Killing Floor - Slash feat. Brian Johnson

11 hours ago, WhazUp said:

I came into this topic wanting to see what people thought of the Killing Floor cover, and instead its just a bunch of people arguing over SMKC and over-thinking things way more than Axl during the Chinese Democracy era :lol:

Instead of extrapolating and guessing what Slash's heart is or isn't into, what do we all think about this Killing Floor cover?  I personally like it a lot, and I like seeing Slash do his own thing with it unrelated to Zeppelin's variation which turned into The Lemon Song

The topic was rather dead for a while, before I began stirring the pot a little again. We can always go back to being boring I guess, lol. I really thought some of my takes might be "hot", but I unexpectedly got confronted with reading even wilder things, like people actually convinced Slash isn't a dude living in 2024, browsing Youtube on his phone, like everyone else. And how he can never possibly look up his own new exciting project he just launched.:lol:What a hot take I have don't I, believing the opposite. Made some posters go "WOW", lol:lol:

Edited by StrangerInThisTown
  • Confused 1
  • Wow 1

2 hours ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

like people actually convinced Slash isn't a dude living in 2024, browsing Youtube on his phone, like everyone else. And how he can never possibly look up his own new exciting project he just launched.:lol:

Nobody once ever said that, except you...

42 minutes ago, DoMw94 said:

Nobody once ever said that, except you...

How about instead of cluttering the thread with even more of this nonsense you go back and read my earlier reply to you, that you choose to ignore, where I already explained in detail to you and the other guy who claimed he wouldn't be checking Youtube views how that's an absurd take in 2024.

• Haha 1

I‘m pretty sure Slash knows how his projects are received, regardless if he uses his smartphone or not.

I believe as long as Myles is on board he’ll continue with the Conspirators simply because it’s easy going. He makes music and can tour it. He has GNR for the big money and he still seems to have enough time for side projects like Orgy For The Damned and more.

He probably needs all that and I‘m fine with it. The more music he makes, the better IMO.

• Like 4

18 hours ago, Free Bird said:

I already quoted them. You can go back and read them or not. I really don’t care at this moment ;)

You quoted "From the last two albums, only Fill My World has a good riff. The rest is completely forgettable."

Do I need to qualify every opinion with "in my opinion" just for you? Nowhere in that quote do I declare this to be a fact.

18 hours ago, MaskingApathy said:

Why what?

Why does "anyone who says that his heart is no longer in SMKC [have] no idea what they're talking about"? What information are they missing?

Edited by evilfacelessturtle
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, evilfacelessturtle said:

You quoted "From the last two albums, only Fill My World has a good riff. The rest is completely forgettable."

Do I need to qualify every opinion with "in my opinion" just for you? Nowhere in that quote do I declare this to be a fact.

Why does "anyone who says that his heart is no longer in SMKC [have] no idea what they're talking about"? What information are they missing?

The information that they're missing is that he and the rest of the guys are having a blast on the current tour, which is obvious if you see any videos from recent shows but I also have firsthand knowledge of this. 

Also Frank posted this today: 

https://www.instagram.com/p/C4wJomPv3Yq/?igsh=OG9wZDU1ZGtrdzl6

• Like 3

14 hours ago, MaskingApathy said:

The information that they're missing is that he and the rest of the guys are having a blast on the current tour, which is obvious if you see any videos from recent shows but I also have firsthand knowledge of this. 

Since this discussion you're still having is coming from a point I've made, let me clarify I didn't question whether he enjoys the live shows. That was never really even a question, he always has.

(But even then if we really want to get into it, nothing "is obvious". He looks like he's having a blast when you watch shows he played with VR. It proves nothing - what does that prove? This destroys your entire argument. The only thing that you can deduct and that "is obvious", is that clearly he enjoys playing live, and always has, with any band.)

What I meant by his heart is not in it since the GNR reunion, the comment that people have been ridiculous about - I'm refering to the quality of the albums. They clearly took a hit. And you'd have to be a real idiot to believe that's just a big coincidence, or that it has to do with anything else. It clearly took the wind out of the sails for SMKC in terms of creativity and how into composing new material for that band Slash has been since then, it got relegated from being the main focus in his life into the side thing for downtime..and it shows. The entire existence of SMKC has completely turned into just an excuse to tour, it's all "fuck it this'll do" for the albums. That's not what I call having your heart in it.

The 3 albums before the GNR reunion vs the 2 albums we got after the reunion, they just speak for themselves. And the numbers prove it, do we have to get into those again, I'd rather not. This whole discussion is more suited for the "Where do we go now?" topic anyways.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, MaskingApathy said:

Lots of people remark on how Slash doesn't jump around or move much while playing with GNR. Does that mean it's "obvious" Slash's heart isn't in GNR? That's just your opinion. Disagreeing with your subjective opinion isn't "not knowing what you're talking about".

