“Nothing”

Can’t find the old thread but just wanted to talk about this song for a second.

Ive been listening to “Nothing” quite a bit recently. Something about it is so interesting to me. I try not to take it too seriously since it was probably only a proof of concept with scratch lines and lyrics, but there’s a part of me that see it’s as this almost heavenly, otherworldly song. Even the way the drums are, they feel like they have an echo or something I can’t describe. It’s so mysterious as well because this song was just never (afaik) talked about by the band, never even treated as anything seriously minus that .txt list mentioning it that I see discussed a lot. 

I assume this song would be cut from any future releases. Doesn’t strike me as the type of song Slash and Duff would care for, and even if they did, we need to hear stuff like Atlas, SOG, Seven, etc first. Would be a fantastic album closer. 

Does anyone else like this song or is it just universally considered a turd?

• Like 3

Not a fan really, out of all the locker leak stuff it somehow feels the most incomplete even though it has vocals. It also sounds like it was originally recorded at a faster tempo and then the entire track was stretched out to make it slower. It has this unnatural sound that come's with doing that.

• GNFNR 1

I'd say it was definitely made into a full song as someone said above it was on the CD2 tracklist, having heard what they did with all the other songs that had 1 verse and barely a chorus, it wouldnt surprise me if they just kept it repeating either. there's 32 completed songs somewhere. CD + 4 released plus omg. thats 19. atlas nothing state of grace soul monster eye on you going down is 25. that means there's 7 more songs with lyrics we havent heard yet. possibly quick song, possibly seven, thyme. theres still gotta be at least 4 surprises we're clueless about. 

• GNFNR 1

7 hours ago, AxlRoseCDII said:

Can’t find the old thread but just wanted to talk about this song for a second.

Ive been listening to “Nothing” quite a bit recently. Something about it is so interesting to me. I try not to take it too seriously since it was probably only a proof of concept with scratch lines and lyrics, but there’s a part of me that see it’s as this almost heavenly, otherworldly song. Even the way the drums are, they feel like they have an echo or something I can’t describe. It’s so mysterious as well because this song was just never (afaik) talked about by the band, never even treated as anything seriously minus that .txt list mentioning it that I see discussed a lot. 

I assume this song would be cut from any future releases. Doesn’t strike me as the type of song Slash and Duff would care for, and even if they did, we need to hear stuff like Atlas, SOG, Seven, etc first. Would be a fantastic album closer. 

Does anyone else like this song or is it just universally considered a turd?

I made a thread about this a while ago. I also like it, despite it being a rough demo bit. I like how it's like reversely saying the same thing as George Harrison's (of da Beatles) Something. Good song could be made of it, I'm sure, but not with Slash's southern rock sound.

• GNFNR 1

It's such a rough, early idea that I'm honestly surprised people listen to it regularly. It seems like it's just Axl and Billy Howerdel fucking around in the pro tools room while Axl tries out melodies... it's interesting to hear Axl working on such an early version of a song but he's literally mumbling scat vocals in the middle of it, it's not something I'm gonna listen to in a playlist.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Slugworth said:

Yeah I haven't listened to it since it first leaked. It's garbage.

It's honestly too rough for me to have a real opinion on it. I listened to it again for the first time in a long time because of this thread, and there's a very bare-bones sort of idea there, but I don't really even consider it a 'song' more like a rough sketch or an idea. But yea, it's not something I'll listen to again.

On 11/26/2023 at 10:16 AM, JimiRose said:

I'd say it was definitely made into a full song as someone said above it was on the CD2 tracklist, having heard what they did with all the other songs that had 1 verse and barely a chorus, it wouldnt surprise me if they just kept it repeating either. there's 32 completed songs somewhere. CD + 4 released plus omg. thats 19. atlas nothing state of grace soul monster eye on you going down is 25. that means there's 7 more songs with lyrics we havent heard yet. possibly quick song, possibly seven, thyme. theres still gotta be at least 4 surprises we're clueless about. 

I know it's been discussed before but haven't seen it spoken about recently. That CD2 post from 2008, do we know it's genuine? I never saw it mentioned until the locker leaks in 2019. 

1 hour ago, rumandraisin said:

I know it's been discussed before but haven't seen it spoken about recently. That CD2 post from 2008, do we know it's genuine? I never saw it mentioned until the locker leaks in 2019. 

i cant tell you its genuine with absolute certainty, but i can tell you it definitely came before 2019. So my considered opinion is 99% positive it is genuine