Killing Floor - Slash feat. Brian Johnson

1 hour ago, Blackstar said:

It's not so surprising, really, if you think of it as GN'R + AC/DC. Even just a portion of the fan bases of the two bands (especially AC/DC - I can imagine how many AC/DC fans would be interested in new studio vocals from Brian) would be enough to generate these views. Plus, it's good, so many of the people who checked it out have probably watched it a few times.

Not to mention Aerosmith fans too!

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Rovim said:

for you. my favorite version though. I even prefer it over the Howlin' Wolf classic.

edit: but how can it be "futile" when Slash's version seems to bring a lot of joy to so many people? silly take, no offense. I guess you were just trying to give praise to Jimi's version but I still disagree

The LZ versions from 69 and The Lemon Song rock, too

• Like 1

14 hours ago, 22frets said:

I'm just in awe of how good the editing on the music video is. It's a stark contrast when compared to the recent GnR releases we got that look like they were thrown together by an intern in a hurry. 

You didn't like the editing of the Perhaps video?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SoulMonster said:

You didn't like the editing of the Perhaps video?

Perhaps was one of the decent ones with some pretty cool live footage. But I still like Killing Floor's video more.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Wasn’t the biggest fan of the song but I got used to the parts that annoyed me and the rest is super cool. What a performance and what a great decision to let Steven play the harmonica spontaneously. That’s a huge improvement for the song. Also great guitar by Slash. And then the production. Asking myself why it lasted that long to have Mike Clink as producer again. In combination with this nice video, it’s a strike. Well done.

Edited by Free Bird
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, MaskingApathy said:

I'm hoping that this leads to Mike Clink doing the next SMKC record. Such an improvement in production compared to 4.

The production of 4 is the biggest issue with that record 

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, Free Bird said:

Agreed. The other big issue is that there's plenty of cool song ideas but they needed a good producer to develop them into something better (take them from good to great). I think Clink would've done a better job than Dave Cobb.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Free Bird said:

Wasn’t the biggest fan of the song but I got used to the parts that annoyed me and the rest is super cool. What a performance and what a great decision to let Steven play the harmonica spontaneously. That’s a huge improvement for the song. Also great guitar by Slash. And then the production. Asking myself why it lasted that long to have Mike Clink as producer again. In combination with this nice video, it’s a strike. Well done.

Yeah I honestly didn’t like much on first impression (aside from the cool vid), but it’s grown on me.

Slash’s solo is more interesting than I gave credit, too. I’m so used to his modern noodling I think I kinda tuned out first pass.  Cool that he busted out the 335.

Pusherman with Chris Robinson is over 7 mins long… should be ample room for some cool shit in there! Black Crowes circa 2024 doesn’t interest me, but Chris can still bring it. 

Edited by Ant000

3 hours ago, guitarpatch said:

The live lp they released for record store day is a much better representation of those songs 

Totally agree. It’s the only version I go back to.

5 hours ago, MaskingApathy said:

Agreed. The other big issue is that there's plenty of cool song ideas but they needed a good producer to develop them into something better (take them from good to great). I think Clink would've done a better job than Dave Cobb.

Could help the one or the other but all in all I really dig the songs and their simplicity tbh.

4 hours ago, Ant000 said:

Yeah I honestly didn’t like much on first impression (aside from the cool vid), but it’s grown on me.

Slash’s solo is more interesting than I gave credit, too. I’m so used to his modern noodling I think I kinda tuned out first pass.  Cool that he busted out the 335.

Pusherman with Chris Robinson is over 7 mins long… should be ample room for some cool shit in there! Black Crowes circa 2024 doesn’t interest me, but Chris can still bring it. 

Yeah, I think almost every cover song on the album is gonna be longer than the original with a few exceptions maybe. Assuming the length on wikipedia for the new record is correct, of course. A lot of space to jam. Somewhere I read Billy Gibbons and Gary Clarke Jr are playing guitar as well on the songs they are featured. Enough time to share some solos. Two fucking months to wait…

• Like 1

On 3/11/2024 at 9:35 PM, StrangerInThisTown said:

it was by FAR the worst bomb of SMKCs singles which probably woke Slash up and decided it's time to move ahead and do something different.

Except he's still playing with SMKC, touring to promote that very album, and has plans for another. He's hardly moved onto something different, he's just doing something else in addition to SMKC

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Free Bird said:

Same problem with Greta Van Fleet's latest record. Lots of good songs on there, the production just leaves them sounding somewhat underwhelming

1 hour ago, DoMw94 said:

Same problem with Greta Van Fleet's latest record. Lots of good songs on there, the production just leaves them sounding somewhat underwhelming

Common thread there, Dave Cobb produced the GvF record also. Pretty much every "rock" type of record that he's produced has sounded worse than other albums by the same band (another good example is Boneshaker by Airbourne), unless it was mixed by someone else (like the California Breed album which was mixed by Vance Powell). I guess Dave is good at making country records but he has no idea how to make a rock record that sounds like it was recorded in this century. 

