Has the "regrouping" ruined the hype for a possible future AFD Reunion?

First off, I'm thrilled that Axl, Slash, and Duff have finally shared the stage again, and I'm really excited to see the new lineup. That being said, I would have loved to see the AFD lineup and it got me thinking. Say in 5 or 10 years they decide to do an AFD reunion, does this regrouping heavily affect the hype? I think to most people Axl and Slash are the only faces that matter, so would an Appetite reunion even really matter to many people who aren't big fans? Especially without new music, I'm curious how long the hybrid GN'R and/or the AFD lineup could keep playing stadiums in the US. 

5 minutes ago, theconspirator said:

First off, I'm thrilled that Axl, Slash, and Duff have finally shared the stage again, and I'm really excited to see the new lineup. That being said, I would have loved to see the AFD lineup and it got me thinking. Say in 5 or 10 years they decide to do an AFD reunion, does this regrouping heavily affect the hype?

Yes, I would think it does.

5 or 10 years? We don't even know whats going to happen with this line up next year lol.

Well I would really love to see Izzy and Steven on board, after so many years they deserve to be there, especially Steven and they are not "Guests"

I would also like the current band, well Axl, Slash and Duff to do interviews and tell why Izzy and Steven were not involved.

I hope Izzy shows up in Vegas, its his birthday. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, theconspirator said:

First off, I'm thrilled that Axl, Slash, and Duff have finally shared the stage again, and I'm really excited to see the new lineup. That being said, I would have loved to see the AFD lineup and it got me thinking. Say in 5 or 10 years they decide to do an AFD reunion, does this regrouping heavily affect the hype? I think to most people Axl and Slash are the only faces that matter, so would an Appetite reunion even really matter to many people who aren't big fans? Especially without new music, I'm curious how long the hybrid GN'R and/or the AFD lineup could keep playing stadiums in the US. 

5-10 years I am sad to say I am guessing there is a good chance at least 1 member of the "classic" lineup might not be around anymore or physically unable to play, to many drugs ingested in their early years and they are all going to be in their 60s or close to it

and the reality is for 99% of the public having Slash and Axl there is the "real" reunion, if they are ever to get the 5 original members going for a reunion, there is no doubt they will be able to fill arenas, but as far as the hype, now is the chance to fill the Stadiums and I am not sure they are even able to fill them, it is going to be interested to see how the sales are after the Citi Presale tomorrow, if it is looking like there are alot of tickets still available this Stadium tour could be a disaster

Yeah, this is the reunion a lot of people were waiting for. Everyone would love Izzy or Adler/Sorum involved for nostalgia purposes, but I really hope this regrouping is to make new music happen. Just one album would be worth it.

Yeah the excitement  for the whole thing went from an 11 to a 2 overnight...This is nothing other than Slash joing NuGnR... I was so stoked all day Friday. Like I haven't been that excited for anything in a long time.. It ended up just being pretty close to the NuGnR that I could never get into.. Now I could give a rats ass about Vegas and I wish I didnt shell out all this money to go.. I was gonna suck it up and deal with Fortus and Ferrer. But adding the lame chick with ridiculous synths just fucking ruins it.. Nevermind wasting setlist spots with shit CD songs. Better is just god awful..

• Like 3

We are just witnessing the last big thing that GnR will deliver to us - Reunion has always be the big thing everybody wanted to see - if the hype dies down in 2 years there will not be anything specials anymore from this band (as I don't think they will deliver another iconc album together).

If they are not able to play stadiums anymore I guess the renewed friendship between axl and slash will also end and they will go their seperate ways again - will be very interesting to see how their careers will continue after this whole reunion tour...

Calling this a regrouping instead of a reunion puts a slight damper on things.  I've seen a lot of comments, not just on forums, but social media in general, where people are especially bummed about Izzy's non involvement.  While it's very cool that Axl and Slash are together again on the same stage, I do think this would be a bigger deal if it could have been billed with the original AFD band.  But if its not happening now I definitely don't see it happening in 5 or 10 years from now.  It's not like Axl will sound any better in his 60's.  Hopefully we'll find out why the hell they just couldn't make it work out now with the 5 band members most people care about seeing together again.  Sure 3 is better than none, but 5 would have made this perfect.

If you do get a Stradlin/Adler guest spot, less likely than individually, that would be your AFD reunion however it would probably be just for a few shows and for four songs since the persistence of a second pianist, and the playing of CD songs seems to suggest that Axl is adamant on retaining a nugnr element. He is basically saying with those decisions, ''Look guys, Nugnr were not a complete disaster and this is a continuation''. It is a face saving thing. So this is a Nugnr-Old gnr clunker. The possibility of an appetite reunion with any degree of permanence seems unlikely now. This is it (to quote Michael Jackson). This is as close you will get to bona fide. 

I don't want to see GNR in 5-10 years from now. They will be too old, I'm gonna be horribly old and I don't want to.

It is now or never. And the last opportunity for the AFD lineup to reunite will be next year. Maybe it does happen. I hope it happens. It's their last chance while they are not so old yet.

