11/14/18 - Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia - Surf Beach Sunway Lagoon

alfierose

1 minute ago, N.Y Pizza said:

Ya know......it never shocks me how stupid people are. Axl uses sophisticated electronics to make his voice sound a certain way during a live show. Compressed vocals...or something like that. He's been doing it since Vegas 2000. His voice sounds waaay different without a ton of help. Best frontman ever. And at 56..... he's gotta make a living.

That being said, he was pretty raw during AC/DC. Micky Mouse is an illusion. His REAL voice is quite gravily. Again...... electronic wonders.

1 hour ago, RussTCB said:

Answers edited in above. 

I agree with this.  Unless someone is flying all ove the world seeing them at every show.  Fans want to see the hits, and they are playing them.  If you are sitting behind your keyboard, the show is not for you

• Like 2

9 hours ago, wasted said:

My guess is he sings clean and safe most of the time. But certain songs he lets loose. Early on a tour he plays it safe because he can. But if he plays with DC he has to risk it. 

It's like it's gotta be worth it now cause of the risk of damaging his voice is greater now that he's older if he's doing 2010 or AC/DC levels of brutal. that could mean he wants to save his voice so he could perhaps have more touring years in him, singing in that challenging hard rock style.

I believe he can still hit the notes and still has the power but maybe it's the smart choice to only sometimes bring it out for the sake of longevity and cause he's too lazy or not interested in practicing all the time which I can understand.

Also some people overreact like it's a new thing Axl sounds kinda weak in the start of a tour leg and they expect it to be consistent and for Axl to kill it like it's 1988. Gotta be careful, that's his moneymaker. Can't  rasp it the fuck up all the time without more damage and with no rehearsing at 56 years old.

Edited by Rovim

12 hours ago, N.Y Pizza said:

Ya know......it never shocks me how stupid people are. Axl uses sophisticated electronics to make his voice sound a certain way during a live show. Compressed vocals...or something like that. He's been doing it since Vegas 2000. His voice sounds waaay different without a ton of help. Best frontman ever. And at 56..... he's gotta make a living.

Microphone effects do not make somebody sound like Mickey Mouse. 

The only vocal effects I can make out in GNR concert recordings is a bit of an echo effect in certain songs (tends to get used sometimes in Sweet Child O Mine. See the London 16th 2017 recordings of that song during Axl's "uh-ohs"). Everything else you hear from Axl's voice in concert recordings is absolutely Axl's real voice.

2 hours ago, Rovim said:

It's like it's gotta be worth it now cause of the risk of damaging his voice is greater now that he's older if he's doing 2010 or AC/DC levels of brutal. that could mean he wants to save his voice so he could perhaps have more touring years in him, singing in that challenging hard rock style.

I believe he can still hit the notes and still has the power but maybe it's the smart choice to only sometimes bring it out for the sake of longevity and cause he's too lazy or not interested in practicing all the time which I can understand.

Also some people overreact like it's a new thing Axl sounds kinda weak in the start of a tour leg and they expect it to be consistent and for Axl to kill it like it's 1988. Gotta be careful, that's his moneymaker. Can't  rasp it the fuck up all the time without more damage and with no rehearsing at 56 years old.

It’s rock n roll not a singing competition. They are still doing Coma and Estranged so the passion and fire are still there

• Like 1

8 hours ago, fabrph5 said:

I agree with this.  Unless someone is flying all ove the world seeing them at every show.  Fans want to see the hits, and they are playing them.  If you are sitting behind your keyboard, the show is not for you

Tako is the only one flying around the world to see them. I think she cares more about taking photos then the music.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Sydney Fan said:

They only reason they are doing coma is because at slashs request. 

Is that accurate? I thought I heard Axl say that he wanted to do it because he thought it would make Slash happy or something? I could be wrong but I thought I remembered that.. 

3 minutes ago, Tom-Ass said:

Is that accurate? I thought I heard Axl say that he wanted to do it because he thought it would make Slash happy or something? I could be wrong but I thought I remembered that.. 

Yes, you are right , me too heard it.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Tom-Ass said:

Yeah pretty much along those lines. I did read slash wanted to bring coma back into the set. So i guess everyone had to meet half way in terms of classic and CD stuff to create a setlist.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Sydney Fan said:

Yeah pretty much along those lines. I did read slash wanted to bring coma back into the set. So i guess everyone had to meet half way in terms of classic and CD stuff to create a setlist.

Not sure that playing a song off Use Your Illusions that Axl and Slash wrote and recorded together is really meeting half way with playing 8 songs off CD or whatever ridiculous number it was though. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, N.Y Pizza said:

Wow thats a new one

20 minutes ago, Tom-Ass said:

Not sure that playing a song off Use Your Illusions that Axl and Slash wrote and recorded together is really meeting half way with playing 8 songs off CD or whatever ridiculous number it was though. 

To be fair, Slash basically gets some extra solo spots with DTJ, WYWH, and RQ, and his actual solo spot is 10+ mins on average. And I quite enjoy his take on CD and the Better intro, TWAT is mostly Slash soloing, the CD songs usually sound pretty good instrumentally actually. (Although in Vancouver, Axl was good on CITR but Slash really botched the solo.) Also, Slither. I dunno, it seems kinda fair, with Coma that's at least 4-5 songs 'for Slash' plus a solo spot that could easily be replaced by at least 2 actual songs... It's not like Slash doesn't get his fair share of the spotlight during these shows. Although I agree, 8 CD songs is excessive, but have they played that many at any show other than the Forum?

18 hours ago, N.Y Pizza said:

Compression and limiting are used only as a way to control the volume variation, so you don't scream and completely overpower the rest of the music or so you can sing quietly but still be heard, it doesn't alter the way your voice sounds.  

19 minutes ago, Gordon Comstock said:

To be fair, Slash basically gets some extra solo spots with DTJ, WYWH, and RQ, and his actual solo spot is 10+ mins on average. And I quite enjoy his take on CD and the Better intro, TWAT is mostly Slash soloing, the CD songs usually sound pretty good instrumentally actually. (Although in Vancouver, Axl was good on CITR but Slash really botched the solo.) Also, Slither. I dunno, it seems kinda fair, with Coma that's at least 4-5 songs 'for Slash' plus a solo spot that could easily be replaced by at least 2 actual songs... It's not like Slash doesn't get his fair share of the spotlight during these shows. Although I agree, 8 CD songs is excessive, but have they played that many at any show other than the Forum?

No they didn't but it isn't uncommon for them to play 4 or 5 in a set.. Last time I saw them they did 5 and it was too much.. Two in the encore if I recall too.. Not saying that Slash is getting shorted of spotlight in any means thoough.. He is the only one that is on the stage the whole show every show. IMO he is carrying the most of the weight of the NITL tour on his shoulders and doing a damn fine job.  This lineup borders a complete mess and he keeps it from being that. 

• Like 2