Common thread there, Dave Cobb produced the GvF record also. Pretty much every "rock" type of record that he's produced has sounded worse than other albums by the same band (another good example is Boneshaker by Airbourne), unless it was mixed by someone else (like the California Breed album which was mixed by Vance Powell). I guess Dave is good at making country records but he has no idea how to make a rock record that sounds like it was recorded in this century. 

I didn't realise he did Boneshaker and California Breed. They're not as bad as 4 and Starcatcher imo. Well, sound-wise at least, the songs themselves aren't as strong.

My feeling around 4 and Starcatcher is that they just sound a little 'thin', if that makes sense? Hearing the GVF songs live last year just went to show that those songs can and should have much more of a punch.

3 minutes ago, DoMw94 said:

Hearing the GVF songs live last year just went to show that those songs can and should have much more of a punch.

Same with the songs from 4, they sounds much better live.

4 minutes ago, DoMw94 said:

I didn't realise he did Boneshaker and California Breed. They're not as bad as 4 and Starcatcher imo. Well, sound-wise at least, the songs themselves aren't as strong.

My feeling around 4 and Starcatcher is that they just sound a little 'thin', if that makes sense? Hearing the GVF songs live last year just went to show that those songs can and should have much more of a punch.

California Breed was really good because (apart from being mixed by Vance Powell who is an audio wizard) Glenn Hughes and co had really good songs to begin with and they had everything prepared and ready to go (and Glenn is a great songwriter).

Another record that he ruined is the last Sammy Hagar and the Circle album. Songs could've been better, production was disappointing. And he told Sammy to not play guitar and just focus on singing so that he could play guitar (which is a douche move imo).

• Like 1

Just now, MaskingApathy said:

Same with the songs from 4, they sounds much better live.

Looking forward to experiencing them live in a couple of weeks!

California Breed was really good because (apart from being mixed by Vance Powell who is an audio wizard) Glenn Hughes and co had really good songs to begin with and they had everything prepared and ready to go (and Glenn is a great songwriter).

I haven't listened to it in a while so I need to revisit it, but I do remember the drums and bass having that 'punch you in the face' quality that 4 and Starcatcher are severly lacking.

Funnily enough, California Breed were one of the openers when I saw SMKC in 2014, my first-ever concert. Shame they didn't last.

• Like 1

Looking forward to experiencing them live in a couple of weeks!

I haven't listened to it in a while so I need to revisit it, but I do remember the drums and bass having that 'punch you in the face' quality that 4 and Starcatcher are severly lacking.

Funnily enough, California Breed were one of the openers when I saw SMKC in 2014, my first-ever concert. Shame they didn't last.

Yeah they were awesome back then, although I think by that point Jason Bonham had left and they had gotten Joey Castillo to fill in for the tour (major downgrade from Jason imo). Glenn and Andrew had a falling out too I think so that was the end of the band. Tbh I think it was just one of those magical things that just happens once; I don't think they would've been able to top that album.

15 hours ago, evilfacelessturtle said:

That recent Loudwire video where Duff says they wanted Mutt Lange to produce AFD makes me really want to hear him do the next SMKC album. They need his guidance. He had a hand in song arrangement for Back in Black.

Since when was the complaint about SMKC the song arrangement, like ever? I don't recall even reading that once, in all my 8 years on here lol. What complaint you are guaranteed to read every time, and it's the same every time a new album comes out: is that people actually LIKE the music and the songs, but Myles voice is making all the songs sound the same or that it's too whiny for them. No producer song-rearrangement or guidance is going to help fix that for people, and that seems to be the one main reason why people can't get into SMKC.

Edited by StrangerInThisTown

11 hours ago, Free Bird said:

That Live At Studios 60 recording sounds better than the actual studio recording speaks volumes 

I don't think they sound better really. Different, sure, but I wouldn't go as far as to say they're a major improvement

I don't think they sound better really. Different, sure, but I wouldn't go as far as to say they're a major improvement

To me it clearly sounds better, but not only this, it’s even better mixed. There’s a huge difference to the absolute dreadful studio recording.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Free Bird said:

To me it clearly sounds better, but not only this, it’s even better mixed. There’s a huge difference to the absolute dreadful studio recording.

The drum sound really ruins it for me sadly