Also, every band on earth says they're the happiest they've ever been in the moment. You can find interviews of Slash in 1993 talking about how GNR is such a tight knit band of brothers. You can watch him having a blast onstage with Snakepit in 2001, later calling all those guys "junkies" in his book. It's not until after the fact that anyone admits they weren't satisfied.

Now I'm not the guy saying SMKC is gonna split, but I do think Slash is a lot less inspired with the project than pre-2016, and I judge that based on the creativity of the writing. Like I said, it could be that Slash is now saving the best stuff for Guns, and he still enjoys SMKC as a side project regardless. I've lost interest in it though.

6 hours ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

It clearly took the wind out of the sails for SMKC in terms of creativity and how into composing new material for that band Slash has been since then, it got relegated from being the main focus in his life into the side thing for downtime..and it shows. The entire existence of SMKC has completely turned into just an excuse to tour, it's all "fuck it this'll do" for the albums. That's not what I call having your heart in it.

Yeah that's absolutely not true but you and @evilfacelessturtlecan think whatever you want. I'm going off of what I've been told recently by people associated with the band, not random internet speculation.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, MaskingApathy said:

Yeah that's absolutely not true but you and @evilfacelessturtlecan think whatever you want. I'm going off of what I've been told recently by people associated with the band, not random internet speculation.

There's been a nosedive in quality from WOF to LTD and 4... I'm sure Slash enjoys SMKC and of course the rest of the band enjoys it, but is he as passionate about it as he was 10-12 years ago? Probably not. I can see where these other users are coming from, the last couple albums were stale and they seem to exist just as an excuse for Slash to tour.

Killing Floor was such a breath of fresh air, even though it's an old song. It's way more fun than anything on 4. The last minute of Monsters is the most 'classic Slash' moment I've heard in a while. At this point it does seem like once he has 10-12 ideas, he assembles SMKC and they quickly do an album so they can hit the road. :shrugs:

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

23 minutes ago, EvanG said:

pfft, that's nothing, the entry to the Eurovision from my country hit almost 14 million views after three weeks and that's a relatively unknown artist.

But that‘s Eurovision. I won‘t compare it to Eurovision songs, the Ken performance from the Oscars or anything. I‘ll compare it to the Perhaps video. The General Video wasn’t well received so I won‘t compare Killing Floor to it neither.

• Like 1

Obviously I was kidding, you can't compare an 80s rocker playing a cover to a young and modern artist who has the marketing machine of the Eurovision to help him. As for The General not being well received, depends where you look, on YT it gets mostly positive reactions, obviously not here because this is MYGNR.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, EvanG said:

Obviously I was kidding, you can't compare an 80s rocker playing a cover to a young and modern artist who has the marketing machine of the Eurovision to help him. As for The General not being well received, depends where you look, on YT it gets mostly positive reactions, obviously not here because this is MYGNR.

Is it though? 

Compare it to Perhaps, Hardskool, and Absurd, it has the fewest views and the fewest likes (relative to views).

And while the majority of the comments on Hardskook and Perhaps are positive, a lot of the comments on The General are jokes regarding the overuse of AI.  Not saying there aren't people who respond positively to it (I enjoy it), but it definitely didn't perform or resonate as well as the previous GNR singles (based on both concrete and anecdotal impressions).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, downzy said:

Is it though? 

Compare it to Perhaps, Hardskool, and Absurd, it has the fewest views and the fewest likes (relative to views).

And while the majority of the comments on Hardskook and Perhaps are positive, a lot of the comments on The General are jokes regarding the overuse of AI.  Not saying there aren't people who respond positively to it (I enjoy it), but it definitely didn't perform or resonate as well as the previous GNR singles (based on both concrete and anecdotal impressions).

I wasn't comparing the reaction to The General to the other three songs. I was reacting to the poster who said The General wasn't received well. On this forum it wasn't, that's true, but on other platforms, like for example YouTube, most reactions are positive.

36 minutes ago, EvanG said:

I wasn't comparing the reaction to The General to the other three songs. I was reacting to the poster who said The General wasn't received well. On this forum it wasn't, that's true, but on other platforms, like for example YouTube, most reactions are positive.

Most reactions in there are also written in Spanish and Portuguese 
(I'm from Spain in case anyone thinks I'm being racist or something)

• Haha 2

10 minutes ago, Uncle Bob said:

Most reactions in there are also written in Spanish and Portuguese 
(I'm from Spain in case anyone thinks I'm being racist or something)

Most are in English actually, but yeah, some are in another language, what's your point?