• Like 2

I'm pretty happy with this regrouping! Most of has only seen a few really short videos of this line-up. There is so much more to come: shows, better videos, probably a few songs that haven't been played live in years. (And they got to do a European tour.)

I don't understand how anyone can not be excited about this? This is a good time to be Guns N' Roses -fan!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, killuridols said:

I don't want to see GNR in 5-10 years from now. They will be too old, I'm gonna be horribly old and I don't want to.

It is now or never. And the last opportunity for the AFD lineup to reunite will be next year. Maybe it does happen. I hope it happens. It's their last chance while they are not so old yet.

Yeah for sure.

The age thing is already a factor... and this kind of music feels the effect of age way worse than stuff like the Stones.

This is it!

50 minutes ago, theconspirator said:

not really at all. if I'm not mistaken 5 is still > 3 

When people look back, 2016 will likely be the year GnR reunited because to the general public its all about Axl + Slash.

In a few years, when everyone has seen them and they can't get away with selling out stadiums for outrageous prices, I could see an AFD reunion as a way to boost sales.    But Izzy is always a wildcard and its not known if Steven has it in him for a tour at that scale.    

Going forward, its probably Axl, Slash, Duff, Richard, Frank, Dizzy. 

21 minutes ago, Tom-Ass said:

Yeah the excitement  for the whole thing went from an 11 to a 2 overnight...This is nothing other than Slash joing NuGnR... I was so stoked all day Friday. Like I haven't been that excited for anything in a long time.. It ended up just being pretty close to the NuGnR that I could never get into.. Now I could give a rats ass about Vegas and I wish I didnt shell out all this money to go.. I was gonna suck it up and deal with Fortus and Ferrer. But adding the lame chick with ridiculous synths just fucking ruins it.. Nevermind wasting setlist spots with shit CD songs. Better is just god awful..

I totally agree. I can deal with Fortus because he's a great player and in my opinion fits better than Gilby from what I've seen. Not a fan of Ferrer since he keeps trying to change up the songs. What the fuck was with the extra hi hat beat in WTTJ??? But the extra synth makes no sense. Why is that role even necessary? And there are so many other and better songs to pick than anything on Chinese. 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Tom-Ass said:

Its actually less members on stage than the UYI tour, and 4 out of 6 of the core band.    

Give the CD stuff a chance.. Slash could potentially change them up enough that you might find them likable.

Edited by CardinalGunner

55 minutes ago, Slash787 said:

I would also like the current band, well Axl, Slash and Duff to do interviews and tell why Izzy and Steven were not involved.

Right?! I mean, we still don't even know what the deal is with those two. Did Izzy not want to be part of it, or didn't he agree on certain aspects? It's crazy that we still don't know anything.

I wouldn't be surprised if by the end of summer we still don't know anything if they keep their mouth shut on all of this.

Edited by EvanG

17 minutes ago, janrichmond said:

I just can't see this 'reunion' lasting into next year.I just think it is Axls swan song.

it's the final cash grab, everyone realizes that except for the young crowd who simply don't understand the history of the band and RnR in general. there's a few older fans as well who are in complete denial, but they'll figure it out soon enough.

i'll be surprised if they can even finish the summer tour as advertised and announced currently. the only thing that might allow them to hold on is if there's strong wording in their contracts that state the tour must be completed in its entirety in order to receive full compensation.

there will never be a new album with entirely new material, never. there might be a 'new' token song or two thrown out there, but even that would be some heavily reworked stuff that never made it.

this is not a true 'band' in any way shape or form, it's a marketing machine driven farewell for nostalgia seekers. absolutely zero chance this thing will last into 2017. zero.

• Like 2

Next year is the 30th anniversary of Appetite For Destruction.  If everything goes well this year, I'd be shocked if we don't see the classic 5 at some point on stage together in 2017.  Heck, we may see them well before then.

Edited by Kasanova King
  • Like 1

58 minutes ago, killuridols said:

I still think Izzy and Steven... partially Izzy, could join along the way this year. Izzy did it for awhile in 1993 when Gilby was hurt so there's precedent. I wouldn't lose hope.

36 minutes ago, paranoyd androyd said:

it's the final cash grab, everyone realizes that except for the young crowd who simply don't understand the history of the band and RnR in general. there's a few older fans as well who are in complete denial, but they'll figure it out soon enough.

i'll be surprised if they can even finish the summer tour as advertised and announced currently. the only thing that might allow them to hold on is if there's strong wording in their contracts that state the tour must be completed in its entirety in order to receive full compensation.

there will never be a new album with entirely new material, never. there might be a 'new' token song or two thrown out there, but even that would be some heavily reworked stuff that never made it.

this is not a true 'band' in any way shape or form, it's a marketing machine driven farewell for nostalgia seekers. absolutely zero chance this thing will last into 2017. zero.

I'm afraid you may be right....there will be a lot of disappointed fans unfortunately, Had it been the classic line up and ten years ago it would have been amazing.I hope we are wrong for the young fans because I fear this might be as close to GNR as they are going to get...