George Michael has passed away

Powerage5

What a shock. This one hits me the most out of all celebrity deaths this year. It's the one I once considered myself a fan of. I was so crazy about him in the 80s. I still enjoy many of his songs today. Club Tropicana puts an instant smile on my face, he was so sexy in the Faith video, I loved his duets with Aretha Franklin and Mary J. Blige, Careless Whisper made me cry, Last Christmas of course, and Freedom 90 is still such a great song with a great video. RIP George. :cry:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

I have a weekly gathering at my house to spin records every Friday. Someone pulled Faith this past week and there were some objections from the group. We played it straight through and I schooled everyone on exactly what I bad ass George is.

I can't believe I have to say "was" now. :( Heartbroken.

Yeah. I give Faith and others a listen through every few months. He had a great voice and was a really decent writer. I was'n't a mega fan as such  but definitely a fave solo artist for me. I even still listen to Wham on occasion - reminds me of school disco's. :lol:

He obviously hadn't been in good shape for a few years but this is still sad and a bit unexpected. RIP George.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

I have a weekly gathering at my house to spin records every Friday. Someone pulled Faith this past week and there were some objections from the group. We played it straight through and I schooled everyone on exactly what I bad ass George is.

"Axl’s favorite record in 1987 was Faith."

http://www.spin.com/2009/04/inquisition-tough-questions-duff-mckagan/

I remember watching the videos for Fastlove and his cover of As repeatedly on MTV back in '96 and '99. Jesus to a Child seemed to be playing in every hotel restaurant in Abu Dhabi in the late '90s:

37 minutes ago, beautifulanddamned said:

How strange that GNR is the entertainment phoenix to rise out of this dumpster fire of a fucking year. Bizarro world.

I just said the same thing to my wife. Who knew we'd be missing the likes of George Michael & O-+> but all of GN'R would still be around.

I hope stuff like this makes these guys wake up and realize that it ain't all about the scratch/loot/bread/dough/green/lettuce.

26 minutes ago, Amir said:

"Axl’s favorite record in 1987 was Faith.

You know why? Because as I informed the naysayers at my house last week; Faith is a righteous ass record.

More than a few people were converted that night.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

I just said the same thing to my wife. Who knew we'd be missing the likes of George Michael & O-+> but all of GN'R would still be around.

I hope stuff like this makes these guys wake up and realize that it ain't all about the scratch/loot/bread/dough/green/lettuce.

You know why? Because as I informed the naysayers at my house last week; Faith is a righteous ass record.

More than a few people were converted that night.

But what about the money?

• Like 1

Faith is probably my second favourite record of 1987 (not SOTT as much of a Prince fan that I am). Shit like One More Try and Kissing a Fool ain't standard pop shit. You gotta have chops to come up with those vocals.  Fantastic singer/artist. Total fucking garbage this year is. 

Edited by Johnny Drama
  • Like 1

Not a big fan, but still sad to hear. His version of Somebody To Love was absolutely grand. 

Also, just to let things sink in... 

25-12 - George Michael
24-12 - Rick Parfitt (Status Quo)
07-12 - Greg Lake (Emmerson, Lake & Palmer)
07-11 - Leonard Cohen
22-08 - Toots Thielemans
20-08 - Matt Roberts (3 Doors Down)
14-08 - James Wooley (Nine Inch Nails)
21-05 - Nick Menza (Megadeth)
21-04 - Prince
16-03 - Frank Sinatra Jr
11-03 - Keith Emmerson (Emmerson, Lake & Palmer)
08-03 - George Martin (The Beatles) 
18-01 - Glen Frey (Eagles)
10-01 - David Bowie

• Like 1