The General Music Video Discussion Thread

58 minutes ago, El Guapo said:

Wouldn't it be hilarious if they'd use the exact same video AGAIN for Monsters?

Very cost effective too, they could sell it like "it's never done before and connects the two songs in a genius way" or something. :D

Yea for sure they're very good at bullshit writing.

The text for the General video was so serious as if it's a synopsis of a film by Ingmar Bergman.

Edited by ©GnrPersia
  • Haha 3

On 2/1/2024 at 8:02 PM, 22frets said:

The worst part is that they couldn't even do it correctly. The part where the Medusa head calms down and then starts throwing up is supposed to sync up with the start and end of the bridge section but they completely botched that. I was dumbfounded that no one noticed it before hitting publish. 

No one noticed they'd sent files that weren't big enough to publish on the Perhaps sleeve either, so the printers had to blow them up until they pixelated which is equally dumbfounding. 

I genuinely don't understand how these things can happen. 

• ABSUЯD 1

11 hours ago, allwaystired said:

No one noticed they'd sent files that weren't big enough to publish on the Perhaps sleeve either, so the printers had to blow them up until they pixelated which is equally dumbfounding. 

The answer has two words. One of them is Team and the other one is a country. 

Edited by jamillos
  • Haha 4

Youtube is already full of fanmade AI music videos that are pretty much the same quality as The General's official video. Like this one for example:

Keep in mind that 'Dance Alone' by Sia and Kylie Minogue was released just a few days ago. This AI music video was made in a couple of days by a fan. Nobody can convince me that the video for 'The General' took a lot of effort to make.

It's fine to make silly, low-effort videos, but please don't market them with a 'Get ready for something really F'N special' slogan. Imagine if they had called 'My World' something really F'N special in the nineties. It was fine as a goofy, low-effort joke song, but hyping it up beforehand would have been ridiculous.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 2/4/2024 at 3:45 PM, allwaystired said:

My Perhaps vinyl and CD are not pixelated. So that could have been a legitimate fuck-up from the printing company. Who knows.

1 hour ago, GnR Chris said:

My Perhaps vinyl and CD are not pixelated. So that could have been a legitimate fuck-up from the printing company. Who knows.

I thought the CD was ok but the vinyls were all shit? 

I cancelled my order so just basing it on pics and things people said on here....

Be great to see some pics if you have them? 

Edited by allwaystired

48 minutes ago, GnR Chris said:

Nice one, thanks. Yeah- looks like they cleared up the issue.....which is good, but shit for those that got stuck with the pixelated ones! 

How does the CD sound? It's an SACD, and I was a bit ambivalent to it, but the other day I was listening to an SACD and was struck by how good it sounded. 

3 minutes ago, allwaystired said:

Nice one, thanks. Yeah- looks like they cleared up the issue.....which is good, but shit for those that got stuck with the pixelated ones! 

How does the CD sound? It's an SACD, and I was a bit ambivalent to it, but the other day I was listening to an SACD and was struck by how good it sounded. 

lol no clue how it sounds! I kept it wrapped. But yeah, I preordered that vinyl day one, and it says it was made in Czech Republic. Not sure if the pixelated ones also came from there or were packaged elsewhere. 

2 minutes ago, GnR Chris said:

lol no clue how it sounds! I kept it wrapped. But yeah, I preordered that vinyl day one, and it says it was made in Czech Republic. Not sure if the pixelated ones also came from there or were packaged elsewhere. 

Not tempted to open it and give it a spin?! 

6 hours ago, allwaystired said:

Not tempted to open it and give it a spin?! 

Actually I am and probably will open it. I just bought a new audio video receiver, and put up an additional couple speakers. I’d like to hear the CD version surrounded by speakers. 😂 

• Like 1

On 2/9/2024 at 12:19 PM, GnR Chris said:

I work at a printing company and it doesn't work that way. If GNR supplied a good quality artwork file, it would not end up pixelated. What most likely happened was that they caught the fuck-up before yours was printed.

That said, the printers are supposed to be the professionals, so it's their responsibility to say "hey, this is a really low resolution image, we need something better". And that's not something that should catch them off-guard. I'd say 90% of our clients give us absolute garbage files to begin with, and we have to go back and forth over it until a usable file is supplied. Most people who aren't graphic designers have no fucking clue what resolution even is.

• Like 3