The General Music Video Discussion Thread

2 minutes ago, El Guapo said:

"The band making an effort"

Hahahah, they don't deserve fans like you.

I would bet the budget for this is more than the budgets for the Hard Skool, Shadow of Your Love and Absurd videos combined. That you don't like the video is entirely irrelevant to whether the band has made an effort. I have followed this band for quite some time now, and the band not making an effort is very different to this, it is zero singles and zero videos ;)

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Stay.Of.Execution said:

There was the appetite logo though

Yes, it is clearly.

I like how the child morphed into band members.

Dislike the pink and purple tones, had nothing to do with this band. The final logo with purple blood is horrible. Guns N Wokes? No please.

Miss more story in this video, have good and bad things. 6/10 to me

5 minutes ago, JimiRose said:

I don't think this is a choice, they just can't write a song that would please the fans, and then aren't professional enough to release it in a way to make it a success. The 'sticking to their principles and writing the songs we wanna write' attitude doesn't apply to GnR. no one in the band aside from Axl even wrote this song ffs :lol:

They make no attempts at making it easy for themselves. They chose to release Absurd first when they could have released Perhaps or Hard Skool first. It makes little sense to anyone than Axl, I suppose. They have gone for all kinds of artistic styles on the videos these few years, making sure to annoy just about every part of their fan base. I dig it. 

• Like 1

I'm baffled. These dudes are not touring, or at least most of them aren't, they're all alive and live in the same damn country, yet it is completely out of the picture for them to go to a studio one day and record a damn music video. Linkin Park released an AI video but that's coming from a band whose frontman killed himself, and it felt like a homage to him. But this? It makes no sense. A simple video of them in a white room playing this would have been so much better. This was done by a fucking app. I mean... there are literally apps in the apple appstore that you can just download them, pay a subscription, which is usually not all that expensive, upload a live video and it will generate these AI images in a few minutes. This video probably cost, idk.... 50 dollars to make. And this is GnR.

My band is currently facing the issue that we're all in diferent cities now (I am in a different continent) and even though, we completely discarded the possibility of making an AI lyric video cause its just still too bad. In a few years, this will be seen like the CGI on that Pet Shop Boys music video of the 80s currently is.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

I would bet the budget for this is more than the budgets for the Hard Skool, Shadow of Your Love and Absurd videos combined. That you don't like the video is entirely irrelevant to whether the band has made an effort. I have followed this band for quite some time now, and the band not making an effort is very different to this, it is zero singles and zero videos ;)

They made an effort by commissioning it, and then agreeing to pay for it - yes. That is certainly a positive. but theyve had zero input and not created a storyline or actually physically gone out of their way for the project. Most likely fernando said 'hey ax you wanna try AI vid for the general, it'll cost x thousand dollars' and axl said yes. after that they probably didnt get involved again. Which again, better than doing nothing, but bare minimum nonetheless. 

1 minute ago, GnR Chris said:

Potter explains, "The decision to integrate AI into our storytelling process was inspired ultimately by the band management. Prior to combining the AI workflow, the team had been working on an animated cinematic in Unreal Engine. 

We know who to blame for this now. As if there was any doubt. Sounds like band management failed to put a video something together via Unreal due to probably incompetence. Couldn’t meet a deadline to save their lives. So then they outsourced some AI and chopped it all together, called it a day.

Yep, laziest approach possible.

1 minute ago, GnR Chris said:

Potter explains, "The decision to integrate AI into our storytelling process was inspired ultimately by the band management. Prior to combining the AI workflow, the team had been working on an animated cinematic in Unreal Engine. 

We know who to blame for this now. As if there was any doubt. Sounds like band management failed to put a video something together via Unreal due to probably incompetence. Couldn’t meet a deadline to save their lives. So then they outsourced some AI and chopped it all together, called it a day.

I think you got it wrong. Creative Works was working on a more conventional video using the Unreal Engine when the band decided to instead go for a mix of AI, hand drawn graphics, live footage and motion graphics, either because it would be less expensive or as an artistic choice. Or did I get it wrong?

• Like 3

1 minute ago, downzy said:

Agreed.  Some effort was made here. 

But is that baseline now? 

Fairly certain most of us love Guns N' Roses because they put out great work. 

I guess we should give points for them trying, but how many?

As fans, we're in this weird place where because the band didn't do much (at least, from our vantage point), it's assumed to be better than nothing when something is offered.  But does that mean fans can't criticize if the work doesn't measure up to what fans want and expect from their favourite band?

I'm all for encouragement and giving credit where it's due.  If the band is happy with this video, then great.  Ultimately their biggest priority should be pleasing themselves.  But that doesn't mean their fans should like it.  

Of course not. But there will definitely be many who love this video. As is usual, they push some fans away in the process. They have done that as a trademark throughout their career, like when they released acoustic music, when they added keyboards on UYI, when they released One In A Million, when they used drum machines, etc etc, You know this as well as I do. There is nothing new under the sun here. The fact that you don't like the video doesn't mean it doesn't have qualities, it just means you don't like it.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, ShadowOfTheWave said:

Fernando Lebeis is an embarrassment to mankind itself. The fact that Axl allows this cringelord to disgrace this band again and again is just sad.

I honestly dont think Axl even knows about the online state of GNR, if a fan told him "Hey the new video for The General looks like Cancer contracted HIV and tried to kill itself", I bet Axls response would be "I didnt know we did a video for that"

Edited by Skamos66
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, JimiRose said:

They made an effort by commissioning it, and then agreeing to pay for it - yes. That is certainly a positive. but theyve had zero input and not created a storyline or actually physically gone out of their way for the project. Most likely fernando said 'hey ax you wanna try AI vid for the general, it'll cost x thousand dollars' and axl said yes. after that they probably didnt get involved again. Which again, better than doing nothing, but bare minimum nonetheless. 

Uhm, I don't think bands typically make their own videos, this is usually outsourced. The interaction would likely have been to commission someone, give initial direction, approve storyboard, go through early drafts, make new directions, approve final version. The difference here is that they wanted to spend a lot more money on it. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

I think you got it wrong. Creative Works was working on a more conventional video using the Unreal Engine when the band decided to instead go for a mix of AI, hand drawn graphics, live footage and motion graphics, either because it would be less expensive or as an artistic choice. Or did I get it wrong?

Sounds like you may be correct, actually. CW was doing it via Unreal and then band management went the route of AI. Regardless, my point stands. It’s all band management’s idea, thus they’re to blame. LOL

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

Uhm, I don't think bands typically make their own videos, this is usually outsourced. The interaction would likely have been to commission someone, give initial direction, approve storyboard, go through early drafts, make new directions, approve final version. The difference here is that they wanted to spend a lot more money on it. 

Obviously they don't make them, but they usually star in them and decide the storyline! 

2 minutes ago, GnR Chris said:

Sounds like you may be correct, actually. CW was doing it via Unreal and then band management went the route of AI. Regardless, my point stands. It’s all band management’s idea, thus they’re to blame. LOL

Creative Works were only dealing with the band management, which is customary and really what management is for. They wouldn't necessarily know to what extent the band itself directed management. 

1 minute ago, JimiRose said:

Obviously they don't make them, but they usually star in them and decide the storyline! 

And thank god Axl didn't decide to go for a complex storyline :lol: