Slash's blues album set for May; single out now. SERPENT festival announced

13 minutes ago, Tom-Ass said:

I am very excited for this album. I haven't been able to get into anything Gn'R related since World on Fire..  Hopefully Myles does not make an appearance. 

Yeah me too with WOF.

that came out a DECADE ago?! wtf

Edited by Ant000
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

28 minutes ago, Free Bird said:

I really hope he‘s well informed and knows what he‘s talking about. I somehow doubt it. Not saying he‘s lying but probably he‘s not remembering it correctly :shrugs:

21 minutes ago, Free Bird said:

A release date in March would mean he couldn‘t promote it like he use to promote his records. I think it‘s most likely that he‘ll finish the tour, promote it for one or two months with interviews for big magazines etc. and release it in summer.

Maybe it will have a single by March. All things considered ®. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Tom-Ass said:

I am very excited for this album. I haven't been able to get into anything Gn'R related since World on Fire..  Hopefully Myles does not make an appearance. 

It‘s probably the greatest news since the Ritz blu ray, I just hope the guest singers that will be announced are more promising than Demi Lovato.

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, Free Bird said:

It‘s probably the greatest news since the Ritz blu ray, I just hope the guest singers that will be announced are more promising than Demi Lovato.

There was that picture of Slash in the studio with Steven Tyler last year.  Steven can rock some blues...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Tom-Ass said:

There was that picture of Slash in the studio with Steven Tyler last year.  Steven can rock some blues...

That would be huge. But do you think he has something left in the tank regarding songwriting? 

13 minutes ago, Rindmelon said:

Isn't there a VR song called that? A version of one of the demos put out there for singers to try out 

Slash mentioned he had written a song with that title in 1999/2000 and gave it to Rod Jackson to put lyrics to:

Slash: I met all the guys at gigs. I met Rod Jackson and he put a lyric on a tape of mine, a song not on the album called ‘All Things Considered’. I didn’t know who he was, he was just a mutual friend from the neighbourhood, who knew Wes Arkeen.

https://www.a-4-d.com/t5252-2000-12-25-classic-rock-mr-brownstone-slash

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Tom-Ass said:

I'm guessing Myles will be on one song, but one song on an album isn't too bad... hopefully he's just on a bonus track (assuming there will be bonus tracks like the first Slash & Friends album).

3 hours ago, Free Bird said:

We go round in circles. If something is coming out in March we should know in a few weeks.

There was this pic that looks like it's from a video shoot...

437636157_419013090_1949765992083658_711

We wouldn't necessarily know in advance about a single, it could be a surprise drop at the same time as the album announcement. Drop the first single in March, wrap the SMKC tour, drop the album in May or June, tour, and repeat SMKC cycle at the end of the year... :shrugs:

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Blackstar said:

Slash mentioned he had written a song with that title in 1999/2000 and gave it to Rod Jackson to put lyrics to:

Slash: I met all the guys at gigs. I met Rod Jackson and he put a lyric on a tape of mine, a song not on the album called ‘All Things Considered’. I didn’t know who he was, he was just a mutual friend from the neighbourhood, who knew Wes Arkeen.

https://www.a-4-d.com/t5252-2000-12-25-classic-rock-mr-brownstone-slash

There is a version of this song out there floating around but doesn't sound like Rod Jackson singing.

1 hour ago, Gordon Comstock said:

I'm guessing Myles will be on one song, but one song on an album isn't too bad... hopefully he's just on a bonus track (assuming there will be bonus tracks like the first Slash & Friends album).

I'm late to the party. Is the next Slash album another solo project and unrelated to the Conspirators?

17 hours ago, SoulMonster said:

The consideration on who would sing on his record likely took place in the second half of 2008 while recording of vocals seems to have happened mostly in the first half of 2009. By then the final legal battle between Slash and Axl had just ended (it was dismissed in August 2008) and maybe Slash was ready to normalize relations with Axl, or maybe he was bitter about the legal wranglings, who knows.

Regardless, Axl was definitely still not entirely over it in late 2008:

uterwr10.jpg

And positively opposed to Slash in early 2009:

uterwr11.jpg

So yeah, I don't think Slash seriously considered reaching out to Axl and ask him to sing on his record in this period - referring to wanting the record out "in this millenium" was just a little jab at Axl.

I was going to say, "wasn't that around the time Axl called him a cancer? Why would he even consider him?" Makes sense it was actually before that.

