash has said since the reunion has been pretty much honest and spot on. 

Axl had a bunch of leftovers that he wanted to put out so they reworked them and are releasing them. There might be 1 or 2 left. 

Then they are working on a new album. If there was existing stuff it probably would have got reworked with the other leftovers. So I’d imagine a new album will be new stuff. 

• Like 1

I'd rather CD material. With the Slash and Duff parts as we've seen so far. Are they/ain't there vocals on this leftover material aside, I'd like to see the other handful of songs we've been obsessed with for years. Seven, Thyme, Zodiac, Quick, Atlas and Berlin. Then the never confirmed titles like Cuban and Tonto. And don't forget Beta's Barn. If they don't have vocals, finish those before moving on. Then we can finally put that era to bed. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jacdaniel said:

Everything Slash has said since the reunion has been pretty much honest and spot on. 

Axl had a bunch of leftovers that he wanted to put out so they reworked them and are releasing them. There might be 1 or 2 left. 

Then they are working on a new album. If there was existing stuff it probably would have got reworked with the other leftovers. So I’d imagine a new album will be new stuff. 

I could be wrong here.....but didn't Slash say most recently there was no new stuff? That they hadn't worked on a new album at all? 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, allwaystired said:

I could be wrong here.....but didn't Slash say most recently there was no new stuff? That they hadn't worked on a new album at all? 

He did say that, but also that the plan was to start working on new music after this last tour was over. Tom Mayhue and Fortus (I know...) said the same.

• Like 4

40 minutes ago, allwaystired said:

There's no new stuff that they have collectively worked, but he also said he had material he viewed as gnr specific.

I don't know what the plan is, but from Slash's words he intends on making a gnr record, and he has been pretty clear that it is separate from the CD era material... At least in his mind. What happens? Time will tell. At the moment I'd prefer if they built the songs from scratch, these new songs just aren't hitting the target. Perhaps has come closest, but the rest to me would have been the weaker end of Chinese beside scraped etc. 

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

He did say that, but also that the plan was to start working on new music after this last tour was over. Tom Mayhue and Fortus (I know...) said the same.

Yeah but Slash is also going on tour for a lot of next year and he's going to be key to getting a record started.