Slash's blues album set for May; single out now. SERPENT festival announced

10 hours ago, smoking guns said:

Hell yeah I am going. The venue you he is playing at is one of my all time favorite. This is a must see for me. 

ATL flights booked through work so I got a ticket for the gig now, just under $40 with all fees included :slash:

• Like 2
  • ABSUЯD 1

Metal Chestnut is great... if Slash would bring solo's like that back to GNR that would be amazing.

Other than that I like Hoochie Coochie Man and Key To The Highway the most.

Pretty good album of covers.

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, Chester 524 said:

Agreed.  great version of the song.  Demi was good, not great. 

I'd love to hear Rod Jackson on this.  I've heard the snakepit version (live), but in my opinion he would be perfect for this in the studio.  Not that Demi was bad, she did pretty well.  

Papa Was A Rolling Stone and Living For The City recorded for Ain't Life Grand are sitting in a vault somewhere. Hopefully released some day, if Slash ever gets around to revisiting those Snakepit albums.

No anniversary releases for either of them, maybe he's not very fond of them, or feels promoting those eras would somehow take attention away or diminish from SMKC, not sure. I have no doubt they are better versions than these ones now, that album was fucking amazing, and great production also. And of course Rod's vocals.

Edited by StrangerInThisTown
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Rindmelon said:

The mix's and mastering sounds amazing and natural. It sounds like a perfectly recorded record from the 70's & for these songs that works amazing well.

Yeah, it's a rare thing these days. Most modern rock productions sound like over compressed shit, really annoying.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, El Guapo said:

Yeah, it's a rare thing these days. Most modern rock productions sound like over compressed shit, really annoying.

I shudder to think what caram would have done with this. I still haven't listened to whole album yet but production is blowing me away. Nothing is too heavily EQ'd. It just sounds.... 'right' in some way.

• Like 2

Just listened to it. I guess I admire it for what it is and the purity of the intention behind it.

I'm not sure I'll listen to it again though. I guess I like blues influences rock, but not the blues genre itself.

The mixing etc. is excellent, as is the singing, playing etc.

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, lunastar said:

The song performed by The Temps is perfect to molecules and atoms, I  listen to it once a week and its arrangement has become classic and it is difficult and unusual to perceive the cover as a whole. It seems to me that it is very difficult to make something better or something else out of it, if not impossible. It is also difficult to make a cover of WTTJ where every note is also in its place. After all, Temptations is a vocal group and it was necessary to invite either several vocalists or a more vocally diverse singer here.

In this interview (starting at 12:17) Slash explains why he chose her. He says Rod Jackson is the only (male) singer he knows who can actually sing like the Temptations, so he went a different route

Edited by StrangerInThisTown

Posted (edited)
38 minutes ago, Rindmelon said:

I shudder to think what caram would have done with this. I still haven't listened to whole album yet but production is blowing me away. Nothing is too heavily EQ'd. It just sounds.... 'right' in some way.

Absolutely, makes me wanna turn up the volume and this album sounds even better played loud. 

Most new releases sound too loud even played at low volume.

PS: The Iggy song is fucking boring. XD

Edited by El Guapo
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Rindmelon said:

The mix's and mastering sounds amazing and natural. It sounds like a perfectly recorded record from the 70's & for these songs that works amazing well.

It wasn't attacked by a Protooligan, thank God.

2 hours ago, Free Bird said:

Just watched the world premiere of PWARS. Fucking great video and an unbelievable interpretation of this motherfucker of a song. Musically at least. Still think Demi wasn’t the best choice. It’s not like she’s annoying or something but it could have been better with someone else less “poppy”. But the music… the swapping into the solo parts! I’m in awe. Dude’s recorded a masterpiece within one week.

When I saw the song list for the album PWARS was one I thought I'd have zero interest in as it is so well traveled ground.

Sounds totally fresh though and yet still so much like Slash.

He'll never get the level of credit he deserves for how insane his ability to play anything in almost genre, make it sound like it's fits in, and yet still be uniquely identifiable as Slash.

There is no square peg in a round hole with him, and people will never understand how hard that is to do while simulatenously keeping your signature style sound.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Naupis said:

When I saw the song list for the album PWARS was one I thought I'd have zero interest in as it is so well traveled ground.

Sounds totally fresh though and yet still so much like Slash.

He'll never get the level of credit he deserves for how insane his ability to play anything in almost genre, make it sound like it's fits in, and yet still be uniquely identifiable as Slash.

There is no square peg in a round hole with him, and people will never understand how hard that is to do while simulatenously keeping your signature style sound.

That's the most impressive thing about this album. Really cool stuff. 

• Like 1

I still think Demi did great when she pushed her voice but I agree on some of the verses. It doesn't detract from the song for me. It is a killer performance all- around and she killed it when she pushed it. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Free Bird said:

This record makes me wanting to buy a new record player and listening to this on LP.

Well, it's good that you didn't pre-order then because there's now a great looking purple LP variant that was announced today.

I loved The Pusher, but I love Black Crowes, so there's that.

PWARS sounded killer and the video is very funny with those dudes dancing a la Soul Train. 

Awful Dream has a weird cat solo. :lol:

Did you guys have the chance to catch Slash's after party video (for YouTube Premium)? It's short (9 min), but it's cool to see Slash talking about the band. Very cool backstage footage from Brian Johnson too.

• Like 4

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, Voodoochild said:

I loved The Pusher, but I love Black Crowes, so there's that.

PWARS sounded killer and the video is very funny with those dudes dancing a la Soul Train. 

Awful Dream has a weird cat solo. :lol:

Did you guys have the chance to catch Slash's after party video (for YouTube Premium)? It's short (9 min), but it's cool to see Slash talking about the band. Very cool backstage footage from Brian Johnson too.

Just saw the video as well, loved it.

The whole vibe is so cool and the album sounds exactly like it.

Slash even gave Tash some guitar solo spots. Slash N' Tash.

Edited by El Guapo
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

In this interview (starting at 12:17) Slash explains why he chose her. He says Rod Jackson is the only (male) singer he knows who can actually sing like the Temptations, so he went a different route

well lookie here… Slash playing with Randolph who he is going on tour with…. 10 years ago 

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, IrishgunnerII said:

I’ve seen that on the new album they covered papa was a rolling stone and had demi Lavato sing on it. I haven’t listen yet but that’s a big song to cover.

I think that’s what everybody thought but they did it justice. Great cover. Video is out on Youtube.

Edited by Free Bird
  • Like 3