19 hours ago, Towlie said:

Also need to keep in mind he's playing bass at the same time as singing, which for a song like this is insanely difficult. The level of focus required to exert anger while singing lyrical onslaught of a song along with playing an instrument might be a bit beyond reasonable expectation.

I've sang it while playing guitar. The vocals follow the riff enough that's it's not too crazy. It's when vocals contrast with the guitar that it's hard.

1 hour ago, Gordon Comstock said:

There was this pic that looks like it's from a video shoot...

437636157_419013090_1949765992083658_711

We wouldn't necessarily know in advance about a single, it could be a surprise drop at the same time as the album announcement. Drop the first single in March, wrap the SMKC tour, drop the album in May or June, tour, and repeat SMKC cycle at the end of the year... :shrugs:

I think the video shoot is related to the Magnatone amp.

• Like 1

On 1/27/2024 at 7:59 AM, Voodoochild said:

That’s upsetting. What did he do?

And what else did you see there? I thought this was really cool: 

Yeah that looks cool too. My brother played through the new Friedman 50w plexi which is part of their "Vintage" line and that's a cool amp. 

So we go to the Magnatone booth and finally there's not a lot of people around and it's open for us to play. My brother goes first, jams a few licks and a little bit of Dr Alibi, then I try it. Can't really turn it up at the level it's intended to be at so it's not as overdriven as it should be, but I play some licks and the riff from We're All Gonna Die then the Magantone guy (same guy who's in those videos that have been shared here) is like "hey other people want to play too." Other people was just one older guy who then takes the guitar and plugs into the other amp (the baby M-80 or whatever they're calling it) and plays old man blues licks. Like dude, we just want to play for a few minutes and try it out, we're not going to stay there for a long time. Their overall presention was very disappointing too, certainly not as good of a job that Marshall or someone would've done.

Oh the amp itself is just another Marshall copy, super overrated and way overpriced. I'm sure it sounds awesome at concert volume but it's designed for one particular sound, which you can get with lots of other amps too.

• Confused 1
  • Wow 2

3 hours ago, MaskingApathy said:

I had no doubts it’s for an upcoming single from the blues record, but now that you mentioned Magnatone… yeah you could be right, damn. 

6 hours ago, Gordon Comstock said:

Yep.

211.jpg.3a8ffca9ea25b29dafd426362a93b518.jpg

Always nice to see pictures like this. I saw it before but forgot about it. Problem with Slash is, you never know on how many projects he’s working on at the same time. If that’s really related to his solo record and that means Mike Clink is involved as a producer and also there are people like Steven Tyler guesting… Fuck off and give me that shit as soon as possible. But at the same time it can’t live up to the expectations it raises and it will be an even bigger disappointment if Dave Cobb remains the producer :lol:

• Like 2

10 hours ago, MaskingApathy said:

But why would he use that semi-hollow guitar for the Magnatone video?

10 hours ago, MaskingApathy said:

Yeah that looks cool too. My brother played through the new Friedman 50w plexi which is part of their "Vintage" line and that's a cool amp. 

So we go to the Magnatone booth and finally there's not a lot of people around and it's open for us to play. My brother goes first, jams a few licks and a little bit of Dr Alibi, then I try it. Can't really turn it up at the level it's intended to be at so it's not as overdriven as it should be, but I play some licks and the riff from We're All Gonna Die then the Magantone guy (same guy who's in those videos that have been shared here) is like "hey other people want to play too." Other people was just one older guy who then takes the guitar and plugs into the other amp (the baby M-80 or whatever they're calling it) and plays old man blues licks. Like dude, we just want to play for a few minutes and try it out, we're not going to stay there for a long time. Their overall presention was very disappointing too, certainly not as good of a job that Marshall or someone would've done.

Oh the amp itself is just another Marshall copy, super overrated and way overpriced. I'm sure it sounds awesome at concert volume but it's designed for one particular sound, which you can get with lots of other amps too.

Not sure how old you are, but the older guy may have looked like (meaning: $$$) he would be the target costumer for the company hahaha

Anyways, that sucks. And I totally get what you said about the amp. And it's a 100 piece limited run, which will no doubt make an already expansive gear into a collector's item. Fuck that.

13 hours ago, Rindmelon said:

Isn't there a VR song called that? A version of one of the demos put out there for singers to try out 

The VR before Scott sounded really good IMO. With a good producer, I think it would be really awesome. But I totally get why they didn't want to slap some generic LA singer on top of all that and instead wanted to try someone really different.