The General Music Video Discussion Thread

Just now, JAxlMorrison said:

So fine is probably the worst thing released under the GNR name. Just….utter crap. 

Agree, is

2 minutes ago, JAxlMorrison said:

So fine is probably the worst thing released under the GNR name. Just….utter crap. 

Agree, is an:sleeper:

On 2/11/2024 at 8:14 AM, colonizedmind said:

Fair...

But I do think there's a decent chance that Atlas in final form, as in, the one that almost made Chinese would/will sound quite a bit different to 2000 version we've heard! 

Well, I do believe CD2 was in "final form" as in ready to be released around the time the 2008 album was. It's more of a matter of did NITL touch it or not? I don't think they worked on Hard Skool, Absurd, Perhaps, The General, and Monsters because they needed to be finished, rather, they just wanted their playing on it since they are currently in the band.

3 hours ago, Sweersa said:

Well, I do believe CD2 was in "final form" as in ready to be released around the time the 2008 album was. It's more of a matter of did NITL touch it or not? I don't think they worked on Hard Skool, Absurd, Perhaps, The General, and Monsters because they needed to be finished, rather, they just wanted their playing on it since they are currently in the band.

Who knows....wish we had more insider and less speculation sometimes....

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/12/2024 at 7:41 PM, JAxlMorrison said:

I like it. The vocals kinda suck, but it's a good tune with some cool dynamics.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, EvanG said:

I like it. The vocals kinda suck, but it's a good tune with some cool dynamics.

the close to climaxing sex noises are a turn off for you iirc heh. I like the song too, the vocals I don't have an issue with, even if they're not exactly what you'd call traditionally good, especially from Duff, but I wouldn't change it personally. my favorite part of the song is Slash's leads with that tone :wub:

Edited by Rovim

1 hour ago, Rovim said:

the close to climaxing sex noises are a turn off for you iirc heh. I like the song too, the vocals I don't have an issue with, even if they're not exactly what you'd call traditionally good, especially from Duff, but I wouldn't change it personally. my favorite part of the song is Slash's leads with that tone :wub:

The sex noises Axl makes are lame indeed, and I’d be pissed if I were Duff if someone made those noises in my song, but who knows… maybe he doesn’t mind or even likes them? Still, it doesn’t ruin the song for me and I love the piano part in it too. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, EvanG said:

The sex noises Axl makes are lame indeed, and I’d be pissed if I were Duff if someone made those noises in my song, but who knows… maybe he doesn’t mind or even likes them? Still, it doesn’t ruin the song for me and I love the piano part in it too. 

I like the rock n roll chorus and the guitar as well. Not the worst song at all.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Rovim said:

This! The lead tone alone makes this song worth listening to. The tune really is pretty cool musically, vocals are the worst part and bring it down.

• 3 weeks later...

Looks like Pink Floyd is getting similar backlash to GNR with respect to AI in their videos:

https://petapixel.com/2024/04/09/fury-as-ai-video-wins-competition-held-by-pink-floyd/

Interesting discussion happening right now as to when and where computer generation is appropriate.  I think some artists can get away with it (particularly EDM artists) where computer technology has long been associated the art form.

I don't think AI is something that works all too well with classic rock artists.  It just feels like jumping on the bandwagon as a means to recapture relevancy.  

• Like 3

4 hours ago, downzy said:

Looks like Pink Floyd is getting similar backlash to GNR with respect to AI in their videos:

https://petapixel.com/2024/04/09/fury-as-ai-video-wins-competition-held-by-pink-floyd/

Interesting discussion happening right now as to when and where computer generation is appropriate.  I think some artists can get away with it (particularly EDM artists) where computer technology has long been associated the art form.

I don't think AI is something that works all too well with classic rock artists.  It just feels like jumping on the bandwagon as a means to recapture relevancy.  

IMO because it all feels like an already outdated esthetic. Not as cool as 60s Beatles, but just some trippy-ish noise that people will find it (even more) ridiculous in the future. 

Kind of like this very 2000s visuals:

• Like 2

On 4/10/2024 at 1:43 PM, Voodoochild said:

IMO because it all feels like an already outdated esthetic. Not as cool as 60s Beatles, but just some trippy-ish noise that people will find it (even more) ridiculous in the future. 

Kind of like this very 2000s visuals:

Yeah...  It's one of those things you figure artists would know by now to avoid what are obvious trends that, if they're not already out style, soon will be.

And yeesh, that Lincoln Park video is brutal to watch now.  

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, jamillos said:

I've watched it exactly once in this lifetime. 

I've seen it twice. The first time was at work, so I couldn't fully immerse myself in it. 

The second time, which was recent, I was at home, and not sober, so it was much better. (But still not great)  

Overall, the Perhaps video is better, however, Fernando being in the Perhaps video took it down a notch, not as much as Slash's guitar solo though. It needed to be in a higher note, didn't match the song. It was nice they kept two seconds of Robin, and the very last bit of Slash's solo sounded alright. 

9 minutes ago, 2020_Intensions said:

Love So Fine. Listen to it a lot. I never watched and never will The General music video. Probably will never listen to it again either (saying that after all these years is such a crazy thing)

The thing is sitting in my amazon music library and I just can't delete it because I'm a fan since 1987. I really don't wanna hear it ever again but I can't find the heart to get rid of it. XD

• Haha 1