Slash's blues album set for May; single out now. SERPENT festival announced

1 hour ago, Rovim said:

just my opinion, but this album never takes off. I don't want to be too negative so I'll keep it short, but I have no interest in listening to any track from this album again. doesn't sound inspired or interesting. a few moments when it felt like to me it was going to go someplace interesting but it fell flat.

glad that many seems to like it around here though.

Totally agree. It was good listening to it, and makes good back ground music but won't ever put it on to "listen" to an album going forth AND he may well get a Grammy for one of these covers. But, imo, Slash alone has had half dozen magical highlights outside of GNR, but his true magic seems to be when he has chemistry and is pushed/feeds off. He was one of the Gun's in the Rose and without that/the supporting chemistry, his work is not as great as his name, imo. VRs Slither was one of those highs imo, yet without that particular drummer/singer/rythem guitarist, slither wouldn't be the monster it is. Afd owes so much to Steven for a portion of its chemistry imo. I was conflicted listening to it as I love Slash, but when I asked myself if I would like it if his name was not attached, I thought, hell no.

Glad every one likes it though. Lol, just discovered Bucket head's Jordan track 😂 

Posted (edited)

I can't get over Metal Chestnut, that has got to be the most wimpy, ballless track he has ever put together, it sounds like something you'd play for your baby to fall asleep, or infront of a church crowd, lol

Man this is a lot to take in, 70 minutes of music. Key To The Highway is an early favourite, such good soloing from Slash.

Edited by StrangerInThisTown
  • Haha 2

Listened to it this morning, but I was in a shit mood and stuff. :D

First impression: very good but not as grand as the singles suggested. 

PWARS is not that great because of the vocals, imo. Which sucks since it's such a monster of a song.

Looking forward to really listen to this.

3 minutes ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

I just can't get over Metal Chestnut, that has got to be the most wimply, ballless track he has ever put together, it sounds like something you'd play for your baby to fall asleep or infront of a church crowd:lol:

Man this is a lot to take in, 70 minutes of music. Key To The Highway is an early favourite, such good soloing from Slash.

Very nice intro and then yet same chord progression we could here on last 4 SMKC albums... The middle lifted solo saves it (though its soooooooo similar to Back and Forth Again). Honestly I think he wasted a very fresh and breathing intro on a not very special instrumental song.

Posted (edited)

Best moment on the entire album: 3 minutes before the whole thing ends: at 4:34 with Beth Harts singing and Slashs guitar in unison before the solo. Goosebumps..just perfection. I love when bands put the best track last on the album. It's somehow just very cool.

1 hour ago, t-p-d-a said:

i had this disc on my mailbox yesterday. I listen the whole record and it's amazing. But i can't really enjoy "Papa Was A Rolling Stone" with that voice :-( it's a little bit disappointment

I want Slash II so bad... I like these projects with different singers.. Bravo Slash!

I’m a big Temptations fan. The music recorded for Papa is a 10. Love the solos. Demi’s voice is a little off when she is low (sounds like a pop star trying to do something she isn’t as comfortable with), but when she sings high, she kills it! I’ll get used to her take on the verses with a few more listens

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Ralphelmo said:

Very nice intro and then yet same chord progression we could here on last 4 SMKC albums... The middle lifted solo saves it (though its soooooooo similar to Back and Forth Again). Honestly I think he wasted a very fresh and breathing intro on a not very special instrumental song.

Yes, that's a good comparison, he caught that same vibe already in Back And Forth Again, and it is a million times better. It is actually probably one of his best solos ever, I see no reason to listen to Metal Chestnut ever again in my life when I can just go listen to Back And Forth Again and hear it done better lol.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, t-p-d-a said:

i had this disc on my mailbox yesterday. I listen the whole record and it's amazing. But i can't really enjoy "Papa Was A Rolling Stone" with that voice :-( it's a little bit disappointment

I want Slash II so bad... I like these projects with different singers.. Bravo Slash!

I wish Dorothy would have swapped songs with Demi. PWARS would have been tons better with her.

• Like 3

Living in the City is a sleeper. I think it is great! 

Stormy Monday obviously is awesome. Metal Chestnut, I keep going back to it. 

Beth Hart was ready to fuck Slash by the end of Stormy Monday lol

• Haha 3

30 minutes ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

Best moment on the entire album: 3 minutes before the whole thing ends: at 4:34 with Beth Harts singing and Slashs guitar in unison before the solo. Goosebumps..just perfection. I love when bands put the best track last on the album. It's somehow just very cool.

I knew this had to be special but shit, right after the intro when he starts playing The Blues this song is turning into a monster (no pun intended). I really love this kind of blues and both, Slash and Beth killed it here. I loved their first collaboration on Slash but this is pure magic, from start to finish. 
After work I’m able to listen to the rest again.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 5/17/2024 at 6:36 AM, ZoSoRose said:

I’m a big Temptations fan. The music recorded for Papa is a 10. Love the solos. Demi’s voice is a little off when she is low (sounds like a pop star trying to do something she isn’t as comfortable with), but when she sings high, she kills it! I’ll get used to her take on the verses with a few more listens

I can't. I am not a fan, but it doesn't matter everyone has their own opinions for these songs. All in all this is a kick ass album.

Edited by Tourettes2400
  • Like 1

This is the best morning ever..

Looking at the track list I was thinking he could have picked better songs. Great songs, just stock and over covered. Well after a few songs in I guess I was wrong. Crossroads and Hoochie Coochie Man fucking rocked and I thought those were two of the most boring choices..

Only 5 songs deep so far but well done Saul.. Well done.

• Like 4

The song performed by The Temps is perfect to molecules and atoms, I  listen to it once a week and its arrangement has become classic and it is difficult and unusual to perceive the cover as a whole. It seems to me that it is very difficult to make something better or something else out of it, if not impossible. It is also difficult to make a cover of WTTJ where every note is also in its place. After all, Temptations is a vocal group and it was necessary to invite either several vocalists or a more vocally diverse singer here.

27 minutes ago, Free Bird said:

it could have been better with someone else less “poppy”.

She's only "poppy" because the recording industry steered her that way. She started as more of a rock singer, and seems to be going back that way.

Great to hear her singing on some proper music for once. And as the first Slash album proved, there's plenty of hidden gems out there when it comes to female rock singers, they just never get the chance to show that because it's not what teenage girls are paying for

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, DoMw94 said:

She's only "poppy" because the recording industry steered her that way. She started as more of a rock singer, and seems to be going back that way.

Great to hear her singing on some proper music for once. And as the first Slash album proved, there's plenty of hidden gems out there when it comes to female rock singers, they just never get the chance to show that because it's not what teenage girls are paying for

Yeah I don’t care for her back story, I’m going by my ears. I said poppy because I couldn’t find a better word. I just think her performance is missing edge. But fuck, I already love that song.

Well, that listen was a fun ride!

Biggest surprise was "Living in the City". I thought it was incredible. I don't think I know the original and didn't care for the Tash solo stuff I checked out but he and the song were fantastic.

Metal Chestnut was cool. It was just a little 2 minute "chestnut" thrown on the end of the album. I think people take things too seriously sometimes. There are hundreds of albums out there that throw on a little curveball extra at the end. I don't think it was meant to change the world.

I thought everything was great except the Iggy Pop song. Iggy ruined that one for me. He just came off as annoying and fake. That song could have been really good with someone else. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Free Bird said:

Just watched the world premiere of PWARS. Fucking great video and an unbelievable interpretation of this motherfucker of a song. Musically at least. Still think Demi wasn’t the best choice. It’s not like she’s annoying or something but it could have been better with someone else less “poppy”. But the music… the swapping into the solo parts! I’m in awe. Dude’s recorded a masterpiece within one week.

Agreed.  great version of the song.  Demi was good, not great. 

I'd love to hear Rod Jackson on this.  I've heard the snakepit version (live), but in my opinion he would be perfect for this in the studio.  Not that Demi was bad, she did pretty well.  

• Like 3